If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

WHHR and BFTR

Discussion in 'Narrow Gauge Railways' started by Felix Holt, Nov 8, 2017.

1. Felix Holt

Felix Holt Guest

Seeing as the WHHR has locos and rolling stock but nowhere much to run them (still no Russell on the WHR!), and the Blaenau Ffestiniog and Trawsfynydd is working on a trackbed with no rolling stock ....
    You see where I'm going here? A quick conversion to 600mm (or more fun dual gauge), then lo and behold problems solved. :Angelic:

Anyone think this could be a serious possibility?

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 8, 2017
    Meiriongwril likes this.
  2. sycamore

sycamore Member

Guard & Signalman (E&BAR) / Driver (HVMR)
    Embsay or Bolton Abbey, sometimes in between...
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    half expected the FfR to look to take on the BF&T once a competing scheme was announced!!! Suspect as the line is still NR property, it has to remain standard gauge?

Last edited: Nov 8, 2017
    Bluenosejohn likes this.
  3. Tim Light

Tim Light Well-Known Member

No I do not currently volunteer
    I'd be surprised if FfR hasn't considered and rejected an extension to Trawsfynnyd. It's hard to see how this extension would generate the traffic to justify its operating costs.

A northward extension from Caernarfon to Bangor would be nice, but I'm not holding my breath.

4. Felix Holt

Felix Holt Guest

Trawsfynydd - one 'n', double-d. Slip of the fingers in my original post, now corrected! The double-d is a separate letter from a single-d (and, yes, it goes into a single square in crosswords and scrabble), and stands for the 'th' in English 'breathe' (not the 'th' in English 'breath').

Forestpines likes this.
  5. clam1952

clam1952 New Member

Retired
    More than likely, Network Rail may possibly require it in the future, re the possibility of a small Nuclear Reactor being installed at the power station. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-north-west-wales-39085496
    The BF&T don't seem to have much luck with their fund raising either.

6. Reading General

Reading General Part of the furniture

the WHHR operation at Porthmadog is actually quite a decent run with a visit to the works thrown in halfway back. Such a shame they can't run further but the WHR is effectively a main line commercial operation and the costs of getting the WHHR certified to run would be quite high and where would extra passengers come from to make it a possibilty.?

As for running as Felix suggests, I can't see it happening for the reason Clam1952 gives.

Bluenosejohn likes this.
  7. Felix Holt

Felix Holt Guest

I've always been a tad disappointed with visits to the WHHR. Once you've toured the museum once there's seldom a reason to tour it again unless major changes have taken place. Of course, this is the enthusiast speaking and this is less likely to affect the non-enthusiast member of the public.
    There was some talk a while ago (on here at any rate) of the WHHR adding to its line by acquiring land and running up towards Tremadoc. I guess cost would argue against this though....

8. Reading General

Reading General Part of the furniture

i wonder if there would be room for them to run the other way paralell to the standard gauge?

9. Meiriongwril

Meiriongwril Member

Just need to rebuild the Gorseddau Junction and Portmadoc Railway.
    Or at least a little bit of it.

10. 30854

30854 Resident of Nat Pres

Retired
    If "þ" ('þorn/thorn) were reintroduced it'd solve þe problem at a stroke. Wotcha reckon .... stick it after "d" in Welsh dictionaries and "t" in English and give it a "4" for Scrabble purposes? I know .... wrong forum ....

On reflection, although it might work for "Earl of Merioneth" and 7027, where would that leave 5051 and what about all those expensive nameplates? Probably best just let sleeping dogs lie!! :cool:

11. Forestpines

Forestpines Well-Known Member

Yes I am an active volunteer
    Go the way of Icelandic and reintroduce both þ and đ. It's đ which is closest to the Welsh letter dd.

30854 and andrewshimmin like this.
  12. LesterBrown

LesterBrown Member

I can imagine that 'txt spk' must be interesting in Welsh :)

30854 and Bluenosejohn like this.
  13. pete2hogs

pete2hogs Member

Caernarfon to Bangor has huge difficulties. Nothing's insuperable, but for a start you'd need dual gauge running from Menai Bridge to Bangor station. Plus lots of the trackbed between Velinheli and Menai Bridge is gone.

Forestpines likes this.