If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

UK Railtours - End of Southern Steam - 2017 Commemoratives

Discussion in 'What's Going On' started by Where's Mazeppa?, Nov 25, 2016.

1. alastair

alastair Well-Known Member

Only P19 isnt it? Also,of course in July they will just be working up to the major platform works and closures happening in August so that won't help.

2. green five

green five Resident of Nat Pres

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Just booked on it. Can't miss this trip on the actual 50th Anniversary. Fingers crossed it's going to be a very good summer for SR ML Steam.

3. Bulleid Pacific

Bulleid Pacific Part of the furniture

A Thingy...
    I arrived on Platform 16 with 45699 last July.

4. Big Al

Big Al Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator

It all depends on train length. The UKRT train will be long and have to use P19. it's highly likely that the SD trip will have a shorter rake and so there is no reason why it could not use a different high numbered platform. Whether both trains are in Waterloo at around the same time or are close enough to each other for a photograph is another matter. However, I would be surprised if NR is completely unaware of the significance of the date so something may be possible.

andalfi1 likes this.
  5. Jason Cottage

Jason Cottage New Member

6. Steamage

Steamage Part of the furniture

I know why you say that, but on this occasion, I suspect not. Clan Line, as always, will be in show-room condition when she sets out in the morning, so the worst (best?) you can expect is a faint patina of grime by the end of the day. The other loco (which most of us hope will be 35018) might be a little grubbier, having been away from home since Thursday, but I suspect the support crew will do their best to keep the loco smart and clean - especially knowing what the "competition" at Waterloo is likely to look like!

I remember the MHR's July 1997 (?) gala where several of the locos were in something like 1967 condition - externally, if not internally. The most poignant train was the green 33 diesel hauling 76017 sans con-rods with "COND" chalked on the smokebox, a couple of trucks and a brake-van. I recall very similar trains passing my house in West Moors, heading to Ward's scrapyard in Ringwood.

banana patch and green five like this.
  7. markjkirby

markjkirby Member

something like the 5 photos below?
    mark

Attached Files:

Steamage likes this.
  8. andalfi1

andalfi1 Well-Known Member

Semi Retired.
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    I, like one or two others am booked on this, very tempted to do the Saturday trip also and make a weekend of it, if others are interested, there are plenty of Hotel bargains around in London, so it need'nt break the bank, especially as most offer free cancellation.

9. thickmike

thickmike Member

Happily Retired
    With respect, this isn't likely to happen again in 10 years, or 25 years or 50 years time - this is almost certainly the last opportunity at a major anniversary for these runs. I completely fail to see the argument that they are more special if you were alive, or on the final trains in 1967 but if you believe that, surely that makes these trips more special and desirable than less. I having been banging on over the past few years that this is the last chance saloon for steam trips - the modern railway is less and less welcoming in all sorts of ways, despite the best efforts of people like the charter team.

I'm going on as many of these as I can and to hell with whether I can afford it - I'm not going to be sitting round in 5/10 years and saying if only. Thanks to the MNLPS for keeping simply the best engine in preservation out ahead of all the rest and setting the standard.

Best wishes

Mike

10. andalfi1

Semi Retired.
    Now booked on both... and not broken the bank !

Significant Birthday present-to me- from me.

Thanks Andy :)

11. MellishR

MellishR Resident of Nat Pres Friend

I've so far booked on one of them and I'm still considering whether to add any more. There's always the possibility of something going awry on one day, with the train or with personal circumstances.

12. Big Al

It would be good if the RTC and SD for that matter could confirm exactly what the role of the diesel will be on the trips on the 8th and 9th. We know about the Yeovil to Weymouth leg but what happens for the rest of the day with Braunton? And with the promise of the 8F on the SD trip, one assumes that this will be diesel free?

13. andalfi1

Semi Retired.
    Good luck with that one Al.:rolleyes:

14. Big Al

That prospect on July 9th looks decidedly doubtful. Latest information received today from Steam Dreams, who presumably know what is happening, is that their Devon Belle trip will have 6201 not Merchant 18.

15. Bulleid Pacific

Bulleid Pacific Part of the furniture

A Thingy...
    Still, two steamers at Britain's busiest station is no small occasion.

16. green five

green five Resident of Nat Pres

Here are a couple of books by NP's very own Gricerdon http://www.national-preservation.com/members/gricerdon.20534/ which will be essential reading for the End of Southern Steam Anniversary:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Book on far left out end of June, other book out end of February.

They are now available to order on Waterstones. Will Don be signing copies on the Anniversary trip?:)

17. gricerdon

gricerdon Guest

Thanks for the plug. Yes I am on the UKR trip and will sign copies if folk wish me to. Not sure if I will be able to sell them on the day as I haven't broached this with UKR yet.

Also my booklet 'Southern Day Rail Rovers 1964' is available now self published by Amazon at £8.99 plus postage.

green five likes this.
  18. Johnb

Johnb Nat Pres stalwart

Retired, best job I've ever had
    It wasn't all like that. Clan line on one of the two the Southern Region's official end of steam and the real 34052 at Basingstoke on the very last day. The two tours were almost as controversial as the 15 Guinea 1T57 being priced up at well over twice the normal return fare and run a couple of weeks before the end when you could travel on a steam hauled service train, no wonder that they were only 25% full but they were used as a reason for the steam ban BR insisting that there was no demand.

35028 MP31 nr Brookwood 6-67.jpg

img096 34052 Basingstoke 07-07-67.jpg

andalfi1, green five and railrover like this.
  19. Henry the Green Engine

Henry the Green Engine New Member

Memory plays tricks, but 34052 at Basingstoke seems to be on July 7. On July 9, it worked the 14,20 Weymouth-Westbury freight, then light to Weymouth. It worked the 19.06 Basingstoke-Eastleigh then, on to Bournemouth, on July 7. The shadow behind it indicates later in the day, which fits with a 19.06 departure. Info in Southern Steam Surrender by John H Bird.

Re 35018. How do Steam Dreams know it won't be available by July 8/9? It is shown as one of the roster for July 26 and the first Dorset Coast Express. Some kind of dispute perhaps?

20. Johnb

Johnb Nat Pres stalwart

Retired, best job I've ever had
    You are right, memory does play tricks, the label on my slide says July 9 but the notebook entry is July 7. Thanks for pointing that out.