If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Whats next in the Q?

Discussion in 'National Railway Museum' started by beetlejuice, Apr 18, 2008.

1. beetlejuice

beetlejuice Well-Known Member

Student with 2 part time jobs, Windsurfing coach a
    Straight forward question, but with probably a very hard answer! Would it be possible for the NRM to give us a definitive list or at least an idea of what might be coming out after Scotsman?

I know we've got the 4f at GWR but other than that....

I realise that its hard for you to say anything definitive as it requires sponserhip etc but is there some kind of plan for the steaming of the locos? Ie Say Green Arrow is on A medium term resteaming plan, so not immedietly but not a too long away!

Personeely I'd like to see something a bit smaller come out, say the J52 or 42500(3 cylinder LMS tank jobbie) but....no point in just saying it!

Ross

2. stepney60

stepney60 Nat Pres stalwart

Ellerman Lines! \:D/ ;-)

3. beetlejuice

I was trying to be quite serious, there's no point in going on the merry go round with another endless discussion of what should steam. I was just asking wether there was some kind of structured plan or plan per loco for restoration or simillar....

4. John Elliot Jnr

John Elliot Jnr Well-Known Member

Museum curator
    Good point. I'm not sure that the NRM has a "queue" in the way that a preserved railway might have one. After all, the museum doesn't have a service to run; the museum steams locomotives because demonstrating a small selection of its locomotives is the right thing to do. However, I wouldn't be surprised though if the museum maintains lists of locomotives that are in steam (Super D, City of Truro etc), locomotives that could be steamed (Evening Star, Stanier tank etc) and locomotives that will never be steamed (Gladstone, NER 1275 etc). These are just my guess, but an update on current NRM thinking would perhaps be welcome.

5. beetlejuice

I know they have a sort of running board like most MPD's, but whats next to be chalked up as it were, would be a welcome annocemenet!

6. Christopher125

Christopher125 Part of the furniture

By the way, who is representing the NRM on this forum?

7. Ben Fisher

Ben Fisher Member

Livingston Thompson please...! :)

8. Broomhalla

Broomhalla Well-Known Member

chalk up the T9 as being one of the next engines from the NRM to be overhauled.

9. beetlejuice

I thought that was due to go into bodmin works in a bit anyway....

10. cct man

cct man Part of the furniture

CONSTRUCTION
    Yeah, but thats the point Ross, this is an NRM loco.

Regards
    Chris

11. Christopher125

Im amazed at the bad press the NRM get on here and by many enthusiasts in general. I dont agree with a few of their decisions but it doesnt stop me seeing the vast amount of good they do for the movement as a whole. Hoepfully the people coming on here to answer our questions wont get put off, but they're going to have to put up with some rediculous arguments given whats been written about 4771 recently.

Personally, im up for getting the Midland Compound out and about, but only when a few other NRM engines have gone out of ticket. We're rather spoiled for choice at the moment.

Chris

12. Kerosene Castle

Kerosene Castle Well-Known Member

Guys, this part of the forum has barely opened, and already it's a case of 'when's this gonna be running, when's that gonna be running'... give them a break!

They have a good number of engines either running or being worked on - there's no need to go dashing into the great hall to try and find something else. Try and be content with what you've got for a while.

I do wonder how those in the NRM percieve the general enthusiast community - this thread must seem like a parody.

13. stepney60

stepney60 Nat Pres stalwart

It reinforces something that I've said before about the enthusiast community, they're very much like children with toys. You can let them play with all the toys in the world, except one. And that one is the one they really want to have.

Take A4s. We have three running but no, people want Mallard as well. It's the classic example. You need but look at the frothing over Lode Star to see it as well, all those other GWR 4-6-0s running around; Kings, Castles, anything you like, but they keep moaning about what they haven't got rather than celebrating what they have

People only started taking an interest in Green Arrow when they suddenly realised they couldn't have it anymore

14. Woody Forest

Woody Forest Member

=D> I can't believe the whole Flying Scotsman chimney, smoke deflectors, apple green, brunswick green etc. hasn't been brought up yet, I thought it would have been the very first topic! I have to agree with Stepney too, there will always be many engines within the NRM collection that can't or shouldn't be steamed, it's about time enthusiasts realised that, stopped whinging and directed the energy saved from doing such into the very many worthwhile project's/locos that are already running or in need of restoration, they all need your help.

15. David

David Member

water meter reader
    Any chance of the SECR D class brought back to steam and put on the Bluebell? [-o<

16. Kerosene Castle

Kerosene Castle Well-Known Member

I don't think anyone is being hypocritical - being disappointed/annoyed that an engine is going out of ticket it perfectly understandable. The problem with Green Arrow is that you're getting a crowd saying that it MUST be overhauled, it MUST be running, steaming is the ONLY sensible option for it... basically a lot of hype and little common sense. I for instance was sad to see 5051 go out of ticket, but I'm not so deluded as to think that the main priority of GWS should revolve around steaming that one engine.

I know what your intentions were in starting this thread, but as I was saying, it just gives off the wrong impression.

17. admin

admin Founder Administrator

Founder National Preservation
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    I have split some posts to try and make this topic flow better.
    Cheers

18. Peer Lawther

Peer Lawther New Member

Afternoon all, sorry for the delay in replying - this was set up just as I went away for a long weekend in Northumberland, away from internet access! And importantly, thanks to the admin to setting up the NRM subforum - it's much appreciated.

I look after the NRM's online communications so I'm not the person who would be able to answer this particular question, but I know who could, so I'll see if I can get a definitive list from them of what's currently running and if we can announce any future restorations here and/or on the NRM website (would that be something that would interest people? What would you lot like to see on the Collections pages of the NRM website?)

As I've only come into NRM in the past few months it's interesting to see how the outside view vs the insider view is. Even though we have a huge amount of leverage (due to our visitors) within the scene, we still have the same issues that other societies have - usually lack of time, space and resources.

On a slightly different topic, as mentioned in this thread, I do think we're "the good guys", especially in gaining awareness with the more casual visitor and that can only be good for the whole scene if we give those people the impetus to learn more about steam/history/the engineering. This is probably a topic for different thread though...

Anyway, I'll get back to you with more details on the queue soon!

:)

19. dace83

dace83 Well-Known Member

20. Christopher125

Thankyou Peter, you are very much welcome here and i think the list your going to provide will provide ample topics for discussion! Would there be anychance of an update on Hamilton's streamlining progress at Tyseley?

It would also be great if you could find out what the situation is regarding the streamlining, whether it is suitable for mainline running in the future or if it would need redesigning to fit network rail restrictions.

Chris