If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

What is your railway doing and what can be done to attract younger people to become volunteers ?

Discussion in 'Heritage Railways & Centres in the UK' started by toplight, Sep 12, 2017.

1. flying scotsman123

flying scotsman123 Resident of Nat Pres

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Deleted - double post!

2. flying scotsman123

Oi, I was up at 6:30am today to go to the railway, my friends think I'm mad, I've only had about half a dozen lie ins this summer holiday thanks to playing trains and walking the dog!

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

michaelh, martin1656 and Platform 3 like this.
  3. flying scotsman123

I hadn't heard about this - are there any links I could have a look at because that sounds like exactly the kind of thing that ought to be done, and how I went about it, even if it's not really allowed any more.

4. Jamessquared

Jamessquared Nat Pres stalwart

I'm curious about that - we have a 9F club for volunteers aged 9 - 16 already. Obviously, they work with adult supervision, but they are doing real volunteering roles around the railway (we had about a couple of dozen in the loco yard on Sunday).

One of the really good projects that the older ones completed over the last year or so was restoration of one of the line side huts along the line: my understanding is that they are now working on a second and have plans for further restorations working along the line. Some of the design work has been carried out by the youngsters themselves, using skills in CAD etc to design parts for pre-fabrication and assembly on site. Hopefully, even if they drift away to careers or education elsewhere in the country, they will be able to say on any return when passing the line side huts "there's something I did".

Tom

5. martin1656

martin1656 Nat Pres stalwart Friend

No I do not currently volunteer
    I Think to work a " responsible person" would have to in effect agree to become responsible for that young person otherwise i can see insurers not wanting to allow it, so it would have to mean joining a known youth group on a railway with a person who's job it would be to ensure their safety .

6. flying scotsman123

Not necessarily, a "responsible person" can be a parent working in the same department (as it was for me initially - I had to twist Dad's arm to join) or another volunteer who's happy to do so that the parent trusts (as it was for me when Dad couldn't commit as much time, he knew the folk there though).

7. johnofwessex

johnofwessex Resident of Nat Pres

Thorn in my managers side
    What about sending you up to Sheffield with a MK1 on a low loader for you to work on in the Halls of Residence Car Park??

But seriously though my Brother went to Sheffield and lived there for a good many years afterwards, the Curry Houses are excellent as is the surrounding countryside - and he met his Domestic Facilities Manager there

8. flying scotsman123

Believe it or not that was suggested by two other people today! :D

Jamessquared likes this.
  9. flying scotsman123

On a side note, I love the juxtaposition of the thread title and the featured image on Tapatalk! :)

[​IMG]

Matt37401 and martin1656 like this.
  10. Steve

Steve Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Gentleman of leisure, nowadays
    It has been illegal for nigh on 100 years for anyone below school leaving age to work on a railway. The Employment of Women, Young Persons and Children Act 1920 prohibits the employment young persons under school leaving age (now 16) in any industrial undertaking. The concept of volunteering did not exist then and the Act does not define employment. It does, however, define industrial undertaking as including railways. Until recently, no one has been concerned at young people volunteering. However, a person (unnamed) has started to stir the waters with letters to HMRI and other organisations. The HRA has sought opinion from a QC and that opinion is that it is illegal for young people to volunteer on heritage railways (or any other of the industrial undertakings defined, which includes canals). HMRI have also come to the same conclusion. HMRI have publicly stated that they wish to encourage young people and, as the enforcing body, would never prosecute a railway that has young volunteers. However, there is nothing to stop an individual from taking out a private prosecution or a local council from so doing. As it is technically illegal, there also comes the question of insurance as you cannot insure against an illegal activity.

It would seem that, despite lobbying, government is not inclined to take any action to regularise the situation and it has been left to this private members bill to do so.
    https://publications.parliament.uk/pa/bills/lbill/2017-2019/0052/lbill_2017-20190052_en_2.htm
    Whether it succeeds we shall have to wait and hope.

i'm sure that Robin can provide more detailed and accurate information on the subject.

11. goldfish

goldfish Nat Pres stalwart

That's how rumours get started… ;)

flying scotsman123 likes this.
  12. Steve

You only highlighted half of it!!:(

13. martin1656

That is not what i meant, he's from Cheltenham not Purton :eek: things like that don't go on on Cheltenham their far to posh .

14. martin1656

Now i bet that would attract not just Alex, but his friends also , I'm not sure how much work you would get out of them though i suspect they would all be in zombie mode

15. flying scotsman123

Thanks for that Steve, all of what you write makes sense - and I shall certainly write to my MP about that private members' bill but does that imply that all railway youth groups are not insured?

Now I'm going to ask a naïve question; if HMRI won't prosecute and it's merely a question of insurance, is the host railway allowed to weigh up the risks and decide they don't need that insurance for young people, or is not having certain people covered by insurance illegal in itself?

Hate to keep asking for links, but could you point me in the direction of where to find "HMRI have publicly stated they wish to encourage young people" please?

Sorry for all the questions but for obvious reasons, it's an area that interests me. Just glad I'm 18 now so don't need to worry about it.

16. flying scotsman123

Quite right!

17. Matt37401

Matt37401 Nat Pres stalwart

Nosy aren’t you?
    Ruddy Hell! I should have suggested that to Mr Dunster as a way of getting more shareholders to give up their time when I worked at Kiddy! Would certainly have got a few more of my friends at school to take up an interest in class 50's!

johnofwessex likes this.
  18. Enterprise

Enterprise Part of the furniture

I believe it is legal for children or young people to take part in a work experience programme in a railway context. Such work experience has to be approved by the local LEA.

19. Jamessquared

Jamessquared Nat Pres stalwart

Thanks Steve, that's interesting.

I wonder how many railways have organised youth groups? I believe the Swanage Railway do - I wonder who else?

Tom

20. Steve

That is correct. The Education (Work Experience Act) 1973 allows this for children in their final year of compulsory education. The Act was introduced because the 1920 Employment of Women, Young Persons & Children Act made it illegal to have work experience in industrial undertakings.