If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

4TC Sets

Discussion in 'Heritage Rolling Stock' started by Fred Kerr, Mar 29, 2012.

1. Fred Kerr

Fred Kerr Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Freelance photo - journalist
    Seems no-one noticed that the front "teak" coach is actually part of a 4_TC 4-car trainset modified from MkI stock in 1966 to work the Weymouth -Bourrnemouth section powered by push/pull Class 33/1s specifically modified for the task. Given that Gresley had died some 25 years earlier and Thomson had been replaced by Peppercorn some 20 years earlier I wonder if some posters can actually identify a proper teak coach ?

2. Martin Perry

Martin Perry Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator Friend

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Re: Scotsman Overhaul updates

Isn't that set the whole LT 4-TC? Incidentally the 4-TCs were used for the whole Waterloo - Weymouth service, yes they were powered by the 33/1s between Weymouth and Bournemouth but the rest of the way they were powered by the slightly mental and remarkably fast 4-REP units.

3. Guest

Guest Part of the furniture Account Suspended

Occasional

4-TCs were self propelled Mk1s Fred - some posters most certainly knew and saw that!

4. Spamcan81

Spamcan81 Nat Pres stalwart

Training moles

Not self propelled Frank. The 4-TCs needed something to shove them around as they had no motors of their own.

5. fish7373

fish7373 Member

tube lines Northfields railway depot Piccadilly li

HI if you dont know the photo of the 4 tc belongs to london trainsport and is going to nights rail for HO for next years 150 on the met, but they dont look right, FISH7373 81C

6. Fred Kerr

Fred Kerr Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Freelance photo - journalist

Sorry to show your ignorance on this aspect TBF - but the 4_TC trainset was unmotored therefore not self-propelled; it did however have a driving cab at each end hence the confusion that if it had a driving cab it must have some form of self-propulsion. The SR had many ways of causing confusion but that's a thread drift too far; Sorry !

7. Guest

Guest Part of the furniture Account Suspended

Occasional

Ignorance about SR electrics - yep - 100% guilty - they frankly don't interest me one little bit Fred!

Now - back to a real railway icon!

8. Maunsell man

Maunsell man Well-Known Member

Senior Finance Auditor

I believe the teak-a-nised 4TCs' of LUL are now the last survivors and there were no REP survivors at all except the traction motors which went into the Wessex units. Bit of history under the vinyl laminate? They were converted from early MK1 stock and had the end toilet compartments converted into the driving ends and windows cut into the ends. Good old SR doing it on the cheap! They were designed to be shoved by the turbo-nutter REPs or a cl33 or 73 in push pull mode.

I seem to remember that LUL bought two 4TC sets for Steam on the Met and painted them bright red. In my semi-senile state I seem to recall one was scrapped and the other was clad in vinyl and was seen in the pic. Last time I saw it was probably 13 years ago and it looked an utter shed in its faded red.

Right - off to wuffle my anorak and find a girlfriend!

9. buseng

buseng Part of the furniture

Retired

The 4-REP motor coaches were new builds but the trailers inc the catering vehicles were loco hauled stock conversions. The last 4 built in 1974 were, however, all brand new. Seems each unit was only had just a lower power rating than a class 55!

British Rail Class 432 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

4-TC

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Rail_Class_438

Again it looks like all the original 4-TC's were loco hauled coach conversions, The 1974 built ones looks like a mixture of new builds & converting the original 3-TC's to 4-TC's.

10. Maunsell man

Senior Finance Auditor

Yep that is right. I was too busy with my anorak to put all the facts in correctly. The TCs were conversion and the REP motor / driving coaches were new build with conversions for trailers. The CIGS, BIGS & VEPS were all driven by a motor brake trailer coupled inside with driving trailers on the outside. The REP driving coaches had the traction motors and in effect were twice as powerful as a VEP,CIG, BIG etc.

Ohh this is so exciting talking about SR EMUs. Better than all that conjagated mcbobbin apple green tish....

11. Christopher125

Christopher125 Part of the furniture

Donning my own anorak, almost but not quite - they painted both sets in a Metropolitan maroon livery, one was disposed of after the last 'steam on the met' and is now at the MRC with donations being sought to restore it and operate it on the Swanage line. The second has vinyled and is currently at Eastleigh undergoing bogie work, though im rather hoping it will be returned to a painted finish...

Chris

12. Maunsell man

Senior Finance Auditor
    You have out-anoraked me sir!!

I doff my bobble hat to you.

13. buzby2

buzby2 Well-Known Member

Link to the private owner group: News

14. Freebie

Freebie New Member

Professional Railway Dinosaur

Actually there are some REP motors coaches converted into test train vehicles, still running around, still have the (de-motored) REP bogies under them and the cab windows plated over. Each REP motor coach was equal to one class 73, in fact in the latter days, as motor coaches were taken out to provide bits for the pigs, EDL's were used in the REP formation

15. richards

richards Part of the furniture

No I do not currently volunteer

These ones?

Departmentals & Internal Users - 999602 - Ultrasonic test train instrumentation coach « departmentals.com
    Departmentals & Internal Users - 999605 - Ultrasonic Test Train Coach « departmentals.com

Richard

16. 73129

73129 Part of the furniture

17. Maunsell man

Senior Finance Auditor
    AKA the pigs (as noted in post 14!)

18. Reading General

Reading General Part of the furniture

i had a soft spot for Rep/TCs. Theyw ere nearly new when I first met them (having JUST missed out on Southern Steam) and the whole compatibilty thing struck me as eminently sensible

19. athelney

athelney Member

Retired warranty administrator
    Had an incident on a REP/TC on a 91 service to Weymouth early in their days ( first year of service ) -- the REP had problems with a pick up shoe coming loose & damaging a motor - thus causing a bit of a fire underneath -- then the whole set up was brought to a stand at Weybridge and the local fire dept attended -- hence some delays .......fun times.
    Anyone remember the kick you received on a REP going through Micheldever on the down road at 90 mph -----------

20. Romsey

Romsey Part of the furniture

Retired SPM
    Yes, I do remember the "lurch" at Micheldever. Micheldever is still not quite right after relaying the whole area a few years ago. 444's are not too bad, but a voyager feels like it wants to try and join the yard headshunt!e

The main thing in REP motor coaches was not to drink hot coffee as the ride was so bad. I commuted in TC driver trailers - a smoother ride and softer seats. (And less chance of being cooked by the under seat heaters)

Cheers, Neil