If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Ultimate Trainset for Sale?

Discussion in 'Miniature Railways' started by GWR4707, May 10, 2012.

1. GWR4707

GWR4707 Nat Pres stalwart

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Not sure if this is right place so feel free to move.

The ultimate train set goes under the hammer (From The Westmorland Gazette)

2. Miff

Miff Part of the furniture Friend

Thanks for the link. I remember being taken to ride on the little railway as a child. I was told the signal box & lever frame were rescued from Coniston Station when the branch closed.

3. 4468BenV

4468BenV New Member

I have so many lovely memories of this little line as I used to help out for a couple of years. It was a shame that once the Major had died that the family didn't want to keep it going. Later on the house went up for sale as well. Not sure whether it did sell though.
    A lot of the signals on the line were LNER haunting signals and the two gentlemen that ran the signalboxes were both ex BR signalmen and the line was run with proper bell codes!
    There were five locos in total. An electric that looked vaguely similar to a 47 although certainly oversized as you sit in it.
    Henrietta was a 4-6-4 with a booster to its tender but that was never used. It didn't need it as it was a powerful beast anyhow. Trenarron (I think that is right spelling) was green and resembled a Jubilee was a great loco. Very powerful indeed. Rare we ever did but if we ran the top section this and the electric was used to get up there. Coming down the steep gradient was also a nerve racking time. You had to keep applying the brakes on and off so that the wheels didn't lock up!
    Holywath was my usual steed. A little blue Pacific that could handle two loaded carriages and became my favourite. I just wish I could have made the auction but doubt I would have been able to afford the engine at the time.
    Finally there was a very small 4-4-0 called Josephine. This resembled many ornate 4-4-0s that were built in the 1800s. Not sure whether it was meant to look like an FR loco but there was some resemblance to the K2 Larger Seagull class.
    I will always remember how friendly everyone was and the Major was a gentleman. As far as I am aware the locos and much of the equipment has stayed in Cumbria.

4. ssk2400

ssk2400 New Member

electrical engineer
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    I remmber it well spent many a sunday in the signal boxes trying to get my head round the bell codes