If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Winter CME Trips 2018

Discussion in 'What's Going On' started by 61994, Jan 11, 2018.

1. Steve Sienkiewicz

Steve Sienkiewicz Member

Retired
    Thanks very much John, we were very lucky with the light here!

dopeyt likes this.
  2. Monopodmansdad

Monopodmansdad New Member

Hi. Monopodman's video of Galatea at Scout Green and Ais Gill. Nice to back up here filming after a bit of a lay off. regards Mark and Joseph.

3. GBoreham

GBoreham Member

Footage of 45699 thundering towards Shap Summit this morning then making good time on the S&C this afternoon at Long Marton and Crosby Garrett.

4. 981smithy

981smithy Member

Excellent coverage Joseph and what a bark from Galatea at Ais Gill.....

5. lappinp

lappinp New Member

Great footage as is everyones is for todays run. I love the fact there is a parallel running red car dragging a single white coach :) in the Scout Green section of video.

981smithy likes this.
  6. stevenjcrozier

stevenjcrozier New Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
  7. green five

green five Resident of Nat Pres

Some brilliant stills and videos of today's run. Wonderful to see Galatea running with such magnificent power to hand. WCRC have really mastered the fine tuning of her. And I always think back to this picture below when watching her in action and delight in the achievements of Loco restoration carried out in preservation:[​IMG]

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

8. Big Al

Big Al Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator

A truly great day today with Galatea on the CME

The load of 11 was a significant challenge for a Jubilee running out at about 425 tons gross. But from the outset, it looked as though we were in for a determined assault of the hills. The fact that we topped Yealand at 36 was a clue to what was to follow. The main climb to Grayrigg was started at 63 and we only fell away to 36 by the top. The recovery was swift and we were soon bowling along at 70+ on the approach to Tebay. You cannot 'flatten' Shap as some video warriors would have you believe but Galatea did have a pretty good try and to go over the top at 29 exceeded my private view of what was likely by a few mph. There followed a dash down to Carlisle that necessitated a slight slowing to take the restriction at Penrith - (say no more). Our arrival in a sub 70 minute time for a Jubilee must be one of the best, if not the best runs for a Jubliee with that load - something that would never have been attempted (or allowed) in steam days.

Our exit from Carlisle towards Ais Gill was sadly, too lively to avoid us catching the service train and we were brought to a halt at Low House for two and a half minutes. Nevertheless we only took 49 minutes to reach Appleby after more noisy running. It was wisely decided to leave the water stop early to give more time for the assault of Ais Gill as 29 minutes is really quite a tight schedule. That said. 30 min 15 sec to clear the top at 29 was another brilliant performance and onward running continued apace.

The final tour de force was Wilpshire. We hit the viaduct at 49 and blasted up through Langho entering the tunnel at 29 where Galatea was eased slightly finally clearing the summit at 23.

This day was the best trip I've had with a Jubilee on that kind of load. Galatea is clearly now a star performer but only because, I would suggest, the West Coast crews have worked out how to get the best out of her. Mick Rawling/Chris Holmes and Mick Kelly/Bob Bullock really did us proud today. Well done to all who made it possible.

9. Oswald T Wistle

Oswald T Wistle Well-Known Member Friend

ESI Eng Manager (Retd)
    Thanks for the report, sounds like an exceptional day out - you lucky . . .

10. steamingyorkshire

steamingyorkshire Well-Known Member

Lecturer
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    'The Winter Cumbrian Mountain Express' on the 17th February 2018 hauled by LMS 5XP No.45699 'Galatea'.

Video Available Here

[​IMG]

DWH 2848, 60017, green five and 4 others like this.
  11. 26D_M

26D_M Part of the furniture

Has 45699 had a fresh coat of paint, it looks a slightly darker shade in all the fantastic shared images? Maybe just the light?

12. 1020 Shireman

1020 Shireman Part of the furniture Friend

Relaxingly retired
    Morning. I ended a response to Oswald T earlier in the thread after the 3rd's excellent run with this portent for the 17th: "I wonder if Saturday will hold any surprises for us??"

As the speeds I posted earlier and Alan's missive above tell us, it did, in the best of ways. Just to add to Alan's piece, the 51.2 through Oxenholme was a highlight of the climb to Grayrigg. The comparisons of the climbs of Yealand, Grayrigg and Shap are interesting to compare so rather than do a report which would be very similar to the 3rd's with the comments like 'that was quicker' and 'who knew a jubilee could sound like that?' and 'a Jubilee with 11 topping Shap at 30 ish? in your dreams' I've put both runs from Carnforth to Shap in the pdf attached. Write your own reports in your heads under 'I wish I'd been there' if you weren't; and 'so that's how fast we were going if you were and weren't near a timer or don't have a GPS.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 18, 2018
  13. IamDaniel

IamDaniel Member

I'm booked onto next week's run (e-ticket is meant to arrive tomorrow), so am very much looking forward to it based the reports of the previous runs. First time over Shap (and I mean first time, not 'first time with steam') and first time doing all of the S&C.

14. alastair

alastair Well-Known Member

Anyone on next Saturday's CME (24th), note Tornado on the North Briton is booked to arrive P3 Carlisle 1357 and depart 1415 before our ECS arrives 1420 for a 1427 departure.

15. sgthompson

sgthompson Part of the furniture Friend

Tobacco manufacturing
    Not my footage but a fine display on Wilpshire .

g8bvl, Andy2857, DWH 2848 and 7 others like this.
  16. LMarsh1987

LMarsh1987 Part of the furniture Friend

TBC
    That Jubilee Roar ! Glad to of been lineside for this one :Joyful:

17. 60017

60017 Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Retired from corporate slavery :o)
    I'm glad you were lineside too! I especially liked the 2nd sequence :)

LMarsh1987 likes this.
  18. Big Al

Big Al Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator

A quick postscript on Saturday. Take a look at the RTT booked times and actual times. All Galatea did, despite that supreme effort, was to keep time to Shap Summit. Ditto from Appleby to Ais Gill. Yes, there is a little recovery time down the other side of Shap and the S&C is a quieter route but it does illustrate that this itinerary needs either a Jubilee with less coaches or at least a Class 7, preferably a Class 8.

There was no leeway on Saturday; things went very well. But it remains a risky enterprise with that load and a 6P, albeit an exciting one.

19. sgthompson

sgthompson Part of the furniture Friend

Tobacco manufacturing
    Being a video warrior I must agree that although 45699 did keep time as per RTT it was some effort to be early on both climbs .

60017 likes this.
  20. JohnRobinson

JohnRobinson Member

DSC_10368a.jpg 7/02/2018 - Jubilee 45699 'Galatea' storming over Whalley Arches taken from Whalley road bridge over the Calder as she heads for home in the fading light working "The Winter Cumbrian Mountain Express" from Carlisle to Farington Junction.
    View attachment 34051

Last edited: Feb 21, 2018
    60525, Fred Kerr, jsm8b and 8 others like this.