If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

34046 Braunton The Solent & Sarum 13 September

Discussion in 'What's Going On' started by alastair, Sep 3, 2014.

1. alastair

alastair Well-Known Member

Timings are up for this one :

http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/U55308/2014/09/13/advanced

and:

http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/U55311/2014/09/13/advanced

Appears to be booked fast line all the way on the outward run and no water stop. There are LE moves to and from Stewarts Lane booked so yet again DBS can manage without assistance.

Its booked out of and back in to P16 at Waterloo. Is that unusual? I thought steam could only use P19,but I could be wrong.

Also note booked Havant(pass) to Haslemere in 30 min. Thats only 4 mins slower than a fast SWT train with one stop at Petersfield. Surely thats got to be a bit optimistic with those gradients?!

Last edited: Sep 3, 2014
  2. Steamage

Steamage Part of the furniture

P16 at Waterloo suggests a modest load (10 or less?) and so a fast run from Havant to Haslemere is also possible. The SWT times are usually a little on the slack side.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 3, 2014
  3. Big Al

Big Al Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    I suggest that UKRT ensures that Braunton carries an ACE headboard to Salisbury as this trip is going to be a far better 50th anniversary celebration of the train from the point of view of departure station and schedule than the diesel assisted run a week earlier.

rule55 likes this.
  4. Bulleid Pacific

Bulleid Pacific Part of the furniture

A Thingy...
    Good job I'm booked on it for my first run behind 34046 on the mainline. Also quite nice to get a bit of fairly rare route into the mix as regards the Portsmouth Direct line. In fact, Salisbury-Romsey southbound is fairly rare, too, and I've not done Romsey-Chandlers Ford-Eastleigh-Fareham by steam either. It has to be said, when DBS have steam crews available and cleared for the route, there's little to touch them. Its just a shame there's no network-wide coverage.

When I did the DCE in July, 44932 arrived at platform 10 in Waterloo, so I think steam is gradually being cleared for more platforms. It probably also depends upon operational issues on the day.

rule55 likes this.
  5. Big Al

The issue at Waterloo remains the fact that you have to get train plus a locomotive at each end fully in the platform and clear of the signal. I think that it works with a load of 10, possibly 11 but anything longer (12/13 including support coach) just will not fit. That is when P19 is used and here, although the train will fit, the locomotive is the wrong side of the signal and track circuit. It would therefore need to be given clearance by radio. DBS don't seem to have a problem with that in P19 but WCR does after the Bittern incident.

6. 6026 King John

6026 King John Well-Known Member

Just booked on this one. I've never tried UK Railtours before as they don't do much steam, but having read great reports of the Tornado run to Exeter recently I'm hoping for the best. Fingers crossed that Braunton survives it's trip to Cornwall this weekend!

Another attraction for me is that I haven't done the Portsmouth direct line by steam. I understand that it is has some meaty gradients in places. If that is correct can someone say where they are?

7. Big Al

From Havant the line climbs steadily to just before Buriton Tunnel with the last two miles at 1 in 80 after Idsworth Crossing. Summit is at MP 58¼. There is a speed restriction through the tunnel but Braunton will be going too slow to be affected. Then the line dives down through Petersfield but hits rising grades again shortly before Liss. After that there is another two miles of 1 in 80 easing a bit but continuing uphill for a further 8 miles or so to the summit just after Haslemere around MP 42½. It's then downhill all the way to Guildford. Assuming there are no signal checks and that's not guaranteed at Haslemere, photographers can get a decent long shot of the climb from the south end of the platform at Liphook or the footbridge over the platforms. (But watch out for SWT - there are plenty of them!)

8. Steamage

Steamage Part of the furniture

The "Portsmouth Direct" is quite a challenge, though it's no S&C. 8 miles uphill from Havant to just before Buriton tunnel on gradients mostly around 1-in-140 to 1-in-100, finishing with just over 1.5 miles at 1-in-80; just over 1.5 miles at 1-in-80 from Liss, then mostly uphill for the 7 miles to Haslemere , ending with another 1.5 miles at 1-in-100. See table S6 in Ian Allan's book of gradient profiles (I have the 1997 paperback edition).

9. KentYeti

KentYeti Guest

I fully agree Al. Presumably the non stop timing and direct route is only available at a weekend?

10. Big Al

Yes, I think that is right. More to the point, SWT has allowed their 1000 Portsmouth Harbour service to be retimed so that it is not up the tail of the charter at Woking. Such is the influence of DBS/UKRT. And whilst I'm sure that Braunton will survive its visit to the West Country, if there is a problem, Clan Line will still be warm at Stewarts Lane after the Pullmans on the previous day. Having that kind of substitute on the bench (support crew permitting) is a surplus of riches.

And so to (mis)quote Duncan Bannatyne "For those reasons I'm IN"

Last edited: Sep 4, 2014
    rule55 likes this.
  11. ADB968008

ADB968008 Guest

wow a tour that promises to deliver ???

whats the catch ?

12. KentYeti

KentYeti Guest

I think I've only done it ex London. One run was with 34017 on the down Belle in March 1966. 11 for 460 tons and considering the loco was said to be very rough riding with pressure down to 140 psi at times we did very well indeed. Not sure who the Nine Elms crew were, (big bruvver Don might know), but Driver Berryman of Guildford was the pilotman from Guildford. Saw him at a Bluebell reunion three years or so ago. Didn't get the chance to chat, sadly. I wonder if he would have remembered the run. Bit different from taking moguls on three cars to Redhill!

13. RalphW

RalphW Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Administrator Friend

Retired-ish, Part time rail tour steward.
    Don't forget though that DBS do have spare diesels around should they need one, so do not have to take one with them for emergencies.

14. Bulleid Pacific

Bulleid Pacific Part of the furniture

A Thingy...
    I've done three trips with UKRT, and they are generally well-worth doing as they sometimes take in rare routes such as the VSOE Surrey Hills route (not often used for your average railtour, and an even rarer UKRT/WCRC operation with 34067 in 2009), Paddington-Worcester via Snow Hill (Royal Oak, 2010 with 6024) and the less-rare Berks and Hants route, albeit from Waterloo (Merchant Venturer with 35028 in c2011). However, as steam is few and far between, it is one of those companies that only rarely gets my attention, despite the outfit being one of the best there is. It just goes to show the power of reputation on the big railway.

15. alastair

alastair Well-Known Member

That is a very good point. But its still very nice to know,in advance, that assistance is not actually planned. For me,anyway,that means its worth booking on.

16. gwr4090

gwr4090 Part of the furniture

Scientist (Rtd)
    Some of the UKRT steam trains including the 13 September trip are jointly promoted with Icons of Steam, and there will probably be more of these in the future.

17. gricerdon

gricerdon Guest

Yes that was a very good run for a light pacific short of steam. I have a tape recording of the climb to Haslemere and its pure rebuilt Bulleid being worked very hard. Not sure who the NE crew were but we ran Gfd to Havant in 44 mins 24 secs S/S with 54 at Godalming falling to 28.5 at Haslemere, 72.5 max and 40 min at Buriton.

Don

KentYeti likes this.
  18. spicer21

spicer21 Guest

Ha, great post. Cynical, but great at the same time, : )

19. gricerdon

gricerdon Guest

UKRT steam trips are usually very good. Cant be on this one though as it my wife's birthday and I don't think she wants to spend it on a train

Don

20. spicer21

spicer21 Guest

All UKRT trips are very good to be fair, as were Hertfordshire Railtours tours before them. John Farrow operates to a very high standard. As a rule, he only runs steam tours where the loco concerned has a high reliability rate. You also wouldn't expect UKRT to offer an itinerary other than those alrready tried and tested.