If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Winter CCE with Scots Guardsman 28th January

Discussion in 'What's Going On' started by pete12000, Jan 20, 2017.

1. pete12000

pete12000 Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Is there any news on this as yet ?

2. Paul42

Paul42 Part of the furniture

According to the RTC brochure it will be hauled by 45690 Leander.

3. gwr4090

gwr4090 Part of the furniture

Scientist (Rtd)
    This one is now also via Shap both ways, presumably due to gauging.

Times are here: http://www.uksteam.info/tours/t17/t0128a.htm

I guess that there is a possibility that the steam leg may be extended south of Carnforth.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2017
  4. pete12000

pete12000 Member

Let's hope so, an hour and 6 minutes sat in the DUGL at Carnforth doesn't quite match the scenery of the Cumbrian Coast

5. Big Al

Big Al Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator

No I do not currently volunteer
    If it's Shap and back from Carnforth, even with a possible steam extension to Preston, that's not much of a steam day trip, more an electric loco trip - and there's nothing wrong with that - plus a steam cameo.

railrover likes this.
  6. alastair

alastair Well-Known Member

Wow. That's 15 hours plus on the train for London-joiners,and 2hr 50m actually running with steam,and presumably every chance of a diesel on the back. Can't see CME's surviving much longer on that basis.

Would it not have been more sensible just to cancel until the S&C is with us again?

7. Dobbs0054

Dobbs0054 Member

What and miss the chance of hammering another nail in the coffin of customer confidence?

8. 1020 Shireman

1020 Shireman Part of the furniture Friend

Relaxingly retired
    That's not going to make any difference unless there are Class 7 & 8 locomotives available. Otherwise like today, there will be little chance of them being diesel free. So what's the point of running these trains?
    I'd be very interested to see what the loadings would be if they were advertised as almost 60% are run i.e. 'The train will headed by Steam Locomotive ***** with a Class ** Diesel at the rear. We apologize for passengers in the rear coach(es) for the vibration and noise from the assisting diesel locomotive. We can assure you it is there for a genuine reason'.

9. alastair

alastair Well-Known Member

A comment from Melton North and/or Ray Mason would be welcome! I am not holding my breath.

10. LMarsh1987

LMarsh1987 Part of the furniture Friend

TBC
    Was going to book the trip on 25/3 but have got zero confidence on this route at the moment.

11. nanstallon

nanstallon Part of the furniture

Retired
    I booked for 4th March on the basis of the Cumbrian Coast route - just Shap both ways would be a disappointment.

12. Dobbs0054

Dobbs0054 Member

Well if it is a very significant change from the product that you bought, the ask for a refund. If they refuse the full refund raise it as a dispute with the Credit Card company that you hopefully paid by. They have joint and several liability under s75 of the Consumer Credit Act.

13. RalphW

RalphW Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Administrator Friend

Retired-ish, Part time rail tour steward.
    I think you will find that RTC will do the right thing regarding a refund under these circumstances.
    Interesting that you have raised the credit card company's liability, particularly since it's recently been used against Southern, but I'm sure in this instance it's a sledge hammer to crack a nut approach.

14. Dobbs0054

Dobbs0054 Member

I raised this on another thread before. Yes it may be considered to be a sledge hammer by some. However many do not know that the sledge hammer is available to use. Customers power!

15. RayMason

RayMason Member

Company secretary. Finance director
    Sorry Alastair but have no inside info!

I messed up big time on the Bham Cardiff trip having apparently misunderstood a conversation
    Several posters on NP were understandably upset at my " duff gen"and I decided not to travel as well.
    My feeling was that I wasn't assisting enthusiasts in their decisions to travel and as a Hard core basher myself was uneasy at having encouraged friends and fellow enthusiasts to travel when it was unlikely that my info was totally correct.
    Thus,for 2 months I haven't posted but couldn't refuse to reply to Alastair who is a 100% enthusiast and major supporter of steam.
    I will now resume posting but only to say "how good 75014 was at Paignton"type of post.....!!!
    I apologise for all misinformation in the past- NONE intentional.

In my company,Crystals(UK) we try to follow very high principles of conduct.We fail sometimes but carry on doing our best so that customers recognise that we try to behave with integrity

The present mainline scene sometimes makes me uneasy but being ever the optimist still look forward . I'll be at the S C for all 3 days with my wife,Ros, and will happily buy anyone a drink who I've previously misled with wrong or misleading gen.

2017 will be a difficult time for all tour promotors AND also for N R and many of the TOCs.
    NR /TOCs are under huge pressures and some trips only run with their goodwill and support .(GWR sponsored for example)
    I suspect there will be some v good trips but many others will continue to essentially be diesel shoved whether for sound reasons( rail conditions perhaps)or much less sound( saving a LE path/excess load)

I was planning to remain silent but couldn't decline Alastairs' request to comment......

Best Wishes Ray Mason

Enterprise and 26D_M like this.
  16. Bulleid Pacific

Bulleid Pacific Part of the furniture

A Thingy...
    *Sarcasm mode on* Yay! I want to make tour promoters go bust, drastically reduce the amount of work available and thereby slash the amount of income received by locomotive owning groups! That'll teach 'em for putting a diesel on the back and not advertising it. Oh, hang on... *Sarcasm mode off*

Last edited: Jan 22, 2017
    BillyReopening and 60017 like this.
  17. 26D_M

26D_M Part of the furniture

Ray, thanks for your candid post. I hope you did not cop too much flak for a genuine mistake. I have read your posts and always regarded your intentions as helpful.
    All I will say is you hit the nail on the head when pointing out how honesty and integrity are such vital ingredients for sustained business success.

railrover and RayMason like this.
  18. meltonnorth

meltonnorth New Member

This train will be hauled by 46115 Scots Guardsman Via the Cumbrian coast

sunstream, Enterprise, RalphW and 5 others like this.
  19. meltonnorth

meltonnorth New Member

repairs to 46115 have been completed
    we will try to run this one with steam heat on the steam section so may be no diesel
    We now have the use of a generator car but it is air braked only no good with vac braked steam

sunstream, Enterprise, RalphW and 8 others like this.
  20. Big Al

Big Al Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator

That's reassuring; thanks. So we can assume that indicative timings on the route, already published, will catch up during next week.