If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

45231 'The Cumbrian Mountain Express' - 16th August 2009

Discussion in 'Photography' started by steamingyorkshire, Aug 17, 2009.

1. steamingyorkshire

steamingyorkshire Well-Known Member

Lecturer
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Well quite an eventful day with the emergency water stop near Bell Busk, after been further up the line we had to down tools and see what we could see further down the line, quite conveniently the train was stuck on a road bridge so was quite obvious, although we'd been told by a passer that the train had dropped the fire completely and they were waiting for diesel rescue :confused: When we arrived there was still quite a lot of smoke coming from the engine so had a feeling that there was still some fire left... We see her leaving the road bridge at Bell Busk then at Ribblehead viaduct and finally at Birkett Common on the return.

Was great to see a Black 5 over the S&C, something I really wanted to do before leaving in a couple of weeks.

Footage Available Here

2. cg

cg Well-Known Member

3. 60017

60017 Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Retired from corporate slavery :o)
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Nice footage Simon (as always), well done :)

4. steamingyorkshire

steamingyorkshire Well-Known Member

Lecturer
    Thank you John.

Well we've had quite a few complaints this week about us publishing the footage on the internet, so has Steve and that is why his footage has been removed. However myself and John have come to the conclusion that our footage will remain on the internet, we do feel that the footage serves its purpose and does not in any way shape or form indicate blame or neglect of the crew. We will also be going to press with the footage in our upcoming DVD. After discussing the matter this evening we came to the conclusion that we've published nothing that indicates what the crews have done and what the issue behind the emergency stop was on either Youtube or via our website.

If anyone has any further reservations about the footage been online then please feel free to contact me.

Simon

5. 60017

60017 Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Retired from corporate slavery :o)
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Sorry Simon, only just saw your post there (been chasing steam in the Czech Republic this past week :) ) How could anyone possibly object to your footage? Whatever happened on the footplate of the loco that may or may not have caused the incident is irrelevent. If anything it would support the view that they dealt with an 'emergency' in a prompt and professional way and, furthermore, recovered from it and carried on. Depends on how people see the glass I guess - far too many on here always see it as half empty !

6. Spamcan81

Spamcan81 Nat Pres stalwart

Training moles
    Whatever the nature of the emergency stop, several hundred passengers will know something was amiss. It happened in full view of a public road and the fire service attended, thereby attracting even more attention to the incident. What your footage shows is nothing more that what many people saw so it's hardly a secret. You're quite right to keep your clip on line.

7. camraman

camraman Member

Retired
    I seem to have been the only member on this judging by the lack of any other on train comments. See my original post, after which I was directed here. I was in the third coach and have filmed all the goings on. Obviously from the train it's not easy to see all and even more difficult to comment on.