If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Tornado Paddington/Penzance 29/05/17

Discussion in 'What's Going On' started by alastair, Nov 11, 2016.

1. Where's Mazeppa?

Where's Mazeppa? Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    I think you might like to rethink your calculation of the Pathfinder price in terms of ppm, because you divide the price (9900 pence) by the miles (530), not the other way round. And that works out at a shade under £0.19 ppm. Still slightly below the ppm for the A1 SLT outing (£0.23 ppm including the steam leg), but clearly this would be the wrong tour for you if the only appeal would be the Western haulage leg of the overall package.

So you might know what the best option is, but its probably best to fuel the knowledge of your own preferences and what makes "financial sense" with at least some kind of realistic view of the price that you would be paying for the privilege.

BTW if you know anywhere, and I mean anywhere, in this kingdom of ours that is offering any kind of deal for any kind of rail-tour at a price of £0.05 ppm, I'd sure like to know!!!!

2. Jamessquared

Jamessquared Nat Pres stalwart

Surely if you are afraid of the height when you reach Mr Spamcan's level, it rather implies he is at a somewhat loftier level than you, so you need to ascend from your current base position, rather than stooping, to reach such level?

Just saying ...

Tom

Bean-counter and Spamcan81 like this.
  3. Big Al

Big Al Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator

No I do not currently volunteer
    Just taking a reality check on this trip. It clearly is one for the enthusiasts as a day on a train with what may turn out to be a short break at Penzance, which isn't exactly the destination of choice, does have its limitations, even if you factor in the Eden Project by leaving at Par. It is, nevertheless an adventurous offering. So presumably DBC has come to terms with its previous difficulty in operating steam into Cornwall?

banana patch likes this.
  4. Spamcan81

Spamcan81 Nat Pres stalwart

Training moles
    Seriously considering doing this as a) never gone beyond Par with steam and b) haven't had Western haulage for over 40 years. Perfection would have been a Deltic on the return leg but you can't have everything. :)
    A long day out but a "proper" rail tour in my book.

banana patch likes this.
  5. MellishR

MellishR Resident of Nat Pres Friend

I have no wish to take any side in any of the arguments, but I do find it somewhat intriguing that 34098 would have some interest in a ride behind a Western diesel if the price were right but has no interest whatsoever in a ride behind an A1 because it is a "northern" loco. Is that because Westerns were normal traction on that route at one time whereas A1s never were? A railtour nowadays is a significantly different experience from ordinary travel years ago in various respects, so why is it important to reproduce one of them?

banana patch likes this.
  6. Spamcan81

Training moles
    Whilst I can see the attraction of being hauled by classic motive power over the routes it used to work, it's been a long tradition with rail tours to take locos well off their normal stamping ground. How else would we have seen rebuilt MNs in Carlisle and A4s in Weymouth (other examples are available) in BR days? A "mismatch" of loco and route has never stopped me from booking.

Bulleidfan, andalfi1 and banana patch like this.
  7. Big Al

I agree completely. It's always nice to see a steam loco where it used to be but in 2016/2017, it's actually nice to see a steam loco anywhere! As for Penzance, I suggest that only a locomotive like Tornado with its gauge friendliness and its water capacity would be capable of the run in anything approaching a sensible time. It's 300 or so miles and that will need three water stops I would guess - say, Newbury, Taunton, Plymouth. Can't see the journey being done in less than about 7 hours at best, so you won't be at Penzance till well after lunch. But with the right path (and by that I mean less than 45 minutes to Reading, for example!) plus one other pick up at Newbury, there is a real possibility of a decent schedule, simply because it'll need to be good to get there! I think that DBC/A1ST will be up for sorting out something good. I wish them well.

8. 1020 Shireman

1020 Shireman Part of the furniture Friend

Relaxingly retired
    Back in 2013 we had an 806 departure off Pad and didn't get to Plymouth until 1420 with water stops at Newbury Station and Tiverton Loop. So around 1600/1630 arrival based on that I guess with a Plymouth water stop to take into account. With time in Penzance as indicated, the return won't be until 1830 or thereabouts. Wonder how quickly a Western can bring 9 back to Pad???

9. banana patch

banana patch Member

It's also a brave decision to go so far in a day and rely on a 50+year loco to get you back on time!

Nick Gough likes this.
  10. Spamcan81

Training moles
    All joking aside, the hydraulic could be the Achille's Heel of this tour but hopefully not and I don't think 1015 has disgraced itself of late.

11. 1020 Shireman

Relaxingly retired
    Odds are we'll bail at Taunton for Bristol if there's a setdown.

12. John Stewart

John Stewart Part of the furniture

Retired
    You should have been at the 1948 trials; a WC to Inverness!:)

Bulleidfan likes this.
  13. 30567

30567 Part of the furniture Friend

Sorry, off topic. With a Johnston's Press voucher you can do Leeds- Carlisle-Whitehaven-Carnforth-Leeds for £10 which I reckon is about 3.3 pence per mile. Admittedly there's a bus involved and admittedly it's a touch dark coming back from Carnforth. That's the bargain basement end of the day out market. Lovely trip on a nice day.

Where's Mazeppa? likes this.
  14. Jason Cottage

Jason Cottage New Member

In 1948 the newly formed British Railways held trials between the former railway company’s locomotives. No. 34004 Yeovil was chosen to work over the Highland main line between Perth and Inverness, with a LMS 4,000 gallon tender to provide water pick-up.

No 34004 Yeovil at Blair Atholl, Scotland, on 15 July 1948 - before the rebuild.

Attached Files:

• yt7.jpg
      yt7.jpg
      File size:
      59.8 KB
      Views:
    Bulleidfan, Spamcan81 and Steamage like this.
  15. Spamcan81

Training moles
    And what a magnificent performance that was. Driver Swann and fireman Hooker wasn't it?

Bulleidfan likes this.
  16. Big Al

Swain actually. And Bert Hooker was the man at the regulator of 35023 when we hit 102 just before Andover on that magical trip in Oct 1966. Who can say what the maximum permitted for Tornado will be by the time we get to May 2017?

Bulleidfan likes this.
  17. 1020 Shireman

Relaxingly retired
    I know it's nice to reminisce but that was 50 years ago and in very different times. Thought this was a Tornado to Penzance thread????

18. Spamcan81

Training moles
    That's it. I had doubts when I typed Swann.

Bulleidfan likes this.
  19. Steamage

Steamage Part of the furniture

What's Tornado doing after her run to Penzance? Visiting Bodmin / SDR / P&D? Returning on another charter a week (or 3) later?

Adam-Box likes this.
  20. Bulleid Pacific

Bulleid Pacific Part of the furniture

A Thingy...
    Can't be worse than the 45 minutes flat we had when RTC ran 'Royal Duchy' positioning moves to PZ before the GBs around 2009-2010. Remember having Western haulage then, too. Visited three pubs and had a half in each, including the infamous Blue Anchor Spingo Ale.