If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

What is your railway doing and what can be done to attract younger people to become volunteers ?

Discussion in 'Heritage Railways & Centres in the UK' started by toplight, Sep 12, 2017.

1. Steve

Steve Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Gentleman of leisure, nowadays
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    All heritage railways have been made aware of this and the likely problems. Most have decided to carry on as usual. I believe that there has never been a prosecution so there is no case law and it is only QCs opinion (and others.) . Unlike. H&SW, employment is not defined in the relevant Acts. The 1973 Work Experience Act is the indicator as the government obviously thought it necessary to introduce this Act to nullify the 1920 Act.
    I can't answer the question of insurance. Railways will have insurance for their volunteers and it should include young persons but there is always the possibility that they will use the 1920 Act as a get out if there is a claim.

2. martin1656

martin1656 Nat Pres stalwart Friend

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    But as its in theory illegal for someone under the age of 18 , except for the cases of children on work placements,or training to be employed, either paid ,or unpaid on railway premises surely the insurance will not cover them, ? .
    Where they are part of a known scheme with their school/ college I'm assuming that comes under training, its certainly raises a lot of questions, if theres a loop hole where by children are in effect not covered by the railways liability insurance and a blind eye it turned it needs to be sorted out whereby any person is covered whilst on railway property whilst working for that railway .
    Anyway can i wish Alex good luck and good fortune with his future, in the career he has chosen for himself , I for one once he has qualified hope not to end up in his dental chair, So you dont like GWR locos Martin, Wheres that blunt drill :eek::eek: