If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

what should the nrm restore next?

Discussion in 'National Railway Museum' started by seaham luke, Sep 14, 2013.

1. 5786Dan

5786Dan New Member

But there are similar locos available. Better off going for a sole survivor in my view.

2. Anthony Coulls

Anthony Coulls Well-Known Member

Taff Vale 28

Rlangham likes this.
  3. 5786Dan

5786Dan New Member

Could the Bluebell organise a long term loan for the D class much like they did with the Q and Bodmin are doing with the T9?

4. Dan Hill

Dan Hill Part of the furniture

Brick Machine Operator
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Well according to the editorial in the new Steam Railway Magazine they are finalising they're next Appeal project to be announced in the spring.

Given most projects have involved the NRM (63601, 3440, 70013, 6229 restreamlining, 4472's vaccum brakes etc) I wonder if the NRM are involved again. Maybe a Southern loco but most of the current NRM Southern locos are pre grouping apart from 35029 (never likely to steam again), 34051 (currently at Ropley under cosmetic restoration) and C1 which would be the most likely contender.

5. martin butler

martin butler Part of the furniture

Dan, do you think my post might have just been in jest ;) of course i know it wont ever be a candidate , on being serious, most of the ones we would love to see returned to steam are pre grouping, some are going to be incapable of a return to steam, so can AC actually tell us what engines are in theory capable of being put back into servicable condition without loosing to much of their historical fabric, ie would need new boiler or cylinders wheels etc.

6. Peter Hall

Peter Hall Guest

Having got the A3 restoration back on track, would it not be more sensible to concentrate on the other appeals/restoration projects that appear some what stalled at present before starting with another. I have in mind the Taff Vale tank frequently mentioned in this thread, last NRM update was in March http://www.nrm.org.uk/AboutUs/PressOffice/PressReleases/2013/March/Taff Vale.aspx - has the £10, 000 been raised yet? Sir Winston Churchill which appears to be somewhat short of its target still http://www.nrmfriends-south.org.uk/NewsItems/WinstonCcampaign.html the Stirling single tender and of course 'King Feisal of Iraq'.

7. Anthony Coulls

Hello Peter, steady progress on all those fronts I'm pleased to say. More anon, but work progresses on the tender and Churchill, though as you quite rightly say, more beans are required. TVR 28 got a lot of critics but very few were willing to put their hands in their pockets - but there is big news on that front soon. I'm also meeting Bill Parker soon to progress 3183.

8. 5786Dan

5786Dan New Member

Sorry, not good with sarcasm on the internet. Can't read tone through text, my mistake.

9. flying scotsman123

flying scotsman123 Resident of Nat Pres

Yes I am an active volunteer
    sarcasm tags are needed;

[sarcasm]enter sarcastic text here[/sarcasm]

:D

5786Dan likes this.
  10. 34098

34098 Member Account Suspended

The Q1 or green arrow hope these are the locos steam railway want to back.

Sent from my RM-914_eu_euro1_327 using Tapatalk

11. martin butler

martin butler Part of the furniture

i would rather see one that hasnt steamed in preservation get overhauled, pref a pre grouping 4-4-0 either LSWR,or SE&CR

12. Sheff

Sheff Resident of Nat Pres

Retired Engineer & Heritage Volunteer
    Midland Compound would be good, double heading with a red Jub?

John Stewart likes this.
  13. Spamcan81

Spamcan81 Nat Pres stalwart

Training moles
    Done that, got the t-shirt.

14. JWKB

JWKB Member

15. Anthony Coulls

Thanks for that James, much appreciated.

I'd rather see people put their hands in their pockets rather than pontificating and writing complaining letters to magazines...

16. Spamcan81

Spamcan81 Nat Pres stalwart

Training moles
    Well said. If writing letters and pontificating on the Internet resorted locos, we'd have a bigger working fleet that we would know what to do with.

17. John Stewart

John Stewart Part of the furniture

Retired
    If it were possible to restore two, I would suggest the spinner and the compound. Primarily this would enable an authentic Midland double-header but, by pairing the compound with a Jubilee, one could have an equally authentic LMS/BR pairing (just ignoring the livery aspect). There could even be niche for premium-rated short trains hauled by the spinner. These were so economical that water would last as long as a tenderful of one of the pacifics and one could get 120 miles out of a tonne of coal!

18. 46118

46118 Part of the furniture

Midland Compound, and I know a heritage railway with some very nice Stanier coaches to go with it....

Ok, ok, "vested interest"....

Actually though, as others have said, piloting a red Jubilee.... just the job. ( February 1983, 1000 and 5690, Cumbrian Mountain Express, in the snow?)

Back to reality though, and I guess Mr Coulls and his collegues are trying to balance a very tight budget up there.

19. p/wayman

p/wayman Member

voulunteer on pway
    How about something completely unique never been run in preservation, would not take vast amounts of money to restore it. Ok perhaps not for passenger use but a bit of history from one of the smaller railways. Only 2 locos from them preserved neither has ever been restored. I am of course talking about the shameful overlooking of The North Staffordshire Railways locos and bringing the battery shunter 0-4-0 no.1 back to running order. How expensive can it be, rewiring, motor overhaul, new batteries and perhaps a coat of paint. Built in 1917 it would be nice to get it done to celebrate its 1oo years. Come on NRM do something for the smaller railway companies that made Britain the best railway in the world.

StoneRoad, Sheff and tor-cyan like this.
  20. p/wayman

p/wayman Member

voulunteer on pway
    If it does get restored it might be an idea to also restore something like a 10 ton vent can which can house the battery charging equipment. It could be pre nationalization or BR, to accompany it around so no problems charging it. Also the battery company might sponser it and it could have their logo on the side, of course it would have to be a period one just like the pre nationalization ones. Are there still some about?

StoneRoad likes this.