If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

What do you look for in a gala...?

Discussion in 'Galas and Events' started by Lewisb06, Jan 7, 2009.

1. Lewisb06

Lewisb06 Member

Work for Big railway
    Seeing that there is a poll for 2008 gala of the year I started to wonder what everyone
    would actually want to see at a gala.

What makes a good gala?

2. malc

malc Part of the furniture

- All locos in use on passenger trains each day.
    - Proper connections between trains (i.e. allowing time for passengers to swap trains)
    - No freight trains occupying paths that could be used by passenger trains.

3. Sheff

Sheff Resident of Nat Pres

Retired Engineer & Heritage Volunteer
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Relaibility and a programme with some chance of running to time.

Wives etc get a bit tetchy if the train isn't there when it's supposed to be.

4. 37255

37255 Guest

Loads which require a loco to work a bit (admittedly that's difficult when running large locos on relatively flat lines, but when possible...) and crews who are prepared to give their locos a bit! \:D/ (To clarify that statement, I'm NOT talking about doing stupid speeds, but getting to 25 (or whatever the line speed may be) in an entertaining manner!) ... Admittedly the latter can be difficult or impossible to roster for, but seeing as the question was "what makes a good gala?", that's my answer.

Oh, and industrials being used on proper trains, not "It'll only be capable of pulling 3 wagons because it's small".

5. lil Bear

lil Bear Part of the furniture

Railway Technician
    We had a similar thread last year, IIRC it was Woof who asked the question.

The main thing for me is late running. The galas I have enjoyed the most have had trains running well into the evening. I like this because you get to sample steam at night, which in my opinion is a different experience in itself which has to be sampled. Also though, it means I can spend the day lineside and go for a ride at night providing some form of entertainment. If I'm staying over in the area I would rather be on a train in the evening than sat in a hotel room watching whatever rubbish on the TV.

Also helps though if the line has a few gradients which challenge the locos a bit. Having an engine that barks is also more entertaining in my eyes (S160s / Manors).

6. 34007

34007 Part of the furniture

For me would be a mixture of Passenger and Freight working. All locos in working order, with a mixture of banking and longer trains (Sensible).
    Also for the Midhants the hampshire Unit running shuttles. A new overhauled loco coming out for its first time in ages or 'EVER' in preservation and everything run to time! (Wife too hates waiting around for a late running train as belive me I have been on the footplate firing on some)
    I think that is all I can think off for now..... :-k

7. Spamcan81

Spamcan81 Nat Pres stalwart

Training moles
    A decent freight working or two. Interesting combinations of loco on decent trains. Went to one gala advertising banking and what did I get? A two coach train with a loco at each end. If we're going to have banking give us a train that makes the banker do a bit of work.

8. 34007

34007 Part of the furniture

Here, Here! Indeed! 7/8 coach trains what I was talking off with something such as a bulleid hauling the train with a banker at the other end! And not on a flat line I mean!

9. P&JR

P&JR Well-Known Member

The Peoples Democratic Republic of the Causey Arch
    What do people make of the current trend to include more 'side shows' at galas - more things off train to keep people entertained. A lot of effort went in to the last Tanfield gala to put on model railways guided tours etc but I'd be interested to know what the general consensus is.

10. Broomhalla

Broomhalla Well-Known Member

- A beer festival/tent
    - Something else happening beside the trains. Don't get me wrong a strong cast of visiting engines is what i come for but what will make people stay is something else to look at and do. Vintage cars, traction engines, trade stands etc.
    - Workshops open for the public to look round. Wouldn't mind having a look round Kidderminster carriage works (The old carpet works)
    - Things to do along the line. I guess this is a rehash of 2 but if theres something going on at another station it gives me a reason to get off the train.

11. chrishallam

chrishallam Member

For me, it's all about the intensity and locos working a little bit hard. That's why somewhere like Quorn on the GCR is bliss for me. I think at the recent SR gala there was something passing through every 15 minutes on average. I'd also include in this a good mix of freight, passenger, non-stop and stopper to give the whole place a good feel.

I don't really think that big name locos are that essential if you've got an intensive service with all the variety that means the whole atmosphere of the place has more feel to it than say a pacific with 5 coaches doing 25mph and just blowing off the whole time!

Depending on the strength of the home fleet/a loco returning from overhaul, I'd say that a visiting loco was probably useful too.

For me, provided there's lots happening at the gala train-wise, they're not essential, though provided they're easy to get to from the platform, or I can still watch trains go by, e.g if you've got a model railway in a goods shed, with locos passing by the window, then they're definitely a nice little extra.

Oh, but a good beer tent, within sight of all the action is essential!

12. southernman

southernman Well-Known Member

The railway being stretched to the limit. That is why the SVR september gala is so good. The committe put a timetable together that really stretches the railway and it works. And before anybody points it out, yes there have a been some mistakes in the past but, you learn from them. IE the mistake by the Kidder station staff to let the last departure from Kidder go before the last one from Bewdley had arrived.

September 2008 gala was brilliant at the SVR, at any one time there was 9 locos in steam and all moving! with 2 spare waiting for paths! What other railway could do that? Night running is very special as well. Seeing a Manor climbing Eardington bank at 9pm when there is just enough light to see the loc but not enough for a photo is something special. (its not very special when you have to be up at 5 am and there is a train going past ever hour!!!)

13. Coal Sector

Coal Sector New Member

Themes.
    Recreating the past
    Beer
    Noise!
    Visitors
    Off Rail Entertainment
    Chance to Photograph engines away from public
    (so photographic events etc)
    Busy Time Table
    Freight

i know two railways that does offer this.

14. chrishallam

chrishallam Member

Oh, and I forgot to mentioned, everyone's favourite blue faced Engine.

THOMAS!

15. David

David Member

water meter reader
    A good reliable service.
    The right engines matched with the right stock as much as posible.
    A visiting loco or 2.
    A freight train to add variety.

16. blackfive

blackfive Member

Timetable and loco information available well in advance, even if it has to be paid for. 10/10 to the K&WVR for this one, they always seem to be able to provide information whereas others (NYMR for example) can't or won't.

17. david1984

david1984 Resident of Nat Pres

On a personal (selfish ?) point, loco's that i've not seen before or for ages.

What makes a good gala ?, IMO:

Intensive passenger service, both full line and shuttles

Freight workings (those who say those should be kept for photo charters ought to keep in mind not everyone can make such events as many are on weekdays)

Shed/workshop viewing if possible

A good selection of loco's, perhaps a big name and something rare in that part of the country

18. Alberta 45562

Alberta 45562 Part of the furniture

Train Simulator Developer
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Diesels

19. tobes3803

tobes3803 Member

Interesting non passenger working which make it different to an ordinary day! Also a cyder and real ale festival! More cyder though than real ale =P~

20. 6136

6136 Member

A lack of silly double heading. I recall a Terrier on the front of 92240 on the Bluebell, and a pair of spam cans coupled smoke box to smoke box on the WSR.
    As to what I like the SVR autumn gala is nearly perfect most times and what makes it is the overnight operation. It gives something that you don't see at any other time.