If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

To Charity or Not to Charity

Discussion in 'Miniature Railways' started by SpudUk, Apr 1, 2016.

1. SpudUk

SpudUk Well-Known Member

Project Manager
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Hello Folks,

I'm working to potentially develop a miniature railway locally and I wondered what advice people had on how best to set-up the group going forward. I've worked in the charity sector before, and have supported a number of groups to develop their constitutions etc., but I'm not sure if that is the right direction of travel for a miniature railway group? What have other people's experiences been in establishing lines?

2. marshall5

marshall5 Well-Known Member

I suggest contacting an already established line in your area. They will already have a constitution, risk assessment, SMS document etc. - no point in re-inventing the wheel. What gauge are you considering? Club/Limited company? Charitable status? If you are going for the 'live steam club' type of operation then consider joining the Northern or Southern Federation as you will get favourable boiler and other insurance.
    As you can see from my avatar I'm an active member of the Manx Steam and Model Engineering Club which operate a 1km passenger carrying line (The Orchid Line) in the Curraghs Wildlife Park. We are a limited company, members of the Norther Fed. and a registered charity. The land is leased from The Park (IoM Gov.). We opened in 1992, have about 60+ members of which <20 are 'active', run on Suns & BH's (plus Thurs in School hols) mid March to end Oct. plus special events e.g. Santa trains. IIRC we had about 12,500 riders last year at a pound a ride. Hope this helps.
    Ray.

3. SpudUk

SpudUk Well-Known Member

Project Manager
    Hi Ray,

This is my primary uncertainty at the moment. We're not going to be a model engineering club, more likely something similar to the Strawberry Line at the Avon Valley Country Park, or even at at extreme Moors Valley. Both of these from what I can ascertain are limited companies, but I'm not sure if I am comfortable with that route.

4. marshall5

marshall5 Well-Known Member

The two aren't mutually exclusive - we're a limited company (for legal protection) and a charity.
    Ray.
    I forgot to mention earlier. The online HSE document HSG216 "Passenger-carrying miniature railways", although getting dated, gives some useful information on building and operating a line.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2016
  5. SpudUk

SpudUk Well-Known Member

Project Manager
    Ah that was really useful, thank you!