If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Uniforms

Discussion in 'Diesel & Electric Traction' started by Biskit, Apr 3, 2016.

1. Biskit

Biskit New Member

I wasn't really sure which forum to post this in...

I'm trying to do a bit of research into the uniforms (or unofficial dress codes) for diesel drivers throughout the BR period. Odd items of old uniform seem to crop up on Ebay from time to time but it's difficult to know what actually goes with what, and from what period. Research isn't helped by most 1950s/60s photos being black and white of course! Please add to or correct me on any of the following!

Dark green wool serge jacket (double breasted? with BR embroidered in yellow on a black patch on the lapels), trousers (high waist for braces) and waistcoat in the same fabric - worn I believe by early DMU drivers in the 50s/60s, possibly early diesel loco too - or did the loco guys still wear steam type overalls at this time? Would the waistcoat and jacket be worn together? And was there a hat to go with this... I've seen a style virtually identical to a steam era greasetop but with fabric top, and BRITISH RAILWAYS embroidered in yellow across the front rather than an enamelled badge - is this the correct combination? Was this worn with shirt and tie?

Medium-dark blue thinner wool type fabric, Of these I've seen trousers, zip-up jackets and also a pullover type top which zips top half only. I believe these were 1970s and possibly into the early 80s, but loco or unit drivers, or both by this point? What constitutes a full uniform - I assume the zip jackets were an alternative to the pullover type, rather than one worn over the other? Again would this be worn with shirt and tie - there are a lot of navy blue ties with double arrow logo embroidered in red or grey which I assume go with this uniform style? And hat-wise there seems to be a peaked cap of the same fabric (similar to a baseball cap) but I've seen some with metal double-arrow badge and some with embroidered badge - is there a significance to the different ones?

BR 'corporate collection' - I've not seen much of this as it's a bit more recent than my main interest but I assume it took over from the above blue gear in the mid 1980s until the end of BR? Again, what would constitute a full driver's uniform?

Any other info gratefully received!

Ben

2. threelinkdave

threelinkdave Well-Known Member

Retired
    Stratford-upon-Avon or in a brake KD to BH
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    The green uniform was worn by DMU and Electric crews. If you are looking for timelines the films in the BT FILM ARCHIVE are worth watching. One uniform you have not mentioned is the "ice cream coat" nickname of the long white coat worn by drivers of the Blue Pullman.

There was also a period 70 to 90 when a lot of diesel crews slumped into jeans and t shirt, uniforms reapearing from the privatised companies. Good luck in your endeavours

3. threelinkdave

threelinkdave Well-Known Member

Retired
    Stratford-upon-Avon or in a brake KD to BH
    Just looked at some early shots of first gemeration DMUsin training films and greasetops are worn

4. Biskit

Biskit New Member

Just realised there's also a large blazer type jacket for the 'blue' uniform in addition to the lightweight zip jacket and pullover types I mentioned. According to the website linked below, the driver and secondman uniforms of this era were subtly different (different fabric?) and the hats had metal double arrow badge in gold for drivers and silver for secondman. I assume the hats with embroidered badge were for non-footplate staff.

http://www.doublearrow.co.uk/manual/9_11.1969-03.gif

5. Wenlock

Wenlock Well-Known Member Friend

Bus Driver
    The hats for non-footplate staff at the time of that picture did not taper in at the top as did the footplate version, also non footplate grades all had coloured piping on the hats and cuffs denoting grade.