If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Walking into Blea Moor tunnel

Discussion in 'Bullhead Memories' started by Linesider, Oct 19, 2006.

1. simon

simon Resident of Nat Pres

I believe it is the real fireman - its just the image is really odd - esp as you would expect some blurring of the figure as he would have been moving.

The exposure is 1/4 sec.

My wife claims that in some way its me - but I tell her that I'm not that bald!!

2. Diamond Gaz

Diamond Gaz Well-Known Member

Did any body near you fire a flash whilst you were taking the picture?

3. admin

admin Founder Administrator

Founder National Preservation
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    ohhh Never knew that about dartmoor..

Now, where is my torch, I know where i am going next weekend for a few nights!!!

4. SouthernRegion

SouthernRegion New Member

sleepaholic
    Booking on one night at Reading and I heard furniture being dragged around - coming from the clocktower........... :shock:
    And another night me and the manager went up there - rather we nearly went up there.....
    I got half way up when something went BAAAAAANG cue me running back down 3 steps at a time back to the platform......... :shock:
    I can also swear our house is haunted too - it feels almost permanently cold, the cat refuses to enter the living room :)shock:) and there was a really loud and long meowing coming from outside the living room, from the hall way....the cat was sat at his cat flap in the kitchen, quite calmly....:shock: 8-[

grandsire likes this.
  5. jonwright87

jonwright87 Member

Student (Civil Engineering) P-Way Engineer on Lond
    SR, if you hear a whining noise after February, but see no train, you know it will be the ghost of a wessex!

6. 5944

5944 Resident of Nat Pres

Train Maintainer for GTR at Hornsey
    No I do not currently volunteer
    I lived in a house at uni that was a bit odd. Hidden behind a wardrobe was a fireplace, full of photos of a dog that belonged to the guy who used to live their. During the evenings the floorboards and stairs could be heard creaking, like there was someone walking around, but there was no one there. Not the occasional wood-bending creak, proper clomping around. The floorboards never creaked when people walked on them. It scared the life out of us at times, especially if horror movies were on! The house was only a 40 year semi, not as if it was a huge country manor.

7. gauging AL

gauging AL New Member

Mechanical Engineer
    Thanks people! very interesting stuff, the only problem is the last time I was in Holme Tunnel (Holme Chapel) it was 3 in the morning and I was sure I was being watched whilst I was measuring the structure.

I was left on my own for half an hour finishing my measurements whilst the other chaps tided there kit away, very dark and my head torch was almost flat.

One of my colleagues was measuring the Severn tunnel, he recalls following a group of men, stopped to take more measurements and they had gone.

Thinking nothing of it he carried on, speaking to his colleagues later he asked about the workmen who should have passed them and they had not seen any one (spooky)

8. ady

ady Well-Known Member

Post office
    I have these two little books about phantoms and railways. Places that are haunted includes Sharpthorne Tunnel before the Bluebell extended (that to scare Stepney! :smt003) when this man was spooked by someone of something moving in front of the light inside then finding he couldn't walk forwards anymore and Dunster goods shed where a decease shunter hangs around in the corners.

My favorite one was about a girl who had her head removed by a train while trying to see her lover, and then her ghost scarred the Brunel of some railwaymen many years later. 8-[

9. Linesider

Linesider Well-Known Member

Great spooky story there, thanks. Is that the tunnel they dug out from above once for essential maintenance? Have you been in any other tunnels up here? Rise Hill always gives me the creeps...

10. stepney60

stepney60 Nat Pres stalwart

8-[

Help!!

11. gauging AL

gauging AL New Member

Mechanical Engineer
    Linesider

I am not aware of this tunnel being dug out but the tunnel lining is not great, I had a section only 150m wide to Cant, gauge, sixfoot and profile and boy does it rain in them. Got to back in Feb. :-#

The only other tunnel I have been in was at Staylbridge, we were half way through and are computers and optical measuring devices started playing up with batteries draining left right and CTR. It rains in there to :-s

12. Linesider

Linesider Well-Known Member

Well good luck! I've seen the end of the copy pit tunnel and it does look a bit out of shape - must be all those ghosts hiding in there! :smt002

13. Tropicalpalmtree

Tropicalpalmtree New Member

Do you have a new link of this photo? Interested to see it, Thanks

14. johnofwessex

johnofwessex Resident of Nat Pres

Thorn in my managers side
    My two youngest used to chatter away to someone who wasnt there when they were babies

15. nigelss

nigelss Member

Or rather someone who was there but you couldn't see :)

16. sleepermonster

sleepermonster Member

Around twenty years ago I was interviewing a client late in the evening. Our office was a rather rambling mid victorian pile. The room was a traditional solicitors office, all dark furniture and bookcases, said to be haunted by the ghost of an old clerk. The discussion ground on until around eight o'clock, we'd covered all the ground more than once but I couldn't persuade the client to bring our talk to an end. We both paused for a moment, and in that instant there was a click and the door swung open with a most theatrical creak.

"I think that means the interview is over, don't you?"

"I felt a presence! I really did!" Suddenly the client was most anxious to leave and I finally got to go home for tea.

I got a rocket from the senior partner for winding up a client. To the best of my knowledge the door has never again swung open, or creaked, in the intervening twenty years.

Nick Gough likes this.
  17. 46236

46236 Well-Known Member

lord of the manor
    a burglar covering his tracks perhaps