If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

York Central Consultation and the National Railway museum

Discussion in 'National Railway Museum' started by Paul Kirkman, Jan 27, 2016.

1. Paul Kirkman

Paul Kirkman Guest

When I arrived at the National Railway Museum at the end of 2012, my colleagues were still a little bruised from the recent collapse of plans to develop the land behind York Station. Along with many others in York, we had put a lot of time and effort into getting the huge swathe of brown field land around the museum into more productive use. There was an air of frustrated resignation about York Central’s missed opportunities.

I came to the museum and York as an outsider, and from London where I’ll now admit big investment happens a bit more easily. It seemed incredible to me that nothing was happening. One of the country’s best known interchange stations, with 1 hour 50 trains to London, was not meant to border a huge zone of surface car parking, warehouses, car washes and disused railway sidings. It is testament to the fundamental strength of the museum that 750,000 people a year come for a day out in such an unpromising location.

[​IMG]
    The current view of the National Railway Museum as from the walkway from the Station (above) and the type of space York Central can help make happen (below).

We started thinking about what we needed to do to realise the potential of world’s greatest historic railway collection and it became clear to me that there were three problems York Central could solve for us.

It allows us to make the building work for visitors. At the moment, it’s hard even to find the museum entrance and once inside, the museum is split in two by a road. I’ve met visitors who didn’t realise the other half of the museum even existed. Clearly, starting from scratch, no-one would have designed a museum like that. By moving Leeman Road, we can build an inspiring and welcoming entrance, that links together all of the museum, so people can find their way around without struggling with underpasses and things hidden from view.

[​IMG]
    We’ve already planned specific project to upgrade the museum – find our more about these seven areas.

It will put us in the City Centre. York is a great place to have a museum. There are 7 million tourist visits a year, but they only come to the National Railway Museum if they have made a very specific visit. Instead of being at the centre of the action, we are literally the wrong side of the tracks. York Central will make the museum the cultural heart of a new city centre district for York, and our surroundings will be the kind of streets, squares and parks people want to linger in – and then visit the museum as well.

It’s bold enough to happen. Lots of the things we want to do at the Museum don’t need York Central. But the development is already getting national and international attention. It can be a catalyst. When all our small and medium sized plans are part of a bigger vision for the museum, and for York, they are much more likely to happen.

So you can guess what I’ll be saying to the City of York Council’s consultation! Have your say too.

[​IMG]
    Re-routing Leeman road offers a rare opportunity to make the use of available space.

The post York Central Consultation and the National Railway museum appeared first on National Railway Museum blog.

2. Johnb

Johnb Nat Pres stalwart

Retired, best job I've ever had
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    I'm sure I'll be shot down in flames but couldn't a bit of imagination have been used in designing that entrance. I visited a very similar looking building over the weekend, my local Currys store. The NRM originally inherited a locomotive roundhouse and what better place to exhibit locomotives but a previous generation of management decided it would look better if it resembled the inside of Warehouse. Nothing can be done about that now but perhaps a replica facade of a railway station would look better for the new development and more in keeping with the building next door.

3. oddsocks

oddsocks Well-Known Member

Retired / Dodging a Coffin for as long as I can.
    Half a mile east of Snells Nook Halt. (1883-1931)
    No I do not currently volunteer
    That frontage looks like it was designed by someone who designs supermarkets for a living. Very poor. Totally bland and unexciting. Needs more than a mural to spice it up, IMHO a total re-think is called for, as an entrance to what claims to be a "World Class" museum it's off-putting.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2016
  4. 99Z

99Z Guest

reminds me of the entrance to the Millenium Dome.

5. John Stewart

John Stewart Part of the furniture

Retired
    No I do not currently volunteer
    I agree but the treatment of façades is less important than getting the spaces to interact properly and the current ideas do address this. However, even if Leeman Road is stopped as a through route the grim and confined route beneath the tracks will remain.