If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Yorkshire Wolds Railway

Discussion in 'Heritage Railways & Centres in the UK' started by 35B, Jul 31, 2016.

1. 35B

35B Nat Pres stalwart

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    I dropped in here this afternoon with my son, and found a really friends set up. Very little there as yet (cab rides over about 100 yards), but a real sense of purpose and awareness of what they can and can't achieve. The exhibition on the line is nicely judged too.

If anyone's in the area (Fimber Halt is about 7 miles south of Malton on the B1248), it's well worth dropping in.

Kinghambranch likes this.
  2. Kinghambranch

Kinghambranch Well-Known Member

Retired
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    I called in at Fimber yesterday (I have been meaning to do so for a while) on the way to see friends at Driffield and I can fully agree with 35B's view. There is not much to see at the moment (the original Fimber & Sledmere Stn was about 100 yards on the other side of the road and the old crossing house is now privately owned) but what there is has been well done. The volunteers there were very friendly and took time to explain what their plans are and what they have achieved so far. They don't, in my view, have any WIBN aspirations; instead they are concentrating on a small section of the old Malton to Driffield Line, with particular emphasis on the interpretation of its local history. The BG coach (ex-GWSR and now nicely turned out in blood & custard) makes an excellent visitors' centre and the display boards (which a notice states are to be added to with video facilities and upgraded) are very clear and comprehensive. Indeed, I'd go as far as to say that they are more informative than most I've seen recently in the NRM! The aim is to extend the short running line towards Driffield (preparation is under way-see photo) and to reach the next station at Wetwang (just love that name!). The Railway is actively seeking a brake van (at the moment only cab rides in the little 0-4-0DH shunter are available) and want to build a small ramped platform halt to enable better access to the shunter and, in future, brake van. They need proper toilets and a bigger café (although the ex-BR box van body that acts as a café/shelter is beautifully restored) but they seem to be very realistic in their aims. Fimber is on a marked scenic route and is situated in a valley surrounded by fields and woodlands. It really is a beautiful place (well, most places in the UK are in May I know) and well worth calling in to if you are in the area. In some respects, this project is more of a local history centre than an operating heritage railway and, given that these are early days, that's no bad thing. It gives a very good idea of what a "bucolic" sleepy rural railway was like and I'm sure, that as more track, artifacts and facilities are added, it will become a real little gem. Some pictures of the current setup are here.

Attached Files:

King of Prussia, Robkitchuk and 35B like this.