If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

4472 NOT colour

Discussion in 'National Railway Museum' started by Anthony Coulls, Feb 12, 2009.

1. Anthony Coulls

Anthony Coulls Well-Known Member

http://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/news/4 ... milestone/

2. chrishallam

chrishallam Well-Known Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Excellent to see progress on the ol' girl!

Though I notice that there's no tube plate etc! Is the rest of the boilerwork done, or is it just a trial fit?

P.S BRUNSWICK!

3. gresleyman

gresleyman Member

Student
    Trial fit definatley.

4. Anthony Coulls

Boiler is off to Bury for finishing now we know it fits with the new firebox.

5. jamieP

jamieP New Member

Shunter Nene Sidings FCC
    A MILESTONE in restoring famous old locomotive Flying Scotsman was reached today with the reuniting of the loco's chassis with the newly-rebuilt boiler.

Very miss leading I think.

6. Tracklayer

Tracklayer Resident of Nat Pres

Employed
    The PR men from the A1 trust on board now?

Pink

7. Anthony Coulls

Is it? I think it's key, when you consider that when we put the V2 boiler back on in 1998, the smokebox was 2 degrees out of true and the whole lot had to come off again. Having had MAJOR firebox surgery, it's best to try it out now than be sorry in a few months time. Ask Jim, Helen or Rod next time you're in.

8. Diamond Gaz

Diamond Gaz Well-Known Member

9. Tracklayer

Employed
    I think the slight scoffing at the article reflects the fact that a trial fit really isnt that newsworthy. The media have not understood that actually - it isnt going together just yet.

10. Anthony Coulls

I understand Tracky, but I'd argue that it is newsworthy (I would wouldn't I? ;-) ) in that it is keeping the engine in the public profile, just as Alexa and team did with the A1. Sorry, still labouring under the cold that I had throughout the Sierra leone trip and wondering when it'll go - I'm well and truly fed up with it!

11. Tracklayer

Employed
    That I can relate to... Mine was picked up a fortnight ago here in the UK but I'd still like to get rid of it... Had me head over a jug of steamy stuff this morning and the colours were more varied than those worn by an A3 over 80 years!

EDIT: Should clarify its mostly shades of Green and has never been BR Blue...

12. GWR4707

GWR4707 Nat Pres stalwart

No I do not currently volunteer
    I think that we have to realise that our interest is shared with a small minority and thus accept that anything that encourages interest is a good thing not to be scoffed at.

Lets be honest if you are 'in the know' refitting a half restored bolier is not a big deal, however when combined with Tornado, getting steam coverage on the BBC website 2-3 times in in one week is something that we should applaud! What is it they say about any publicity being good publicity....

13. chrishallam

chrishallam Well-Known Member

According to Heratage Railway, I see that the NRM have alledgedly sold the A4 boiler onto Jeremy Hoskins for 27k.

I would've thought they could have got more for it if they really wanted to go down that road!

14. fentmar

fentmar New Member

I think its very surprising to have gone down that road particularly given Mallard in the collection- I can't see what 27k is contributing in the context of overall matters given the project cost overruns 200k!!!

For what its worth my view on livery/condition if the A3 boiler is the route that has been gone down then the engine should return as a single chimney in recognisable apple green. I find it incredulous that one spends £3m on an engine and fit the right boiler but unauthentic double chimney and german smoke deflectors. I cant believe also that no one can track down the single chimney blast pipe arrangement either? Having spent all that money????

15. GWR4707

GWR4707 Nat Pres stalwart

No I do not currently volunteer
    Well it covers around 13% of the cost over runs, which can't be a bad thing. I would agree however that it seems slightly strange to sell it with Mallard, although obviously I have no knowldge of Mallards condition, is it possible that this bolier is actually worse than Mallards.

I suppose the issue is that if Mallard does steam again, it may be a one off and thus not requiring of a second boiler - i.e. its not a case of having a second bolier repaired to speed future turn arounds between overhauls.

16. Miff

Miff Part of the furniture Friend

It is a pity they did not retain it to enable a quicker turnaround on 4472s future overhauls.

17. 242A1

242A1 Well-Known Member

The general understanding is that the Diagram 107 boiler was in a very poor state. A good use for a modest sum of lottery money would be to have a new 107 built in Germany. This would fit the four A4s and the A3 and could be used on a rotation basis. The owning groups and individuals would have to come up with their agreed percentage share of the costs since a grant would probably not be 100%. A contract to define terms of use, funding of repair costs etc. would be needed. The surviving boilers are not going to last for ever and repairs will become ever more expensive and difficult so some action taken now could save a great deal of grief in the none to distant future.

18. ghost

ghost Part of the furniture

I may be wrong here, but I don't think the lottery would fund a project were the stated intention is to have the majority of work done outside the country. They might put some money up if say Israel Newtons or Rileys were building it.

Keith

19. Steve

Steve Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Gentleman of leisure, nowadays
    I'm fairly certain that the Lottery wouldn't put anything into it. What 'heritage' are you preserving by building a new boiler for a non-specific loco and for anything over £50K the elements of education and access have to be provided for.
    At the moment, Newton's can't handle anything heavier than 10 tons.

20. Spamcan55

Spamcan55 New Member

Ex-Spamcan 55
    In the Daily Telegraph today and on the Merc site:

Mercedes-Benz World to launch Flying Scotsman race
    Wednesday, March 18th, 2009
    Vintage car fans are to be given the chance to take on the challenge of a lifetime as they use their vehicles to race against the clock and a legendary steam train from London to Edinburgh.

Mercedes-Benz World is to host the launch of the famous steam train, The Flying Scotsman, as 100 pre-war vintage cars race it in three days of heads-down driving.

The motorists will cover areas including the Cotswolds, the Peak District, Yorkshire and the Dales and the Scottish Borders.

They will begin at Brooklands in Surrey on Friday March 27th, with the race ending in Edinburgh on Sunday March 29th.

Peter O’Halloran, Managing Director of Mercedes-Benz World, commented: "The concept of this new and exciting time trial challenge is totally unique.

"The Flying Scotsman challenge is an excellent way for vintage enthusiasts to get a slice of the motoring action as road takes on rail in a nail-biting event."

The Flying Scotsman train has been running between London and Edinburgh since 1862.

In 1928, the train completed the 392-mile trip without stopping in what was at the time a record in just under seven hours and 20 minutes.

So will 4472 be ready in time??????? :-k and will it be starting from West Byfleet for this one, instead of KX?