If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Weddings at Steam Railways

Discussion in 'Heritage Railways & Centres in the UK' started by wehaveaproblem, Jan 14, 2009.

1. wehaveaproblem

wehaveaproblem Member

Draughtsman
    Right, I want my (long suffering) bride to turn up on a steam train on our big day. I have had a quick look at some Heritage Railways and there are some promising solutions. Spa Valley Railway, Bluebell, Churnet Valley Railways. Can anyone provide me with some suggestions or experiences which could help make my decision easier. Probably 100-150 people at the ceremony, food on railway site or nearby hall.
    Thanks in advance.

2. tamper

tamper Member

retired
    Here you are. :smt057

Sadly for the numbers you require, the GNR Saloon is too small.

3. Orient Express

Orient Express New Member

4. southernman

southernman Well-Known Member

Enquire at the Severn Valley Railway....

5. barclay

barclay Member

We did a lovely wedding at the Caledonian Railway a couple of years back. Opposite Brechin station is the lovely Grade A Listed Gardener Memorial Church, and near Bridge of Dun station is the House of Dun, a William Adam-designed stately home. The groom organised the wedding at the church and reception at the House of Dun, and chartered the railway to take his guests between the two.

The best bit was he didn't tell his bride about the train - they emerged from the church and the driver of the Bridal car rang me by mobile - because I was waiting just out of Brechin Station in charge of Barclay 0-6-0T "Harlaxton" and three decorated mark 1s. The Bride and Groom got into the car, which drove 50 yards onto the platform as I pulled the train in alongside, with lots of noise & steam! The bride was quite overwhelmed and had a bit of a cry - in a nice way of course!

Here's a photo
    [​IMG]
    - that's me by the enigne.

6. age4047

age4047 New Member

Passed Fireman
    The Talyllyn holds a license so that weddings can be performed at its Abergynolwyn station. You can charter your own train and the railway will provide the catering etc. Take a look at http://www.talyllyn.co.uk/weddings/index.html if you fancy a wedding on a charming narrow-gauge railway in a beautiful part of Snowdonia.

[​IMG]

7. odc

odc Member

Network Technician at St Albans School
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    As does the Ffestiniog at Tan-y-Bwlch. I fired for one once and we had a live harpest on the station and the bride in the white on the footplaite (of the ALCo). Perfect weather also.

8. wehaveaproblem

wehaveaproblem Member

Draughtsman
    Thanks for ideas so far. Keep em coming.

9. Nexuas

Nexuas Well-Known Member

Theatre Technician
    A dead one would really spoil the ambience!

10. RA & FC

RA & FC Well-Known Member

11. chrishallam

chrishallam Member

The Nene Valley can do them too.

I believe that last week they had the groom ride in on the newly restored pump trolley in fact!

12. 22A

22A Well-Known Member

Administrator
    30 years ago the NNR hosted one. Some of us volunteers in grubby overalls held shovels & picks etc aloft to form an arch for the couple to walk under. We manged to stand far enough apart to avoid getting oil, coal dust or grease on that white dress.

Opposite end of the scale MRC do funerals. http://www.peacefunerals.co.uk/Railway.html

13. Roosterrory

Roosterrory Member

Fireman/Fitter at PDSR
    The Paignton and Dartmouth is now liscened to do weddings. If you ring them up i'm sure they could cater for your needs.

Tel 01803 555872

Rory

14. lil Bear

lil Bear Part of the furniture

Railway Technician
    Beat me to it !

Bit of information for you then. You can book either the autotrain or one of the sets which can include the Thompson Buffet if required, which is due to return to service very shortly.

The pictures shown are from 2 seperate members Trains we ran last year, which they hired as part of their celebrations.

15. David Ward

David Ward Well-Known Member

Driver- Northern Rail at Liverpool Lime St
    Ive fired a wedding train or 2 on the Severn Valley and they always look like they're having a good day/evening. On board food/booze etc must add to the enjoyment.....

16. Ganger

Ganger Member

Railway Dogsbody
    South Devon Railway do several each season. Had my own reception there a few years back. Started off diesel hauled (so this missus could have a ride on the loco without getting dirty and I could get a chance to drive my own wedding train) and then used the loco from the daily service to work a couple of evening runs. Stock consisted of the two luxurious ex GWR Super Saloons, and the clerestory saloon that once ran as part of Queen Victoria's Royal train. Stopping off along the way besides the River dart made for a very memorable event. Trains can usually be tailored to meet most requirements. There was even an auto train used by a wedding party a couple of years back.

17. svr1317

svr1317 New Member

The Spa Valley Railway work closely with Groombridge Place (wedding venue in Medieval Hall) and High Rocks Inn (wedding venue, with 4 different sized reception venues, and the Rocks for photos). Spa Valley provide anything from a single reserved compartment on a service train, to a whole train charter depending on requirements. An on train bar / catering is also available if required. During the peak season we have wedding charters most weeks.

I personally got married eight years ago at Groombridge Place, with guests parking at High Rocks and taking the train in both directions, combined with a vintage bus from Groombridge Station to Groombridge Place. Our reception was then in the middle sized Presidents suite at High Rocks, with band and DJ. Of note is that unlike many venues, for receptions High Rocks only charges for the food/entertainment, not venue hire. It was a day greatly enjoyed by us and our guests - I even have a photo of my wife on the footplate, and she dosent normally appreciate trains !

18. Stu in Torbay

Stu in Torbay Part of the furniture

GPS Navigation Engineer
  19. Indeed we did!!! It was a superb day for both us and our guests and just an unforgettable experience for Nick and I. 6024 Preservation Society and Past Time Rail did us proud!

FC

20. wehaveaproblem

wehaveaproblem Member

Draughtsman
    Thanks for replies. Not sure we can afford a mainline tour. Must of been good. Got some good ideas. Might have to do a road trip around a few railways for a look.