If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

WHR Observation Carr. 2100 - A beauty to behold..!

Discussion in 'Narrow Gauge Railways' started by Roger Dimmick, Mar 10, 2009.

1. lostlogin

lostlogin Member

I understand they fill quickly as initially the modern carriages look more enticing often as I agree that some might have better windows, and the corridor connections are handy for a buffet service but to me the corridors in the carriages are the worst thing about the FR carriages as they make them damn uncomfortable.

I am only about 5'9" the wife is 5'2" so we are hardly goliaths and neither of us particularly padded but we find the seats just too cramped. Travelling with two kids under seven, a couple of small day bags and wanting to take off your jackets becomes no fun on a decently full train as you end up holding your stuff on your lap and at least one of you is sitting with their legs in the corridor and only one buttock on the seat!

If there one thing as a passenger I would change on the FR it is that seating was three across with no corridor or alternatively one either side with no corridor with the little tables binned! I appreciate that this may not be a majority view and I am sure that the FR do passenger surveys on the matter but again from hearing the occasional comments from other families especially on damp days we are not alone in our opinion.

Unfortunatly as a consequence we are lost income to the FR as we do still travel on it but less frequently than we would do otherwise because the the wife especially does not really enjoy the discomfort so does not want to travel unless it is in an older carriage or we pay the supplement for first class. But to be honest that feels a bit of a swizz unless you are in the observation carriage as I think the supplement is the same but their is no comparison in the value you receive.

Sorry if that seems a bit of a moan and I appreciate you need a certain density of seating and the income from catering is important but I think in these days when the public is expecting more and has less cash in the pocket the FR needs to consider if it can make it a little bit more comfertable for those of us in cattle class and whose families are tourists rather than enthusiasts so likely to be a little less forgiving

2. Sheff

Sheff Resident of Nat Pres

Retired Engineer & Heritage Volunteer
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Well each to their own Lostlogin. I fully intend to make use of the buffet facilites and given the length of the journey time I shall therefore also appreciate the corridor access to the toilets :)

The obo coach is a cracking piece of craftsmanship =D>

3. SillyBilly

SillyBilly Member

Student
    It'd certainly be more roomy than the FfR Disco Carr, I was only about 10 years old and it felt cramped then!

4. lostlogin

lostlogin Member

I deliberatly only mentioned the FR but I agree that on the WHR the requirement for corridor access is greater especially for those travelling the full distance and using the buffett facilities. That is in my view unlikely to be those of us travelling with young families. Equally as it is a longer ride I would have thought comfort in cattle class would take on more importance. I do not know if the FR and WHR carriages are fitted out the same but I understand the WHR carriages may have slightly larger dimensions and from pictures the seating looks slightly better, however the full width tables which I think get in the way are stll there.

I agree the carriage will be to a high standard as some of the work the FR have done in recent years on the heritage coaches and refitting the observation cars is suberb. I just feel those of us travelling hunched up in third class could do with a little bit more room. Sort of like flying with BA and having 19" or 21" leg room and a budget airline and only having 17". That extra 2" does not sound much but it makes a lot of difference.

I also think that it would reflect the changing size of the average member of the public as looking at pictures we the general public are a wee bit bigger on average that in the late 60s and 70s when I guess the current seating arrangments were planned.

As I said before this is not meant to be a huge moan and my comments where meant to be constructive.

5. Hunslets Finest

Hunslets Finest Well-Known Member

Very impressive but I think beauty is in the eye of the beholder! Give me a quarry Hunslet and a rake of slate wagons any day.

I also understand the concerns about the lack of any 'heritage character' in the new railway. It certainly isn't the Welsh Highland I was hoping to see when as a young lad I walked the pass in the 1970s and saw Russell for the first time. Hopefully the day will come when the FR will let Russell and a heritage train out and that will be first time I will travel on the new railway. Hopefully the wait won't be too long! Also lets' hope over time the infrastructure will take on a more traditional appearance.

6. jtx

jtx Well-Known Member

Happily retired
    What a class act that coach is! Ignore the carping, Roger. The WHR has never set out to recreate the WHR of old. We know what happened to that. It has set out to become a major tourist railway and an artery into the National Park and it must attract its bread and butter, which is tourists. I will be treating my wife and myself to a ride in that coach at the earliest opportunity and I have no doubt there will be a lot of competition. It will be great to see "Russell" and the heritage stock from time to time, but the railway needs long trains, filled with passengers, hauled by big engines, to survive and thrive.

7. jtx

jtx Well-Known Member

Happily retired
    Absolutely, H.F, but someone's got to pay for them. I like Panniers and Prairies on two and three coach locals, but my line has just had four big engines as guests, 3 Pacifics and a Castle. Totally inappropriate for a GWR branch, but 5,000 people came to travel behind them, eat, drink and buy stuff. That works for me.

8. 76079

76079 Member

To put it mildly that coach looks stunning!! Well done boston lodge!!!!

Roger (or anyone in the know really) does the WHR intend on offering pullman dining on occasions? say both pullman cars and one of the new service cars?

How come the new Pullman has been outshopped on plain bearing bogies when it was stated it was to be on ex Romanian roller bearing bogies?

I notice on the website the stock transfer movement has taken place, but no 87 wasnt included, are they still sorting out niggles? the WHR must now have nearly all FR diesels lol

Also do we think there will ever be the chance to see Adrian Shooters B pounding its way along the line? or is it out of gauge?

9. ryan66

ryan66 New Member

We know what happened to many Welsh narrow gauge railways.
    None of them had a viable future until they were taken over and restored by eager enthusiasts.

10. pjm

pjm New Member

Train Planner, Network Rail
    Having spoken to him it is on his to do list and since it went up the fr with a special roof i think the WHR should not be a problem.

11. weltrol

weltrol Part of the furniture Friend

No one seems to have commented yet on the first move over Britannia Bridge this morning.....

http://www.isengard.co.uk/

Well done FR/WHR.

Frank N.

12. Sheff

Sheff Resident of Nat Pres

Retired Engineer & Heritage Volunteer
    Great news =D> - and a great web-site for anyone who's not a regular visitor.

13. Autotank

Autotank Member

Radio Producer
    Fantastic work - can't wait to have a ride through the pass in it. This mornings move was also very significant and a moment for many to be very proud of.

To me the reopening of the WHR in full is by far the most exciting heritage event of the decade. I really hope it turns out well for all concerned in the next few years as I know there are quite a few doubters.

Looking forward to at least a couple of visits in 2009!

14. Ben Fisher

Ben Fisher Member

Don't worry, the FR is due to get one of those diesels back later today (just not the same one that's on its way to Dinas)...

87 was not due to move north today, whatever you may have read here or there. However there is a date pencilled in for its move (by the same method as today), you'll know all about it when it happens (but possibly not before).

15. 76079

76079 Member

Thanks for the info, out of interest which engine is going back to the FR?

16. Nexuas

Nexuas Well-Known Member

Theatre Technician
    Criccieth Castle

And it should be back on the FR by now, or at least in a Porthmadog postcode, having passed Gelert's farm just before 4pm.

17. Roger Dimmick

Roger Dimmick Member

Narrow Gauge Heaven - Porthmadog, Gwynedd
    The simple answer is not in the forseeable future...

At the present moment, we do not have the infrastructure necessary to operate a Pullman Dining service.

For now, you'll have to make do with a trip on one of the 'Bangers & Mash' trains - to be run from Caernarfon to Beddgelert every Tuesday and Wednesday evenings during the Peak (Red) service timetable. Food provided by Snowdonia Parc Pub at Waunfawr, licensed Buffet service available throughout the journey... \:D/

Now that's a technical/engineering question - and I don't do technical/engineering questions... 8-[

18. timmydunn

timmydunn Member

Trains and data
    When will the Observation Car enter regular service?

19. Roger Dimmick

Roger Dimmick Member

Narrow Gauge Heaven - Porthmadog, Gwynedd
    AFAIAA - at the start of this season's timetable, on Saturday 28th March...

20. SillyBilly

SillyBilly Member

Student