If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

West Coast Santa trains 2017

Discussion in 'What's Going On' started by 46236, Jul 21, 2017.

1. Shep Woolley

Shep Woolley Well-Known Member Friend

Retired
    I don’t know about that Steve but I do now know who ate all the mince pies lol

2. GWR4707

GWR4707 Nat Pres stalwart

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Looks like a lovely day out, cannot wait for two weeks time when we get to ride on it.

I know that a lot of people don't like Christmas but the passive aggression coming through in various posts on this thread is somewhat disquieting...

gwalkeriow and Waterbuck like this.
  3. RalphW

RalphW Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Administrator Friend

Retired-ish, Part time rail tour steward.
    My point exactly.

4. henrywinskill

henrywinskill Well-Known Member

Transgender toilet attendant
    No chance of that Fred lol

Michael Anderson likes this.
  5. 26D_M

26D_M Part of the furniture

My experience is that any remarks deemed unfavourable to WC are subject to [not so] passive agression by way of response from a small group of 'loyalists'. As you are one of the usual perpetrators I should be interested to know where you perceive the passive aggression in this thread and why it has only now caused you disquiet.

Dobbs0054 likes this.
  6. GWR4707

Deleted - although the lack of a yawn emoji in the software is most disturbing.....

vil-baille.gif

Spamcan81 and Springs Branch like this.
  7. 26D_M

8. GWR4707

Thank you, you have made my day!

26D_M likes this.
  9. 26D_M

Thats odd, you didn't seem to hold with the notion it was a bit risky twice attempting Wilpshire with a 5X and 12 unassisted ......

Dobbs0054 likes this.
  10. 26D_M

Politeness always deserves to be rewarded in my book.

11. Oswald T Wistle

Oswald T Wistle Well-Known Member Friend

ESI Eng Manager (Retd)
    Sorry for the late posting, I needed to go Christmas shopping today - apparently.

The Santa Express 03 December 2017 – 48151 hauling 12+POB (with 47804 “active” on the rear)

“Was the night before Christmas” – well 3 weeks before the night before . . , but Christmas was in the air, there was a robin in the garden as we set off to Preston. We had agreed to take Oswald Jnr to Preston station to catch the 10.02 to Edinburgh then we planned to have something to eat in the station buffet (The Beer Room) before catching the 10.54 to Lancaster. Alas, the buffet was closed for refurbishment so we settled for a bacon roll and hot drink from the West Cornwall Pasty Co on platform 3. Good quality and value at £3.65 a head.

We arrived to an already crowded platform at Lancaster and a few minutes later 47804 hauled the train, with 48151 just visible at the far end, into platform 3. All of the carriage windows were down and “filled with elves” shouting, laughing and whipping up enthusiasm as they directed passengers to their coaches. The coaches were identified with large festive banners on the inside of the windows, Mrs W and I were four from the back in coach H, “Cupid”; all the coaches appeared to be named after Santa’s reindeer, except for the one next to 47408 which had a banner identifying it as “Santa’s Office”: I wonder who might be in there? The interiors of the coaches had been decorated with tinsel and baubles festooned from the luggage racks.

Surprisingly, amidst all the jollities and mayhem, we were away RT to collect the rest of the passengers at Carnforth, we reached a max of 49 around Hest Bank but arrived 4L. Once again the elves (both men and lady elves in full costume and with make-up) “jollied” the remaining passengers on board. Along with most of the other passengers Mrs W and I were wearing Christmas jumpers; I had my Santa hat. Tables with children had an advent calendar, sticker/colouring book and a pack of crayons waiting for each child. All tables had a couple of copies of song sheets for some Christmas songs; Rudolph the red nosed reindeer, Jingle bells, When Santa got stuck up the chimney and We wish you a merry Christmas – so no excuses!

We were away RT and made our way down the (under used by steam?) “Little North Western”. The carriages were nice and warm thanks to the ETH (important as there were several babies and toddlers on board). We had a lovely early winter’s day as the sun streamed through the carriage windows, some splendid scenery and the delights of jointed rail. Just time to sing a few Christmas songs before the children were served with their food (didn’t see exactly what) followed by food for the adults, a tub of hot pot followed by a cup of mulled wine and a mince pie – all delicious. We topped the summit at Eldroth at 32 then gently down through Giggleswick and slow for Settle Jn and on towards Long Preston. On this stretch we crossed with a WCRC ECS returning from Bridlington to Carnforth. A five minute stop and then we were into the loop at Hellifield (1E). Time for our first water stop.

We set off RT and away towards Blackburn, I got distracted talking to an elf, as you do, and almost forgot to switch on my GPS. As the journey progressed, the elves excitedly announced that Father Christmas was in the next carriage and would soon be making his way through to us. Eventually he arrived, assisted by Mrs Christmas and an elf. He asked every child if they had been good and what they wanted for Christmas, he took plenty of time with each child and even knew their names (labels on tables), there was time for photos and of course a present. Very, very well done! Santa even chatted to Mrs W and me saying, as he shook our hands, that you’re never too old to talk to Father Christmas. I agree!

We slowed before Horrocksford Jn and as we passed through 5½E a train could be glimpsed up the branch. We accelerated through Clitheroe (7E) and up to 43 as we left the town. A couple of miles on and we began to slow as we crossed with a service train, down to a trundle and finally a stop at Whalley. We waited for 5 minutes until the preceeding service train cleared Daisyfield Jn (we were a little early and it was a little late into Blackburn). Still 2E we were away and onto Whalley arches, by Billington (approx a mile further) we were up to 27 mph; 47804 (aka Bruno the brown nosed reindeer) was giving us a hefty shove up the rear. Speed dropped back to 19 before Langho, was 48151 trying alone?, if so not for long, within ¾mile we were up to 28. We were through Wilpshire Tunnel at 25 and over the summit at 24 then down towards Daisyfield Jn (arriving 4E) only to be held and then off again RT. We passed through Blackburn station at 27 and on to our final water stop at Cherry Tree arriving RT.

Watering complete we were away 2E and off on our final leg. The timings were generous and we arrived at Farrington Curve Jn (7E) where we were held until getting away 1E and onto the WCML, through an almost deserted Preston station (2L) where the elves had asked us all to wave and cheer – we did! We left Preston station at 20 mph and this increased to 50 by the M55 bridge and it increased a little further and was held for mile after mile. 48151 is a “50 mph engine” and because of this restriction we arrived in Lancaster 4L.

We left the train for our connection back to Preston and to watch 48151 leave in the failing light, its crisp exhaust barking out as it headed north. As Mrs W said, “That’s the first time that we’ve heard the loco all day.” She was right (she usually/always is) and it didn’t matter one iota. As we waited, another WCRC ECS, the Statesman Rail set with top and tail diesels (ex Holyhead), stopped on the down main waiting for the Barrow train to pass on the platform line. Our connection (TP to Manchester Airport) was very crowded and running 4L but we were soon back in Preston and home not long after 5.30pm.

Thanks to Ron Smith and Martyn Soames, on the footplate of 48151, and to Mick Kelly, in the cab of 47804 (Bruno), for their usual professional displays. Admiration for the hard work and boundless energy of the on-board children’s entertainer (from Blackburn as he frequently told us – he could have called at his mum and dad’s if he knew the train was stopping at Cherry Tree); silly banter and jokes abounded and his balloon models were a delight to behold. Thanks to the elves who kept it all going. However, pride of place must go to the train manager who was splendidly and immaculately attired as the fat controller and he looked every inch the part.

WCRC have produced and excellent package that is executed with enthusiasm, care and professionalism. This is what you get so, if it’s not your thing then be warned; but only the mean-spirited will criticise. All the children in our carriage appeared to have a good time; a couple of big kids had an excellent day out.

12. DOH46229

DOH46229 New Member

13. Dobbs0054

Dobbs0054 Member

I had misplaced faith in the erudite fonts of all knowledge who occupy this forum.

14. Dobbs0054

Dobbs0054 Member

As ever an excellent report of the day and really good to see that WC have invested in the Spirit of Christmas with all the elves and trappings.

Just out of curiosity, what was the split between Santa Special and Christmas Dining coaches?

15. Keith Sergeant

Keith Sergeant New Member

My shot from Brock on the return to Lancaster, the Sun had hidden behind a cloud. If I go out for it next week I will have to take a faster lens..

_DSC2018.jpg

Last edited: Dec 5, 2017
  16. GWR4707

Thank you for another glorious write up, we get our turn in a fortnight and our little girl is very excited (steam trains, santa, what is not to like!) I also showed this to Mrs GWR4707 who was a little circumspect about the whole thing but is now very excited, reading your prose even made her a little tearful as she loves Christmas.

17. Dobbs0054

Dobbs0054 Member

On the same one... Passive aggressive Mince Pies at 20 yards? ;)

GWR4707 and 26D_M like this.
  18. 26D_M

That should provide an interesting meet opportunity. Your comments are about businesses and services whereas your critics seem only interested in personalised responses. I wonder if any of them will have the good grace to discuss their issues, apparently with you, in person?

Dobbs0054 and Bodorganboy like this.
  19. GWR4707

I can only speak for myself, I don't have any issues with that poster, the monkey living in the apparent parallel universe however....

However I will be avoiding anyone who is moaning about the diesel on the back and merely hoping that my little girl has a jolly old time....

Its supposed to be fun you know :D

20. Matt37401

Matt37401 Nat Pres stalwart

Nosy aren’t you?
    Quite right there.