If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

5542 'lands' at the GWSR

Discussion in 'Heritage Railways & Centres in the UK' started by Ken_R, Jun 14, 2012.

1. Ken_R

Ken_R Member

5542 arrives at the GWSR at Winchcombe where it will remain until Xmas.

Tomorrow, Friday, will see it in steam for the purposes of Footplate Familiarisation and then, hopefully, on the Service train on Saturday.

Attached Files:

2. Andy B

Andy B Member

Steam test is today (friday), no need for footplate familiarisation (had it for 3 years during last ticket). As for running this weekend, yes there are two locos needed but I was told it might be just hot spare - I'll find out today.

3. The_Bristolian

The_Bristolian New Member

I don't think that she ran Saturday, but she certainly took out the Elegant Excursions dining train on Sunday.

4. Kinghambranch

Kinghambranch Well-Known Member

Retired
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    I visited the GWSR on Sunday (lovely day weather-wise and the railway looked great) and 5542 was indeed in charge of the Elegant Excursions lunchtime train. It looked as if it had just emerged from its "Bachmann Box!" A real credit to the owning group. I enjoyed my trip to Cheltenham Race Course and back behind 8F 8274 which also looks immaculate. Sadly 2807 was "off sick" with a piston which needs some fettling and this is under investigation. The loco looks very smart in its new paint job but it's a shame it isn't operating at the moment. I don't know when it will be but clearly the Group want it back in service asap. The trip to Laverton and back in the 2-car DMU was also very pleasant and the track on this section (being mostly continuously welded) gives a very smooth ride indeed. The concrete floor in the new diesel shed is now virtually done and 3 locos were in residence. I'll try and post some images of 5542 if I can.