If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

0-8-0 at Manchester Longsight Depot in the late 70's

Discussion in 'Heritage Railways & Centres in the UK' started by al20a, Feb 27, 2011.

1. al20a

al20a New Member

I have a vague memory of 0-8-0 at Longsight depot between 1976-1982. Not sure if it was going or coming from Dinting. It was static for weeks. Could of come back from overseas, but this might be my old memory playing tricks on me. Does anyone have any memories of this engine or even better a photo from back then at the longsight depot in Manchester.
    There might be a mention in some of the Railway magazines of the period, don't possess any of the old mags myself. To narrow it down even further it could of be around the years of 1977-78.

regards
    Albert

2. Bramblewick

Bramblewick Member

When did the NRM evacuate Preston Park works? It could have been 63460 en route to Grosmont.

3. williamfj2

williamfj2 Member

Another possibility was that the loco was 49395 during her long time on the sidelines.

4. Bean-counter

Bean-counter Part of the furniture

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    If it was connected to Dinting, it may have been a 2-8-0, the O4?

5. al20a

al20a New Member

I thought 63460 looked promising, but 102 (63601) looks a possibility. The year could of been between 1977-78 if that narrows it down any.

regards
    Albert

6. 46118

46118 Part of the furniture

I think it was the GCR 04, 63601.

I poster on a thread here about Dinting Railway Centre commented that the 04 was delivered by rail from store in Leicester, but ran hot en-route, and was repaired at Longsight before delivery finally to Dinting.

I have a booklet entitled "1968-1978 The Dinting Story" and although the timeline on the rear cover is water-damaged, I can just make out that the 04 arrived at Dinting in June 1976.

Think that is your answer.

As an aside, what were the other "Leicester " stored National Collection engines? I think the 4F (44027) was one possibly?

7. al20a

al20a New Member

I think your right, I was a year out. Is there any photos of her around this time period. At Dinting or even longsight.

8. Coboman

Coboman Member

I have some of me as a kid derusting it at Dinting somewhere. I seem to remember we did a load of work externally to it, then it all got binned when it was de lagged. What a waste of time....

9. al20a

al20a New Member

Was it a light grayish colour when it arrived at Dinting. I have a vague memory it wasn't pretty to look at, possibly unpainted in grey primer.

10. Coboman

Coboman Member

rusty grey primer IIRC. would be about 1977-78 when I was working on it.

11. oddsocks

oddsocks Well-Known Member

Retired / Dodging a Coffin for as long as I can.
    Half a mile east of Snells Nook Halt. (1883-1931)
    63601, 44027, 49395 and Green Arrow. Pics attached, taken from a passing train after the steam locos had been evicted from secure storage in Leicester round house onto the depot sidings because BR wanted to demolish the building. They were originally stored at Leicester awaiting the construction of a museum building planned to house those four locos plus the Midland "Spinner" No.118 , Midland 2-4-0 No.158A, Electric Loco 26500 and the Brush built 0-4-0 ST which is now at Snibston, plus the other industrials also now at Snibston. The funds were not forthcoming and the museum building was not built. I seem to remember that three of the locos were in primer, Green arrow was in full L.N.E.R. livery. (See pic)
    49395_at_Leicester_Midland_Es.1.jpg 49395_at_Leicester_Midland_Es.1a.jpg Es.60800_at_Leicester_Midland_3.jpg

12. oddsocks

Further to that, 63601 was later transferred to what is now The Pumping Station Museum, Corporation Road, Leicester, moving by rail to Loughborough (Midland)where it was stored for several weeks in the goods shed and by road to the Museum premises. Pics 63601_1_@_L'boro_Goods_8.jpg 63601_1_@_L'boro_Goods_12.jpg 63601_1_@_L'boro_Goods_10.jpg attached of it loaded for the journey.

13. al20a

al20a New Member

Funny enough, the picture I have always had in my mined. Is seeing her at Longsight whilst travelling from Stockport to Piccadilly in Manchester. Can't remember if I went to the depot to get a closer look. probably did. Memory fading. Great pictures. I presume the building in the back ground with the giant eagle on, in the last set of photos has long gone.

14. oddsocks

No, the building is still there, with a modern facia attached. That's not an Eagle by the way, it's a FALCON. Falcon Works. Established by one Charles Francis Brush. The home of Brush Traction/Electrical Machines/Transformers. The Falcon now resides, or did last time I saw it, in gilt splendor over the entrance to the works canteen.

15. 46118

46118 Part of the furniture

And by 1983, 49395 was stood on an isolated piece of track at Blists Hill museum open to the weather. It is good that these engines, after a rather itinerant post-preservation period are now well cared for. The 4F as far as I recall is now with Andrew Goodman for overhaul, after the NRM took it away from Butterley.