If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Wensleydale Railway - Aysgarth station

Discussion in 'Heritage Railways & Centres in the UK' started by ianh, Apr 5, 2011.

1. ianh

ianh Member

Farmer -
    Looking at the WRA website building repair works are continuing at Aysgarth any progress towards extending the rails towards Aysgarth?

Google Earth shows about 2.7 miles of track missing...

2. Ploughman

Ploughman Part of the furniture

Ex a lot of things.
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Last year from Redmire westwards was still untouched rabbit country.

3. Great Western

Great Western Member

No I do not currently volunteer
    The formation from Redmire to the S&C looks pretty much intact as far as Google maps shows. Is the plan still to rebuild as a community railway, a heritage line ?

Great Western.

4. Christopher125

Christopher125 Part of the furniture

I believe the emphasis has moved away from a community line towards a more traditional heritage line, which presumably will help increase income and volunteers.

5. Coboman

Coboman Member

Do we know who owns the trackbed beyond Redmire and especially Aysgarth? looks like its been sold off going by the bits and pieces that have been turned into parts of fields. I also see theres several bridges out including a fairly large river crossing...
    Going by the WRA website, they make reference to Aysgarth cottage, I wonder if thats the station? On google earth it looks totaly intact, Also they are having a £2m share issue, part of which is for advancing west of Redmire.

6. John Webb

John Webb Member

Retired
    As I understand it, Aysgarth Cottage is the old railway station. They do seem to be concentrating on the Leeming Bar-Northallerton section at present, presumably because the track is there and the ability to run into Northallerton station and connect with the main line services would enhance visitors and tie in with local transport policies.

7. Sheff

Sheff Resident of Nat Pres

Retired Engineer & Heritage Volunteer
    AFAIK Aysgarth Station in the cark park and national park visitor centre for the nearby falls and walks etc. I was there a couple of months back. Lovely spot to visit.

8. Christopher125

Christopher125 Part of the furniture

Hopefully with the new emphasis on being a more traditional heritage line they'll concentrate on Aysgarth instead because Northallerton really looks horribly expensive.

Chris

9. royce6229

royce6229 Well-Known Member

Hawes station has a visitor centre and car park but Aysgarth, certainly a year ago was very private, it was used as a holiday cottage, not sure if it still is, very complete site including main building, platforms waiting shelter and signal box, also some carraige bogies stacked in the yard, not sure where they have come from.

10. Sheff

Sheff Resident of Nat Pres

Retired Engineer & Heritage Volunteer
    You're right, quite clear on Google Maps. It's to the east of the road, where as the Visitor Centre is to the west, my post above is rubbish. I do wonder what the Visitor Centre yard and building were though, as there appears to be a shed and yard on the station site too.

11. royce6229

12. Tom F

Tom F New Member

Self Employed Music Teacher
    Thought I might add in here as I'm a volunteer on the Wensleydale Railway, and I live in Aysgarth :)

Firstly, yes...the railway is going more heritage like, very much a great thing IMO :) more steam here and hopefully on a more semi permanent basis.

The cottage referred to is the station building and belongs to the WRA, the whole site does and is very much intact....just missing the track....The focus at the moment is getting the more heritage feel...but then with a focus of Westward towards Aysgarth, rather than towards Northallerton.

Hope this helps :)

Tom

13. royce6229

Thanks for that Tom.
    Aysgarth station will be a real draw for visitors and enthusiasts when the railway gets there.

14. SpudUk

SpudUk Well-Known Member

Project Manager
    Wow, what an achievement that'd be! Looks do-able between Redmire and Aysgarth, as well the potential for Hawes and Garsdale. I've driven that route on the computer, would be nice to do it in real life!

15. Platelayer

Platelayer Member

What has happened to the aims of the Wensleydale Railway to run a public service?

IIRC grand words were spoken in the early days to the effect that this wasn't going to be just another heritage railway.

Presumably some support that the fledgling WR received would have been based on the original non-heritage business plan - what happens with that? Is the rural public service idea dead?

16. Tom F

Tom F New Member

From a personal opinion........these comments have no connection to the railway, but as a public railway...it hasn't worked no. Living in the Dales, I know what it's like, and people use car to get from A to B, I'm self employed and work 40 miles away, the railway wouldn't serve my job.
    The buses themselves in the Dales only have a hand full of passengers on board.

If it hadn't changed over....I think the railway would be in a very worse state.

Diesel Gala this year had more passengers and enthusiasts, we have EVER seen using the railway, the marketing change has definitley had an effect, and I feel the WR now has a bright future.

17. Tom F

Tom F New Member

18. Tom F

Tom F New Member

Afternoon all

Just bumped thread as it took some time to show up, being effected by the spam filters.

19. Paulm

Paulm New Member

Hi all,
    Paulm's the name - Station Manager at the renamed "Aysgarth Falls Station" for the Wensleydale Railway, residing in Aysgarth Current activity at the station centers on refurbishing the buildings and site to ensure it's weather proof and looks attractive etc (see photos)

The site is entirely owned by Wenslaydale Railway PLC and is approx 3 acres in size and contains the following -

(photos - http://www.wensleydalerailwayphotos.co.uk/aysgarth_station.htm
    and
    http://www.wensleydalerailwayphotos.co.uk/stations.htm

1. Weighbridge Managers Office (near entrance gate) -
    2. 4/6 bed holday cottage -http://www.wensleydalerailway.com/html/aysgarth_station_holiday_cotta.html
    3. 2 platforms
    4. Waiting room with model railway - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SCnaxPaVdRs&feature=player_profilepage#t=13s
    5. Platform Signal Box
    6. Goods Shed
    7. Station Masters House
    etc etc

But sadly no track as yet -
    But wait - there are plans afoot to bring some track and statics to the site later this year to coincide with the delivery of the M50 bridge to Redmire thus starting the work to link the two again.
    At Aysgarth we plan to take in (on panels of track)
    1. A redundant Mark 2 coach (currently used as a cafe) and convert it to a camping coach.
    2. A 0-4-0 diesel shunter (RUSHTON) (running but not usable)
    3. At least one coach (or possibly 2 mark 1 brake vans) to convert to a museum.
    4 An unused diesel unit for display

This all in preparation for laying running track at Aysgarth at some point during the next two years.

So if your'e interested why not come up and have a look round next weekend ?
    If your'e interested in volunteering to refurbish the buildings or to run the model railway get in touch !
    Or if you've comments or ideas or just want to ramble on . . . . .

regards
    Paulm

20. royce6229

Thanks for that info Paulm, was a few years back that I had a look at Aysgarth station and from your photos you have done a great job on the site. Best wishes for the future.