If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

WSR Diesel Gala - Friday 9th- Sunday 11th June 2017

Discussion in 'Galas and Events' started by Captain Fantastic, Sep 18, 2016.

1. Captain Fantastic

Captain Fantastic Member

Guido Killer Pimp
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Hello i was wondering with the next Gala being titled as a Diesel Gala instead of a "Mixed Traffic" nonsense next year i REALLY hope that the railway can turn a corner with their galas that of late have been very lacklustre and have just not been special enough to bring the crowds in, the railway does have a lot to offer the Diesel cranks as a line but year after year there seams to be little or no clue on what the visitors WANT from a gala to make the line somewhere to plan around instead of "well if nothing else is happening"
    With 7018 coming back next year that a fair few people will want why not run a Hydraulic centric weekend around the normal TT say March time with 7018 being centre stage, using the Quantock belle kitchen car serving hot food, probably in a pair with 7017 with the 52 on another set, then for the June main gala the baton being handed over to visitors new to the line BRCW type twos or Brush type twos, no real need for a 55 as they really should be experienced on the main line pottering at 25 really doesnt show these locos at there best, there is the possibility that 44004 may be at Swanage next year so would that be something to think about?

This is a discussion site not a ranty one so let us please discuss this not shout, and we are ALL entitled to an opinion but please let us respect that and mybee the WSR can be a big player in the Diesel Gala timetable not just an also ran

Last edited: Sep 20, 2016
  2. M59137

M59137 Well-Known Member

Carriage & Wagon
    Personally a good solid well restored heritage engine (D4 could be an example) bolstered by the hydraulics would do just fine for me.

I really enjoyed 24081's visit (the last mixed traffic gala I attended) but I've been put off other years with 59's and other mainline engines which do nothing for me.

Having said that I hear that these mainline locos can pull in crowds so if that's what people want I can't complain if the railways providing it. Diesel galas can be very fickle and difficult to get right.

One last note, I have made use of the Taunton links provided by a GWR sprinter before now, and really thought they were a good idea. Sadly though it wasn't that well patronized?

Sent from my HTC Desire 620 using Tapatalk

3. JBTEvans

JBTEvans Well-Known Member

No I do not currently volunteer
    They are running a Taunton to BL shuttle at the forthcoming ASG.

4. Springs Branch

Springs Branch New Member

Retired
    4 x 40's worked elsewhere last weekend, but perhaps that wouldn't be 'authentic' on the WSR - none of them presumably worked on the S&D.

5. Captain Fantastic

Captain Fantastic Member

Guido Killer Pimp
    Well I heard a rumour for one of the visitors for the gala next year, and although it doesnt do anything for me personally it is at least different and i think it hasnt been there before or if it has it was a long time ago

6. Ian Monkton

Ian Monkton Member

In the past, the Taunton shuttle was provided by the WSR hiring a GWR unit, and the cost was not covered by the fares taken. I know some people might consider this to be a 'loss leader' to attract people to the gala. As I understand it, this year the unit is being provided by GWR at their expense, since through tickets from the national network are being accepted. This is a positive move by GWR.

tracker likes this.
  7. Matt37401

Matt37401 Nat Pres stalwart

Nosy aren’t you?
    If it is 7017's comeback next year why not try for 7076 from the Lancs? When would the last time be 3 Hymeks worked together?

8. Captain Fantastic

Captain Fantastic Member

Guido Killer Pimp
    Well yeah thats an idea BUT who would the extra 35 attract? bear in mind 7018 has been out of traffic for years anybody hydraulic inclined will be there anyway, and the same person wont buy two tickets because another 35 is there, what the planners need to look at is something without hydraulic transmission to put on the other trains to bring in a different crowd of punters

Robert Heath No.6 likes this.
  9. Matt37401

Nosy aren’t you?
    You've lost me on the point of one person buying 2 tickets, please explain.

10. Captain Fantastic

Captain Fantastic Member

Guido Killer Pimp
    Well if a person is coming for 7018 then the addition of 7076 would not bring in them twice ie they were coming anyway, but if there was a 37 as well there would be somebody different buying a ticket as well

11. Matt37401

Nosy aren’t you?
    I see, that's a fair point, so what you could then do is if your towing the Hymek down from Bury is maybe send something like 37901, 47401 and 31466 with it, and maybe as your traction for the convoy maybe use a pair of 20's?

Last edited: Sep 27, 2016
  12. M59137

M59137 Well-Known Member

Carriage & Wagon
    I can see both sides on that one, normally variety is the spice of life with galas. Having said that, the East Lancs have proved that gathering many of the same class can work if it's pitched right. With 4 hymeks in pres, and 2 of them on the WSR, it makes it the natural choice for a "hymek fest", in the same way that ELR is clearly the place to get all the 40's together.

Perhaps it is worth the WSR biding their time and waiting for all four hymeks to be operational then have a gala featuring all of them. I would agree that the gala that 7018 makes its debut wouldn't be the best one to get another hymek in, as anyone with any real Interest in the class will be flocking to 7018 anyway. I would hope that tickets for 7018's launch will sell themselves!

Sent from my HTC Desire 620 using Tapatalk

Matt37401 likes this.
  13. D7076

D7076 Well-Known Member

Great suggestion but:
    1)Nothing will be towing 7076 down the main line.
    2)37901 isn't at Bury-not been for around three years and now under Colas ownership.
    3)47401 hasn't been at Bury since it left a couple of years ago for its MRC home.

Perhaps you will suggest the 01 or 27050 next?

14. Matt37401

Nosy aren’t you?
    I do apologise for not keeping up with status of the ELR diesel fleet , life, missus, mortgage, cats, you know those little things kinda get in the way of keeping track of the status of every single diesel loco in the country.

26D_M likes this.
  15. Britfoamer

Britfoamer Well-Known Member

Chemist (semi-retired)
    Wake up and keep up at the back!! You know what it's like in this life, say one thing slighlty out of line and you stand a chance of being strapped to an engine block and verbally vilified!!:D
    It was interesting to see the loadings throughout the day (viewed from the lineside), with all the Class 40 trains appearing to be better filled than the others, particularly the visiting D213. I think the Hymek fest argument stands up, but personally would prefer a mixed hydraulic fest.

16. Matt37401

Nosy aren’t you?
    You mean bring 832 back?! Out of what Hydralics are left what's working at the mo? 3 hymeks 1 warship and 3 westerns isn't it? Might be worth having a look and seeing what's on other railways diesel gala's shopping lists, and diverting a convoy. I'd recommend the prototype HST though.

17. Britfoamer

Britfoamer Well-Known Member

Chemist (semi-retired)
    There's one thing that'll cause problems is the memory of what happened when they let D832 go on a jolly to the WSR, it didn't come back home for years!! There may be second thoughts on allowing D7076 to go again. :p

18. Captain Fantastic

Captain Fantastic Member

Guido Killer Pimp
    I'm not sure bringing in 47401 from wherever it is would bring in anyone else either due to the presence of 840,if you were going to go down the Brush route you would be better off going for 376 off the GWSR or 205 off Lamport and as I say you already have one 47 so would that be where you would spend your transport pounds.
    A class that hasn't visited at all or v rarely,say 26/27 or the right 31 would be much more lickley to bring in the punters, if you are going to ask Colas for a loco I would have to say one of their 37/0's would be way more popular than 901, as a say one off the visitors has supposedly been lined up but I have no idea how many visitors they are thinking of having.
    Hopefully the idea of using the MOD shunters on somit hasn't died on the vine either

19. AnthonyTrains2017

AnthonyTrains2017 Well-Known Member

Get 66779 evening star

nick glanf likes this.
  20. Robin Moira White

Robin Moira White Resident of Nat Pres

Barrister
    time to get this thread rolling.

So what visiting locos would really 'float your boat'?

Robin