If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Where to find LMS/BR wagon numbers

Discussion in 'Railwayana' started by burgerbern, Jan 3, 2018.

1. burgerbern

burgerbern New Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Hi

i have been going through my wagon plates and wagon repair plates trying to find out which type of wagon they were originally fixed to with some success, but i have hit a brick wall with a repair plate with L.M.S connections and despite many days of searching the web cannot find any lists of L.M.S wagons that this number fits into,

the plate as usual starts of with the words "GENly REPAIRED" followed by "BY MARCROFT" and then

"LMS 168825"

and dated "2-1971" so the repair was done in BR days and because of that i have tried searching for the number under both L.M.S and BR numbers, i am guessing that because of the way the plate is done the wagon must have had something that indicated its L.M.S heritage.

But am at a loss to know where to look now, any pointers

Last edited: Jan 3, 2018
  2. burgerbern

burgerbern New Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Well a new book arrived today "British Railways Wagons the first half million" by Don Rowland and looking in there i found that Lot no 2634 to Diagram 1/108 was a 16 Ton Welded Steel End door Mineral wagon and Pressed Steel in Scotland manufactured a batch of these that includes the number 168825, but that was for British Railways and does not cover the LMS moniker just before the number on the plate, any ideas?.