If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

35011 "GSN" to be restored

Discussion in 'Steam Traction' started by James, Mar 9, 2008.

1. James

James Part of the furniture

Seen today at Williton WSR. The e-mail for anyone interested is 35011@tiscali.co.uk

2. 34007

34007 Part of the furniture

Do you have an update or details on 35011? Also no picture has appeared!

3. 73129

73129 Part of the furniture

It must be your computer or your internet connection I got the picture ok.

4. 34007

34007 Part of the furniture

Yep def my ADSL connection! It appeared once I finished replying! Apologies James! But good to see the they are going to look at getting the funding for 35011!!

5. 61624

61624 Part of the furniture

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Hate to pour cold water on this, but the posted notice is hardly a statement of anything much at all other than that it may get a new crank axle!

6. Broomhalla

Broomhalla Well-Known Member

No need to be negative at least now someone's going to have a go and restore it and a merchant navy is a wonderful bit of kit. Out of all of them, that have been preserved only three have steamed and another one is likely to steam in the near future with another one quite a bit of the way there.

7. david1984

david1984 Resident of Nat Pres

Would seem odd to go to that expense unless you planned to do something with the loco.

Good luck to whoever wishes to take it on, 35011 is well known to be a bit of a wreck.

8. boldford

boldford Member

They must be a very brave team; but good luck to them.

:-k Thinking aloud. Perhaps they could make it really stand out from t'other MNs by rebuilding it as OVSB intended. :-k

9. yorksireenginegroup

yorksireenginegroup Well-Known Member

MECHANIC
    =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> good for u chaps =D> =D> =D> [-o< [-o< [-o< please let it be mainline [-o<

10. 73129

73129 Part of the furniture

Well said that man
    =D> =D> =D> =D>
    You cant beat a Merchant navy simply the best.
    \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/

11. KHARDS

KHARDS Well-Known Member

Train Planner
    Oh for them to unrebuild it......

It'll take a while though....

12. Broomhalla

Broomhalla Well-Known Member

At least now it will get a bit of TLC since where it once was it was a rusting hulk. In fact it was the definition of a rusting hulk, now hopefully it can be made to look a real gem once again. Finally all those pictures of her in such a bad way can be put behind her as she's turned from Barry wreck to pile of bits before the eventual rebuilding after a million and one components are found, made or restored and then she can once again shine like all merchants do when running at there best.

13. 46118

46118 Part of the furniture

Having made my trawl of the local charity shops today, for a modest sum I picked up a copy of "Bulleid Power: The Merchant Navy Class" by A J Fry. Although the Southern is not really my area of interest, the book was too good a bargain to miss, and includes a wealth of detail about the design construction and development of the Merchant Navies. I recommend anyone with an interest in this class to obtain a copy of the book.

Talking of crank axles, as mentioned earlier in the thread, the book contains a photograph of the fractured crank axle from 35020 Bibby Line, and also the partly demolished station canopy at Crewkerne, which was hit by the partly derailed locomotive, reportedly travelling at between 70 and 80 mph when the axle fractured.

I didnt realise that a Berkley mechanical stoker was trial fitted to 21C5 Canadian Pacific by Bulleid in 1948. You learn something new every day.....!

14. KentYeti

KentYeti Guest

Unless someone involved with 35011 has a large pot of money I doubt many of us older guys will ever see her running again.

But I stand and salute those who are planning to get her operational.

Personally I'd prefer resources to be focused on getting 35027 back into main line service as my (admittedly), incomplete research indicates that is probably slowly approaching that stage now. But steam loco preservation has always been a bit fragmented. Not a criticism, that is the nature of the beast. And people will always chose where they spend their money.

And when I am in a position to start parting with spare cash it will be to the two Societies I joined last year when I returned to BR steam after my 40 year absence: the Bluebell and MNLPS, (35028). I got my fingers burned by doing my little bit with helping the funding of a new boiler for the three cylinder German pacific operated by the German group I belong to. Only to see contractual disputes with it's owners stop it from working even though it is in main line condition. So I have been a bit cautious about who and what to support back in the UK!

So I fully accept I have no real right to comment on those working with and spending money on 35027 and 35011. It's just my selfish desire to see 35028 have a nice running mate in the near future, especially when Tangmere's main line ticket expires next year.

15. KHARDS

KHARDS Well-Known Member

Train Planner
    Fingers crossed within a small while of 34067 coming out of ticket 35027, 34027 and 34046 may be joining the mainline pool. Bulleids Ho!

16. 46118

46118 Part of the furniture

It also depends on who owns which locomotive and has the resources to conduct an expensive overhaul. There are engines that have been in service in recent years and hopefully are at least protected from the elements, and then the unrestored ex-Barry examples of which 35011 looks to be one of the worst.
    Dont forget Ian Riley was advertising 35009 Shaw Savill a while ago, but I dont think he had any takers. From what I recall 35009 was in reasonable order...or at least "reasonable" for an ex-Barry hulk.

Anyway good luck to the 35011 people. Deep pockets....

17. KentYeti

KentYeti Guest

Wow!
    :) :) :) :)

18. John Petley

John Petley Part of the furniture

Researcher/writer and composer of classical music
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    With Clan Line being largely confined to VSOE duties, there's a real need for another Bulleid ready for the main line when 34067 comes out of ticket. I'm not just saying this because they are great engines, but loading gauge restrictions prevent many other big'uns from running on the main line in Kent especially. Tangmere is booked to Folkestone or Canterbury on no less than 6 occasions between now and the end of July, and I guess other tours could be still in the pipeline. If it fails, I can't think of anything else that will fit and can run at 75mph until Oliver Cromwell is certified.

Still, 35027, "Bournemouth's best engine" as it was known, on the main line is an exciting prospect, but 35011 looks like being a long wait indeed. I nonetheless wish its owner well, and would be delighted to be proved wrong in saying this.

19. James

James Part of the furniture

At least there won't be any arguments regarding what colour it will be...

20. stepney60

stepney60 Nat Pres stalwart

Isn't Lord Nelson allowed in Kent (as 850 did run to Folkestone Harbour and Canterbury last June), so as and when she comes back...