If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

WHR Observation Carr. 2100 - A beauty to behold..!

Discussion in 'Narrow Gauge Railways' started by Roger Dimmick, Mar 10, 2009.

1. meeee

meeee Member

Not quite sure what you mean by that, the DLG was invented at Boston Lodge yet practically everyone hates the thing. Linda and Blanche were invented in Leeds yet they are loved by most people at Boston Lodge. The reason that coach is disliked by a some people is because its not really their taste, nothing more sinister than that.

So i don't really see your point.

Tim

2. Corbs

Corbs Well-Known Member

Is DLG hated? I thought it was supposed to be one of the best performers? I've nothing against it thats for sure, think its a beautiful machine.

3. odc

odc Member

Network Technician at St Albans School
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    I think the main problem with DLG is that it is such a good tool for the job that it is no challenge to make go, even with a heavy train. Conversly it can be a pig to control on a small train as it dosn't draft enough. In recent year it has also been the yard kick about and so is less than desirable in some of the ways it now performs. It is also not the most ergonomic engine. When in good knick it was the most efficiant oil burner on the line for work done, comming behind Linda and Prince in guzzeling ability.

I don't have a problem with it other than it's current maintenence program

From personal experiance

4. meeee

meeee Member

Well for starters just park it next to Merddin Emrys and you can tell which is Victorian and which is a 1992 caricature of a Victorian engine, despite the fact that most of M E is newer.

The DLG is wrong in virtually every proportion and lets not forget the god awful shade of tomato soup orange its been painted in.

From and operating point of view it is both uncomfortable and boring to fire. The taper boiler means there's even less room to work and the large cab cutouts give you no shelter whatsoever. As for driving it, compared to the EofM which is a dream machine everything is heavy and the regulators are really tetchy its just no fun. All that power goes to waste and just causes everything to wear out quicker. The only plus point is it has EofM balanced bogies which make it the smoothest riding vehicle on the railway.

I think its just something about the DLG and Tal that make them completely soulless although the Tal has a lot more deficiencies to complain about. Personally I'd take the square any day, steams like a witch on coal or oil, lovely to drive and fire and looks great as well.

Tim

5. paulhitch

paulhitch Guest

Unfortunately this vehicle was on the other train when I visited the WHR so I only saw it on an "across the platform" basis. Paint job seemed as superb as we have been used to from Boston Lodge but I am not sure about the vehicle's proportions. Purely a subjective matter of course. All that matters is how successful it is commercially.

However, where rebuilding or recreating historic vehicles is concerned there is no question about Boston Lodge's efforts. The results are jaw dropping! I am thinking in particular about F.R. No. 15 and the Welshpool and Llanfair duo.

In the case of the latter you need to be shown round them by an initiate in order to appreciate the level of detail. Such things as a painted inscription on the brake setter valve quoting its alleged Oswestry overhaul date in authentic looking copperplate script demonstrate what I mean! This is doing things to a standard in a way Rolls-Royce cannot afford nowadays. Not a way to make a vast profit but what splendid vrhicles

6. 48DL

48DL Member

Sorry tim, but 'the Square' "looks great"??????????

I beg to differ, It looks as though 'Lego' was used in the design process! and the origional dome covers looked like plastic dustbins!

I will not argue with the mechanical performance of it but the sooner the 'old style' bodywork gets on there, the better!

7. SillyBilly

SillyBilly Member

Student
    But the 80s are supose to be comeing back in to fashion so the Square will look even cooler to the public now, thus more people will want to travel behind it.

8. Ben Fisher

Ben Fisher Member

Ah, but the Square is pure 1970s (completed 1979); if you want 1980s, look no further than the current outline of Merddin Emrys (1987)...!

9. SillyBilly

SillyBilly Member

Student
    But it's still got a retro appeal.

Merddin has I think this best paint job ever applied to any loco ever at the moment, just superb.

10. Martin Perry

Martin Perry Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator Friend

Could someone post photos so those of us further away can make the comparison? Thanks.

11. SillyBilly

SillyBilly Member

Student
  12. Platelayer

Platelayer Member

13. Martin Perry

Martin Perry Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator Friend

14. 48DL

48DL Member

I too was at Blodge in '79 when the first trials of 'the square' were being held and and the opinion definitely was "give me 'Mervin' any day".

Ian