If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

60532 Blue Peter

Discussion in 'Steam Traction' started by acorb, Feb 1, 2011.

1. acorb

acorb Part of the furniture

Can anyone shed any light on the future of this locomotive? A couple of years ago NELPG announced that it had reached agreement with the Drury family to commence an overhaul back to mainline condition but it continues to reside at Barrow Hill and all seems to have gone quiet. Whilst it's great that the loco is under cover, on public display and not deteriorating, surely the only place for this powerful engine is on the mainline. With an A1, several A4's and soon an A3 in steam, regularly running on the East Coast, it would complete the line up! I am guessing money and politics are the main factors as always, but the Tornado factor and it's namesake programme would surely assist with one of those issues. I for one hope that my only run behind it isn't my last.

2. class8mikado

class8mikado Part of the furniture

Print Estimator/ Repository of Useless Informatio.
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    I echo the sentiment entirely, i suspect that theres only so many projects NELPG can work on at once. Just thought id get this in before the 'but what colour should it be' starts

(ps has it ever been Blue... given the name and all that it does seem appropriate)

3. guycarr360

guycarr360 Part of the furniture

Think its defiantely politics, from what i gather the drury brothers have seen the value of Tornado, and think they are sitting on a goldmine.

Maybe if it was restored to working health it would be worth more than its current condition.

Read somewhere extensive firebox work was required approx £550,000, at last time of quotation, price of copper has rocketed since then so no idea what it would cost now.

Such a shame as it was always a strong and consistent performer...

4. class8mikado

class8mikado Part of the furniture

Print Estimator/ Repository of Useless Informatio.
    No I do not currently volunteer
    At that price you could probably get an all steel one made...no doubt the teething troubles with tornados will get sorted out.
    The dream scenario is of course a stable of 60163, 2007 - or -60164 and 60532, 1 spare boiler between the three...
    the only stumbling block is the willingness to join in this cozy arrangement, finding enough work for these three beasts to pay for themselves and the small matter of 3-4 Million quids to make it happen.

5. MarkinDurham

MarkinDurham Well-Known Member

Blue Peter back on the main line - ooh, yes please! I was on her last run - great day out. Seeing her hook off at Darlo & head away to the Moors was sad - I doubt that many then would have thought she would still be 'static' in 2011, but there it is...

I think that she has 'middle engine' issues too - obviously nothing impossible, as the Tornado gang have proved, but no doubt very pricy...

6. northernsteam

northernsteam Member

Used to be in civil engineering, highway bridges.
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Please don't start that one again.
    I would agree that NELPG have enough to do to keep their 4 engines going. But BP has always had a specially relationship with the group, especially after the Durham incident, and I am sure they would love to have a go again, but goodness knows when it could be fitted in. After the return of J27 to form I guess.
    BP is certainly missed out there on the ECML etc.
    ( ps-I don't think so but I could be wrong).

7. 61624

61624 Part of the furniture

Yes I am an active volunteer
    I believe the lmost recent proposal was for someone to fund the restoration and for it to be mostly done by contract with NELPG acting as caretakers of the engine, but an agreement couldn't be reached with the loco's owners.