If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

60010 Dominion of Canadas Neglect

Discussion in 'Steam Traction' started by ngaugekid, Mar 6, 2009.

1. ngaugekid

ngaugekid New Member

hi

did anyone see this months steam railway mag about domion of canadas neglect?

I think its disgraceful. I've created a group on facebook to support this issue.

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/grou ... 789&ref=mf

If you feel the same about it as me join.

Ngaugekid

2. 73129

73129 Part of the furniture

Re: 60010 Domion of Canadas Neglect

Well said that man.

Maybe Steam railway magazine could get on the case and get a petition up and running to repatriate her back home. I think there is a big enough following of this class of loco to get her back in steam again. Every time I'm at the MHR there seems to be a lot of interest in Bittern. She would look right at home on the GC.

3. stepney60

stepney60 Nat Pres stalwart

What would be the point? There's barely enough work out there for three operational A4s as we have at the moment, never mind another one! Don't knock the Canadian Railway Museum too much, Waddon was neglected for years, but then they dug her out and gave her a cosmetic restoration which makes most of the engines in the NRM look grimy and uncared for.

4. arthur maunsell

arthur maunsell Well-Known Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer

I agree with you Stepney....not a lot of point in bringing it home for the sake of it especially considering Tornado will be abstracting seats on bums from the A4's already in service.Better to lobby the Museum there to restore it and display it properley to emhasise to the Colonials that Britain invented the steam loco and lead the world until its demise. (same applies to Dwight too)

5. Diamond Gaz

Diamond Gaz Well-Known Member

Hmm, the appeal for cosmetic restoration is a good idea 73129, if Steam Railway could do an appeal to help fund the cosmetic restoration in Canada, it would certainly shut those up who complain they only ever do appeals for the GCR!

6. Kerosene Castle

Kerosene Castle Well-Known Member

You know, that's not a half bad idea.

7. arthur maunsell

no its not even a quarter of a good idea.... :-$

8. Western Bulleid

Western Bulleid Part of the furniture

Journalist

You don't agree then...

9. 60017

60017 Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Retired from corporate slavery :o)

Can I put my name down to go over on a working party ? Montreal is a fab night out ! LOL

10. arthur maunsell

You don't agree then...[/quote:1ro97uki]
    im easy.. \:D/ ..better to let the Canadians pay for it and appeal for a project this side of the Atlantic....how about a County Donegal 2-6-4t? (oops veering badly off topic now)

11. 22A

22A Well-Known Member

Administrator

OK you've mentioned the Terrier "Waddon" that's also at the Canada RR History Museum, but also abrod we have the A4 60008 at the American RR Museum; any idea of Dwight's condition please?
    Further afield there's three 04s in New South Wales, Australia; two at Dorigo and the other at Richmond Vale. Any news on those exiles please?

12. Dan Hamblin

Dan Hamblin Part of the furniture

Rolling Stock Engineer

It was repainted during the 1990's, and at some point after then the rods were painted silver.

Regards,

Dan

13. Western Bulleid

Western Bulleid Part of the furniture

Journalist

Could we do a Steam Railway appeal for a few of us to go out to Montreal to overhaul it cosmetically...?

14. athelney

athelney Member

Retired warranty administrator
    Yes I am an active volunteer

You don't agree then...[/quote:1pwkpqfr]
    im easy.. \:D/ ..better to let the Canadians pay for it and appeal for a project this side of the Atlantic....how about a County Donegal 2-6-4t? (oops veering badly off topic now)[/quote:1pwkpqfr]

Did anyone mention the 15 or so Canadian loco's that need a few bob for restoration at Delson. I was there last August and 60010 didn't look that bad - a bit dirty maybe - They had steps up to the cab - all things looked complete . I was there to see CP Hudson 2850 - now thats one I want to restore.!!
    Just inspected my photo-- paint a bit rough but nothing to write home about .

15. houghtonga

houghtonga Member

Chartered Engineer

Yes the alleged neglect is a concern, but there is a political problem with repatrioting them (unlike Repton, Tralee No.5 and the Swanage M7 etc.) as the two A4s were actually gifts by the British Railways Board (i.e.the UK Government) to the governments of the USA and Canada, not to the museums who adopted them on their behalf - to ask for them back would not be fair.
    The museums don't own them and their respective governments would be unlikely to release them fearing it being seen as an affront to the UK by returning or selling these gifts on.
    I think we would be much better off concerntrating our efforts supporting the groups who keep the locomotives we already have on the mainline in the UK. They will all be having a hard struggle in the years to come with the recession and ageing volunteers.

16. 34007

34007 Part of the furniture

There were photos recently that I saw from someone on this forum of pictures of 60010 being neglected. I think she certainly needs to come back to the UK and restored for mainline running if someone is willing to put in the time; as was Bittern to return her to steam.....

17. 61624

61624 Part of the furniture

Why do you all assume that no-one is doing anything about 60010? There is someone working behind the scenes to try to get it back, and the person in question has the resources to restore it to running order - although not necessarily to the main line. But all these people blundering about and proclaiming what a disgraceful state it has been allowed to get into is probably not helping him. For those of us without deep pockets, shouldn't we be concentrating our efforts on the scores of locos that are rusting away in our own country before getting too hot under the collar about this one?

18. nhthompson

nhthompson New Member

Engineer
    Re: 60010 Dominion of Canada's neglect

Quite right. The Facebook Campaign that started this thread seems to suggest that the British government should intervene in this issue. I suspect that Gordon Brown may have some more pressing issues right now.

19. Martin Perry

Martin Perry Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator Friend

Can anyone post any recent photos of 60010 on here, or link to them online?

I must have been to a different Montreal!!! Mind you it was about 25 years ago .....

20. SG-Canada

SG-Canada Member

Land Use Planner

You don't agree then...[/quote:1ug3we0c]
    im easy.. \:D/ ..better to let the Canadians pay for it and appeal for a project this side of the Atlantic....how about a County Donegal 2-6-4t? (oops veering badly off topic now)[/quote:1ug3we0c]

My understanding is that there was a movement afoot from the group that funded Waddon's repaint a number of years ago to do the same for the Dominion, but clearly that hasn't happened.

I have not been to the Canadian Railway Museum in Montreal since the mid 1990's, before their fancy new exhibition building was constructed in the past few years. As i understand it, the Dominion is inside, but probably in need of some care, but there are also a lot of significant Canadian Locomotives in the collection which also need that TLC. Sadly, for many years a large portion of the collection resided outside, which, if anyone knows anything about Canadian Winters is a great recipe for rust and deterioration.

I am hoping to get to Montreal this summer, part of the problem is that the CRM isn't really public transit accessible being in the well south suburbs of Montreal, and i hate driving to Montreal, there is far too much good beer to be had there to make that a good idea.