If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Vanishing Carriages

Discussion in 'Heritage Rolling Stock' started by Peter Hall, Jun 15, 2015.

1. nick813

nick813 Well-Known Member Loco Owner

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Hello,
    There is a big question mark that it was GWR.

Nick

2. GWR Man.

GWR Man. Well-Known Member

Is this one you are on about. http://www.ws.vintagecarriagestrust.org/ws/WagonInfo.asp?Ref=7359 if so not very GWR looking and it has a P number as well.

3. ssk2400

ssk2400 New Member

electrical engineer
    No I do not currently volunteer
    i think i might have asked this before but i have heard rumours from many sources of a railway carriage (some say a pullman) being incorporated in to a house in the kirby in furness area of south cumbria , i believe many years ago there was an article in the local paper about it , does any one now if it ever or still does exist ?

4. Peter Hall

Peter Hall Guest

Further checking by John has unearthed a document cancelling the move of S6713S to Queenborough and re-directing to South Wales for Birds although it does not specify which yard. In addition I have received additional information confidentially which leaves me in no doubt that the carriage did survive as described.

Although not certain the probable location is in the Machen area and it may well be close to a former or existing railway. Of course it may no longer survive but if it does the lack of any sightings suggests it may well have been completely covered by a barn extension.

If anyone does have further details and wishes to contact me privately please do so.

5. Rosedale

Rosedale Member

Yes, that's the one. Thanks for that. The details there do not match the details in the most recent NYMR stock book, which describe it and its two sister vehicles (one now scrapped, the other now providing the underframe of a cattle wagon) as GW vehicles dating from the 1890s. Information sourced perhaps from a reused GWR axlebox cover?

6. Phill S

Phill S New Member

I'll add these here, think it's relevant. I think you can pretty much scrub the old MR half body at Whatstandwell. Went for a look today...poor thing.
    Has anyone got any pics of the inside of this coach before it fell apart? I want to show a mate of mine.

Attached Files:

7. fergusmacg

fergusmacg Resident of Nat Pres

Design Engineer
    Sounds a bit like the FR rail motor trailer that was part of a house in that area and this was in a the Barrow Evening Mail ? (I don't have a copy) some time ago.

Suggest you have a word with the Cumbria Rlys Assoc. chaps if you want any more info.

8. StoneRoad

StoneRoad Member

Restoration of heritage items, mainly in timber.
    That's had a mention in the railway press very recently - although it is in a very poor state, restoration (almost replication ?) could well be possible - but it would cost a lot of money ...

9. Phill S

Phill S New Member

Which magazine? Considering there's only a third of it there to begin with, and you'd need new bogies and underframe etc, I doubt very much it'll ever see rails again.

On the other hand, I reckon it'd be a great candidate for restoring what is there as a summerhouse or extension to someones house...shame I live in the crap end of Derby and don't have £10K spare to do a mint job.

10. Peter Hall

Peter Hall Guest

Class 205 "BERKSHIRE" DEMU Trailer Second 6o678

For many years this centre car from a "Berkshire" Thumper Unit http://www.cs.vintagecarriagestrust.org/se/CarriageInfo.asp?Ref=4953 was located adjacent to Latchington Road in the Essex village of Cold Norton. It is understood that the original intention was for use by an adjacent play school (now closed) but latterly it was used to store hay. Sometime between the summer of 2013 and the summer of 2016 it disappeared. Enquiries have been made locally but as yet it has not been established what has become of it. Presumably it has either been scrapped or moved elsewhere. Does anyone know for sure what has become of it?

11. 61648

61648 Member

Can't say what has happened to this vehicle but it was still there at end of May 2014 last time I went past it.

Suggest if anyone on the forum knows what happened to it, the man to ask would be Flaman as that is his part of Essex.

12. flaman

flaman Well-Known Member

Semi-retired farmer, railway & museum owner
    I'm afraid that I can't help much! The occupier of the property had failed to get planning permission to keep it there, in fact I believe that the Planning Authority had served an enforcement notice on him some time ago. I was half expecting that we might be asked if we wanted it at some point, though I doubt if it would have been much good in itself, but as a Mk1 based vehicle it may have had some value as a source of spares. Anyway, it disappeared sometime last summer, though whether it was taken away in one piece or scrapped on site I know not. I know several people in Cold Norton and will investigate further.