If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

WHR Observation Carr. 2100 - A beauty to behold..!

Discussion in 'Narrow Gauge Railways' started by Roger Dimmick, Mar 10, 2009.

1. Roger Dimmick

Roger Dimmick Member

Narrow Gauge Heaven - Porthmadog, Gwynedd
    Boston Lodge have been at it again - only this time it's the turn of the Carriage Works lads to take a bow and accept some well deserved plaudits...

The doors of the Paint Shop swung wide this afternoon, and new-build WHR Pullman Observation Carr. 2100 was rolled out for its 'official' photographs.

These can be found in my new 'F&WHR - March 2009' collection...

So, take a look - but only if you're interested, of course! :wink:

Of course, Bernard, I'm off now to put MY Carr. 2100 through the Paint Shop - as I didn't know what the final livery was going to be until this afternoon..!!

2. 60017

60017 Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Retired from corporate slavery :o)
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    That looks amazing - one to be very proud of !!

3. SpudUk

SpudUk Well-Known Member

Project Manager
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Wow very impressive...

...a little pretencious though?! Certainly getting away from the slate railways they were......

4. deetooefaress

deetooefaress New Member

Vulgar is the word I would use. :smt078

No denying it is a very nice job, but it is not welsh narrow gauge.
    If you want to play standard gauge toys go get yourself a standard gauge railway.

5. Roger Dimmick

Roger Dimmick Member

Hardly pretentious... Ornate would be a much better word

;-)

The livery is very close to the FR's Victorian Livery - as shown below...

FR Curly Roof Van No.1
    [​IMG]

FR Replica Ashbury No.10
    [​IMG]

FR 'Bowsider' No.19
    [​IMG]

WHR Pullman Observation Carr. 2100
    [​IMG]

It's been a long, long time since the FR was 'just a slate railway' - world leading technology, innovation and continuous development have long been a Ffestiniog 'trademark'...

6. Roger Dimmick

Roger Dimmick Member

Each to their own...

See comment above about FR tradition being one of development and innovation - not stagnation and 'make do and mend'.

Heritage carriages are certainly loved, cherished and valued by the FRCo (as witnessed by the impressive restorations and replicas turned out 'ad infinitum' by Boston Lodge staff and volunteers) but why should we limit ourselves to yesterday's technology?

There is a pressing need for 'First Class' accommodation on the WHR. The building of an iconic and innovative narrow-gauge carriage, with it's unique mix of modern comforts and traditional detailing - to standards envied by many (if not most) standard gauge railways - is catering to 'market demand'...

7. pingadam

pingadam New Member

I agree with Roger - why can't you have both genuine heritage and new stuff ?

The newly restored Buffet Car on the WHHR is fabulous (see: http://whr.fotopic.net/c1664183.html - can't wait to travel in it!), but so is this new observation car - just in different ways. Also, between them the WHR, WHHR and FR do have plenty of heritage stock anyway.

This way you get the best of both worlds - genuine, lovingly restored old heritage stock (but maybe not quite so comfortable for prolonged journeys by modern passengers ?), plus innovative, new and still attractive (and more comfortable) modern stock.

Wonderful photos Roger - thanks for posting them here. =D>

8. Roger Dimmick

Roger Dimmick Member

Cheers Adam - and, of course, you're right about modern passengers.

When we run Vintage trains they're very popular with enthusiasts - and some, but by no means all, of our other visitors.

When we run mixed rakes of 'modern' and 'heritage' carriages, it's always the 'modern' carriages that fill first - with the heritage carriages being seen as a very poor second by the vast majority of our visitors.

The thing is, given the option, Mr & Mrs Public like their creature comforts - corridor connections, buffet service, on-train toilets, individual (cushioned) seats, windows they can easily see the scenery through etc etc... Your 'typical' heritage carriage doesn't cater for that...

As for me - well I'm waiting for the time when I can ride the cushions, drinking a nice cup of 'Rosie-Lee', in the WHHR Buffet Carr... but not on a 50-mile round trip to Caernarfon and back. That's when I'll be heading for the comfort of the modern stock..!

:-D

9. deetooefaress

deetooefaress New Member

Apart from the years when it was closed.
    Butcher and bodge is another alternative tradition I've heard suggested. How is Mountaineer by the way?

Only because it has become fashonable in recent years.

Really?? :smt103 I'd have thought with an average of 74% of seats per train NOT being sold the last thing the Dark Side needed was any extra carriage stock. Keep the stock where it is needed most.

I didn't know that Pullman Standard built wooden 2'-gauge carriages.... :? :lol: :lol:

Don't get me wrong. It is very impressive, if you like that sort of thing, but crowing on about it when 3 of the people building it got the bullet last year, takes the edge off of it.

10. pete2hogs

pete2hogs Member

For Maine in the US, I believe. There is a prototype for everything.

There is an urgent need for a second modern Pullman/obs car on the WHR to match up the rakes - Joe Public doesn't like timetable footnotes to work out which trains have what accommodation.

Too many people seem under the impression the WHR is a preserved railway - surely it isn't? Its case to get permission to proceed was as a new tourist attraction and alternative to road access to that part of Snowdonia, and therefore it has to do its best to provide facilities accordingly. It does allow some preserved (heritage?) stock to run, but that's for those of us who are odd enough to prefer that kind of thing.

11. timmydunn

timmydunn Member

Trains and data
    Beautiful. A long-distance railway gets the quality accommodation that it deserves. I bet that it'll appeal to a different market and rake in some extra cash. Entirely appropriate heritage for a railway that has innovated, adapted and experimented since inception. Does it matter that it's not necessarily in keeping with other stock? Its purpose is to convey passengers in luxury and with great views. Similarly I wouldn't mind an all-modern rake with glass roofs to make the most of the scenery that the WHR sells itself on.

When will it be in service - any chance by Easter?

12. SillyBilly

SillyBilly Member

Student
    And neither are Garratts!

13. SpudUk

SpudUk Well-Known Member

Project Manager
    I agree that it is beautiful, and if there is market demand then fair enough! And with the size of the FR/WHR I am sure there will be much appeal for it...

...I mean when I do my campaigning tour for Prime Minister I would certainly like to use heritage railways to get about if I could, and that would certainly be required on my Welsh leg...

14. meeee

meeee Member

Well seeing as i its built by a welsh narrow gauge railway for a welsh narrow gauge railway i beg to differ. Not all narrow gauge is pottering around on jubilee track with a Ruston, just look at the Rheidol.

Personally i think it looks like a canal boat.

15. nanstallon

nanstallon Part of the furniture

Retired
    I think it looks great, and imagine the scramble to get the seats right by the end window! Let's face it, to be commercially successful, the WHR must offer an appealing product and one that people don't mind paying quite a lot of money for. Most potential customers are not that bothered about having authentic vintage (and uncomfortable) coaches, and just want to be steam hauled, with a good look at the scenery. Vintage coaches are good for enthusiasts and especially photographers, but I don't think that railways will get fat on just their patronage.

John

16. Tracklayer

Tracklayer Resident of Nat Pres

Employed
    Fantastic workmanship. The railway has to, and is, providing a high standard of modern rolling stock with First Class facilities, buffet and toilet facilities on each train. I cant wait to ride in it...

17. Gwenllian2001

Gwenllian2001 Member

Retired
    [/quote:1omgduft]Only because it has become fashonable in recent years.[/quote]

It has nothing to do with fashion. Newly built rolling stock has enabled the heritage fleet to live in semi-retirement and receive the attention that it deserves.

[/quote]I didn't know that Pullman Standard built wooden 2'-gauge carriages.... :? :lol: :lol:[/quote]

So what exactly is your point? The cariage was built at Boston Lodge.

[/quote]Don't get me wrong. It is very impressive, if you like that sort of thing, but crowing on about it when 3 of the people building it got the bullet last year, takes the edge off of it.[/quote]

Perhaps you are unaware of the economic conditions that are putting thousands of people out of work every day. Decisions of that nature are not taken lightly but it does not 'take the edge off' a very fine example of the coach builder's art.

I often wonder why, when there are so many good and generous people in this world, some people are determined to be mean spirited.

Meic Batten

18. triassic

triassic Member

What happens in the big gap behind the two arm chairs by the rear window? More seats or is that for the pole dancer and the sound system? \:D/

19. Roger Dimmick

Roger Dimmick Member

I've been waiting for someone to comment on that...

The carriage is divided into two saloons - the Observation Saloon and the Pullman Saloon - each normally seating up to twelve passengers. The chairs in the Observation Saloon are low-backed (as seen through the panoramic window) and, to confuse you, we have fourteen of these! Immediately behind the 'best seats in the house' there are a pair of wheelchair accessible doors - the space required here for entry to the carriage can, if necessary, be used to add the two 'spare' low-back chairs.

The Pullman Saloon will have twelve high-back armchairs - as used in 'Bodysgallen, our original Pullman carriage. However, at the moment these are still being upholstered... so twelve low-back chairs from the Observation Saloon are sitting/stored in their place.

There, you are - clear as mud... but, as all of the seats can be freely moved in/out/ or around the carriage, there are plenty of uses it can be put to... So, mobile disco through Snowdonia anyone..? \:D/

[Don't think you'll get that one past the guvnor though...]

20. crantock

crantock Member

Beancounter
    No I do not currently volunteer
    It looks superb. The photos will be great marketing. One of those on the front of a leaflet will block the "I don't want to go on a cold boring steam train" response.

Now how about a premium for reserving the best seats. Say an extra £10? I'm serious. The value for money on an observation car is superb. =D>