If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

WHR Carriage 2060

Discussion in 'Narrow Gauge Railways' started by MuzTrem, Jun 3, 2017.

1. MuzTrem

MuzTrem Member

The recent discussion of WHR carriages in the F&WHR news thread brought to mind a question I have sometimes wondered about - rather than introduce "thread drift" I thought I would start a new topic.

How has the Romanian coach 2060 compared to the Winson/Boston Lodge saloons in service? Is there any possibility of more Romanian coaches being acquired for the WHR, or will all future stock be home-built?

2. Selsig

Selsig Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    I think the gist of it is that, whilst there is nothing wrong with 2060, it didn't represent the expected saving over new-build following regauging and reconstruction with a new interior and fundamental emgineering mods (corridor connections, vac braking, electrics etc). Also the work took so long that the expected pile of redundant carriages had been scrapped by then, ergo it is always destined to be a 1 off.

John

3. MuzTrem

MuzTrem Member

Thanks John. Rather a shame that the scheme didn't pan out as intended, but at least the WHR got one useful coach out of it!

4. NGChrisW

NGChrisW New Member

I did notice when I travelled on it earlier this year that it seemed to be suffering from a number of the (presumably double glazed?) window units being "fogged" and passengers seemed to head to the other coaches in preference.
    There used to be quite a stock of those coaches at the works at Criscior in Romania but I think quite a few of them have now found their way to other preserved/forestry lines in Romania for their tourist services. Certainly when I was at Criscior a couple of years ago the remaining examples appeared in pretty poor condition.
    Chris

5. nobopant

nobopant New Member

2060 is in the works at Boston Lodge for maintenance including window change.