If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

10800 A query

Discussion in 'Diesel & Electric Traction' started by Jordan-Leeds, Mar 30, 2012.

1. Jordan-Leeds

Jordan-Leeds New Member

I have recently found myself researching the early diesel prototypes that where trialed by the BTC And would like to Find out more about 10800 So to cut to the chase does anyone know if the NRM Hold Documentation and drawings of the North British built prototype?
    And does anyone have any photographs at all that will aid my little project

Best wishes
    Jordan leeds

2. guard_jamie

guard_jamie Part of the furniture

Signalman
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
  3. LMS2968

LMS2968 Part of the furniture

Lecturer retired: Archivist of Stanier Mogul Fund
    British Railways Illustrated did an article on it many years ago. I recall that the difficulty of starting the engine, even when hot, was mentioned. Common practice once the batteries were flat, was to propel it set in the opposite direction to travel, making the traction motors into generators and the main generator into the starter motor. It was essential to get it into engine run only as soon as the engine started. As a result, once it had started, it was never, ever shut down.

From an aging memory, another tale was of the Birmingham New St station master (I think it was), fed up with the fumes from it ticking over outside his window, climbed into the cab and shut down the engine, just as the crew arrived to move it on to its train. There was hell to pay as, try as they might, the engine refused to fire up. It was eventually towed away and a replacement engine for its now late train found.

4. guard_jamie

guard_jamie Part of the furniture

Signalman
    I delight in the title ascribed to it by Southern Enginemen: The Wonder Engine.

'I wonder if it will go today?'

5. Fred Kerr

Fred Kerr Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Freelance photo - journalist
    There may be further info in the NRM Library - I had some of the North British files collected by the late Brian Webb and I have a feeling that they included information on 10800 but they were all passed onto the NRM during 1985 as requested by Brian shortly before his unexpected demise.

Another excellent source is LMS Diesel Locomotives and Railcars by E.V. Richards published by RCTS as part of its Locomotives of the LMS Series in 1996 with ISBN 0 901115 76 2.

6. ivattdiesel

ivattdiesel New Member

Jordan-leeds,

I'm pretty sure the NRM have some info on 10800. It shares some components with 10000/10001 which we are working on - probably minor stuff, but i'm pretty sure I have seen references to it in the drawing list we have. They (and other sources) have a ton of stuff for 10000, and it is very likely they have something for you.

Drop me a line at info@lms10000.org and i'll see what I can find in our drawings list for you.

Mark Batchelour
    Secretary, Ivatt Diesel Recreation Society
    LMS10000