If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

TORNADO on Live webcam, while on the WSR, 300509 to 150609.

Discussion in 'Steam Traction' started by SteamHawk216, Jun 1, 2009.

1. SteamHawk216

SteamHawk216 Member

Retired, my occupation for the rest of my life.
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Hello All,

I have revisited the West Somerset Railway to be hauled by Class A1 4-6-2 60163 TORNADO and I am thankful to the locomotive's crew that I was allowed to "cab" (trainspotters term) her and get photos that that I am pleased with. An example is below.
    I had a wonderful trip to this heritage railway and as usual everyone involved was polite and helpful.

Therefore please click on my link below and hopefully enjoy my results \:D/ .

Best regards SteamHawk216 :smt006.

2. richard_3672

richard_3672 Member

student
    I notice on a few occasions where I clicked on the webcam at Bishops (pure interest then by luck Tornado was either due or was in), the runround was delayed a fair bit and the train was either 10/15 or even as late as "I-could-be-helping-in-the-garden-rather-then-watching-a-webcam" so turned off.

Anything wrong? 8-[

3. Nothing wrong as far as I know. There is a working timetable in force which gives longer turnround times for Tornado which is otherwise running in a DMU slot. The train times for this slot remain as published and which might account for the apparent "lateness". Also, there might be late arrivals due to delays along the line for the usual reasons.

Steve
    (WSW)

4. athelney

athelney Member

Retired warranty administrator
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Had to comment on the picture of the cab -- so this is modern steam! -- poly cups instead of a tea can on the tray above the firebox --- Uk steam has gone to the dogs -ha ha
    Great to see 60163 out running -- wish we could get that level of enthusiasm on this side of the world .

cheers Richard

5. SteamHawk216

SteamHawk216 Member

Retired, my occupation for the rest of my life.
    Nothing wrong as far as I know. There is a working timetable in force which gives longer turnround times for Tornado which is otherwise running in a DMU slot. The train times for this slot remain as published and which might account for the apparent "lateness". Also, there might be late arrivals due to delays along the line for the usual reasons.

Hello richard_3672,
    As Steve(West Somerset Wizard) has quite correctly said above TORNADO is running in the DMU timetable slot and a "special" working timetable is in force. It may seem a long time for TORNADO to run around at Bishops Lydeard sometimes the reason being she is out of view of the webcam at the other end of the loop taking on water.

Best regards SteamHawk216.

6. 46118

46118 Part of the furniture

Even today, with the terrible weather, the trains on the WSR appear packed. They look like ordinary holidaymakers rather than enthusiasts as such.

7. richard_3672

richard_3672 Member

student
    Ahh, didn't know there was a water stop at BL! Thanks.

8. aldfort

aldfort Well-Known Member

Retired
    There wre plenty of enthusiast mixed in including the group who invaded the loco shed for a better photo op! [-X

9. Christopher125

Christopher125 Part of the furniture

Cheers, she looks great.

Chris

10. 46118

Interesting that the live webcam goes into black & white mode at night-time, gave the whole proceedings a "period" look last night.

Question: "How many bodies can you actually get on the footplate of Tornado at any one time"....? :-k

PS: Answer to the earlier poster, the enthusiasts were well disguised as "normals".....

11. I trust the Moderators will remove any posts referring to or showing images taken during this invasion. Certainly no pictures will appear on www.wsr.org.uk unless authorised access to the shed can be proved.

Steve
    (WSW)

12. 46118

The first train of Sunday into Minehead looked very well patronised.

WSW, do some of the caravan and chalet parks back along the line have special ticketing incentives for people to use the WSR as first choice to get into Minehead?
    Do Butlins also have some deal?

13. No and no. My (unofficial) understanding is the Railway and local tourist facilities/attractions help each other by sharing publicity material but as far as I know there are no special ticketing incentives as such. There are currently no special deals with Butlins, to my knowledge.

Steve
    (WSW)

14. Muzza

Muzza New Member

It's fun to watch the excitement build on the platform as Tornado is due to arrive.

That loco is a people magnet. (Myself included - I leave for the UK on Tuesday & Tornado is a 'must see')

15. tfftfftff86

tfftfftff86 Member

In response to SaltyDog earlier. Don't knock it if people are interested enough in 60163 to watch a webcam. The WSR and other private lines in the queue must be blessing their luck at being able to hire a loco that has had such vast publicity. Pity those with no connection to a Network Rail line though, as A1SLT have said that they're not going to risk sending Tornado anywhere by low loader.

Now imagine the media and public frenzy if they ever let Tornado achieve 100 mph.

16. saltydog

saltydog Part of the furniture

Retired
    As I said in my second post after being taken to task about my first.......it was all tongue in cheek.
    I have seen 60163 in the flesh twice and I'm also looking forward to her coming to Tyseley for our open weekend at the end of the month.
    Note to the mods is there any chance of finding a tongue in cheek smilie please!!!!!

17. richards

richards Part of the furniture

"Tongue in cheek" smiley - how's about this little blighter: ;-)

It's in the "View more smilies" list, but you can add it quickly by typing in ;-)

Richard

18. JessyG83

JessyG83 New Member

Only found out about this the other day and think it is fantastic. My 4 year old son is hooked on the webcams.
    He adores Tornado so is loving seeing it. I think more heritage railways should have the webcams. Looking forward to watching the mixed traffic event this weekend.
    regards

19. Glad to hear it! BTW the company who installed the Minehead webcam would welcome enquiries from other heritage railways :)

Steve
    (WSW)