If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Threat to Railway Museum in Poland - HELP NEEDED

Discussion in 'International Heritage Railways/Tramways' started by Neohagrid, Feb 25, 2009.

1. Neohagrid

Neohagrid New Member

The railway museum in Koscierzyna closed in January. The security staff are due to be stood down this Saturday.

The museum is home to the legendary Pu39-3 a 4-8-2 express passenger locomotive built in 1931 and many other priceless exhibits.

Unless PKP are 'encouraged' to maintain security cover until the museum is taken over by the Koscierzyna Town Council, the museum will be ransacked by vandals.

PLEASE HELP!

See: http://polishrail.wordpress.com/2009/02/24/koscierzyna-closure/

2. nanstallon

nanstallon Part of the furniture

Retired
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Worrying news. Just like Vivarais Railkway disaster shows, preservation is not necessarily secure. Lets hope that enough people fax their support to make the authorities protect these exhibits. Mentioning tourist potential may help?

John

3. Ray Mason

Ray Mason Member

This was/is an excellent museum which could be visited on the reg Gdynia staem train in high summer............I visited twice + planned another trip soon--hey ho!!

I saw lots of school parties + the entrance fee was v low.

Posting this from Colombo where steam is almost non-existent with v little interest from locals(or political support) but where they HAVE agreed to steam the 2'6" Sentinel railcar over 20Metres of track--Monday if you are around!!

Poland may be on a slow decline. Warsaw Museum is the major challenge. Few Poles are committed to it or have money to spend. Some say steam is a reminder of "former times" ie communist times although this is contentious.However, visiting Chabowka is good and Wolst keeps going + NEEDS YOUR DOSH!!

4. ADB968008

ADB968008 Guest

Steam is still running to Kosierzyna this year ?
    I assume the musuem is still going to be here, it's just who owns the musuem ?