If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Thefts and Vandalism

Discussion in 'Heritage Railways & Centres in the UK' started by rough-shunter, Dec 26, 2006.

do we think these are linked

1. Louth

Louth New Member

I have just heard that all three major magazines( HR SR & RM ) serving railway enthusiasts will start a THIEF WATCH column as a result of the Heritage Railway Association's efforts.

2. admin

admin Founder Administrator

Founder National Preservation
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    and this wil be ours.

3. Louth

Louth New Member

Here is the copy from the HRA meeting held Sat 3rd Feb, please note there is a reference to nat pres in there.

Thefts of signs and memorabilia from railway preservation sites could be part of a “highly secretive” but intense international trade in stolen railwayana which extends through Eastern Europe, Russia and into China, the annual meeting of Britain’s preserved railways has been told. Meanwhile Keighley police say the publicity given to the CCTV footage of thieves stealing signs from Damems station on the KWVR is generating useful information.
    Delegates at the meeting in Taunton suggested that the KWVR and other railways recently targeted by the thieves were victims of a “steal to order” system where people had been seen photographing signs, clocks, fittings and relics (while ignoring other aspects of the railway), which had then been taken by thieves two or three weeks later.
    To try to make stolen items unsaleable and therefore worthless to thieves, three of Britain’s railway publications are to start a THIEF WATCH column linked to the HRA’s website, which in turn it’s hoped will then be linked to all heritage railways’ websites. The editors of the Railway Magazine, Steam Railway and Heritage Railway have also said they will support this initiative.
    In addition, the HRA is to approach the Home Office to ensure the UK’s police forces understand the nature of these thefts and the danger they pose to the future of the lines. The Department of Culture, Media and Sport is to be advised that the thefts represent a major threat to the country’s railway heritage – as well as the dispiriting effect such thefts have on volunteers who work hard to conserve the nation’s railway history. With more track miles than London Underground, a thousand employees, more than 20,000 volunteers and a turnover in excess of £40 millions a year, Britain’s heritage railways are a major economic and cultural force in many parts of the Britain, Ireland and the Isle of Man.
    The HRA is also looking at a suggestion that a substantial reward should be offered for information which leads to the conviction of those responsible for the thefts.
    Research through the National Preservation Forum’s websites shows the thefts from this railway to be but one of many of anything to do with railways and steam machinery. However Keighley police say the public is responding to their appeals for information and that this is proving helpful with their enquiries. It is understood they are in touch with police in other areas, who are looking into railway-related crime including break-ins at the home of the late Fred Dibnah at Bolton, plundered for steam memorabilia; the theft of one of the nameplates from the Austerity 2-10-0 Dame Vera Lynn while under repair at Bury; loss of valuable fittings and equipment from the Yorkshire Dales Railway where even a station dog bowl was stolen; from Jurassic , the only steam engine of the Lincolnshire Coast Light Railway the theft of brass safety valve covers and fittings -- and proof that nothing is “sacred” to the thieves, evidenced when the Furness Railway’s “Coppernob” dating back to 1846, had one of its nameplates stolen from within the National Railway Museum.
    The Heritage Railway Association has issued an urgent warning to its members to review security in the light of this spate of thefts. It is also to hold a Theft and Vandalism seminar and is likely to consider the matter further at its next meeting in March, in Crewe.
    Detectives who arranged for CCTV footage of thieves striking at the KWVLR are keen to hear from anyone who recognises the men in the images or who saw anything suspicious at any of the stations around the times the thefts have occurred. They would also like to hear from anyone who has been offered the signs for sale. Anyone with information is asked to contact Detective Constable Jackie Doherty at Keighley CID on 01535 617059 or 0845 606060 or Crimestoppers anonymously and in confidence on 0800 555 111. Please help: and review the security of any relics or transport memorabilia in your care.
    For full West Yorkshire Police press release of KWVR thefts go the KWVR website at http://www.kwvr.co.uk.
    The seriousness of the thefts and the threats they pose to the ability of railways to continue to preserve our railway heritage has been reflected in extensive media coverage prompted by the CCTV footage from Damems. The KWVR’s website gives links to the Yorkshire Post’s report . to that of Clive White, the (Bradford) Telegraph and Argus’ Keighley reporter and the Yorkshire Evening Press, which is published in the city which houses the National Railway Museum – York. The distress caused to Fred Dibnah’s widow, Sheila by the thefts, caused outrage in his home town of Bolton, as the Bolton Evening News reported and that too can be accessed through the site.
    I f you have responsibility for any railway relics, whether as part of a collection open to the public or a private one, then you are advised to carefully review safety, security, alarm systems and use invisible markers etc. The HRA meeting was told that all police forces have crime prevention officers who will visit sites and homes and offer free impartial advice on improving security. If you know anything about the thefts, see anything on sale or where it shouldn’t be, then please contact the police – don’t assume the that someone else has done so. The online auctioneers eBay are fully supporting the HRA’s initiative and advised delegates that when reporting a theft, they should check that the officer will notify them so that the items can be immediately banned from sale on eBay.

I hope this helps, and please post on this thread if you know of any thefts or vandalism, or if there are any convictions!!!!

4. the nrm has had more items stolen
    a replica name plate from rocket

5. NDTSDN

NDTSDN Part of the furniture

I am sure if the real enthusiasts remain vigilant and are aware of the stolen goods, the sods who have stolen these items will eventually get caught.

These thieves are sure to brag at sometime about what they have 'acquired' and this would be the dead giveaway. Surely they wont want to keep the items hidden - they would display their 'trophies' for others to see. Even if they live a sad lonely life, they must have at least one 'mate' whom they wish to see the item(s).

6. 34007

34007 Part of the furniture

Has anyone seen or heard about the damage done to the Cutty Sark in SE London! Appalling and they reckon it was Arson as well!!

7. Fred Kerr

Fred Kerr Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Freelance photo - journalist
    Whilst accepting the cost incurred by thefts of specific artefacts I feel some effort should also be made to take action against vandalism; this is normally dismissed as simply a "Social fact of life" but the continued reports suggest that such damage is costly and drains more money from limited bank accounts than a "good old smash & grab".

Perhaps its time to shout out just how much this costs and point out that if "society" is to blame then its about time "society" made the appropriate retribution to compensate those whose voluntary labour has been disrespected !

8. Bramleyman1

Bramleyman1 New Member

I wish.
    I agree they should be made to compensate and in cash at that. It's no good giving them Community Service, because this can never repay/replace/repair the damage done and as some lines already know, at thousands of pounds.

9. a few years ago me and my best mate where vilontly assaulted the lad who did i got comunity service cleaning a wall nd also a fine that was payable as compensation he didnt do the commmunity service and has only paid 50p in his fine so something needs looking at

10. RalphW

RalphW Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Administrator Friend

Retired-ish, Part time rail tour steward.
    No I do not currently volunteer
    That sort of thing goes on all the time, the law abiding types get hammered because they roll over and pay up, the criminals stick two fingers up and get away with it. :smt013

11. beetlejuice

beetlejuice Well-Known Member

Student with 2 part time jobs, Windsurfing coach a
    Sometimes you have to wonder wether or not to join them or keep abbidding the law.

12. yes i had to go to court and stuff it wasnt nice but the lad will be stuck with a poor job and things as he now has a criminal record and has commited other offences too like robbery and battery

13. RalphW

A few years ago my business did some work for this guy who was in business himself, and he ended up owing me about £500. Ignored my invoices and phone calls. Took him to the small claims court, he didn't even bother to turn up to defend himself. CCJ against him and he eventually says he will pay me at £10 a month....... 1st cheque arrives and bounces, then no more, baliffs called in, rented house where he lived was his girlfriends and all the contents hers as well... So nothing to sieze so I get nothing. He still has his business with no assetts so he says. Courts can do nothing...
    Mind you he has had several mysterious punctures in his van.. :evil:

14. Bramleyman1

Bramleyman1 New Member

I wish.
    Please don't get me wrong, but what goes around, comes around. He will get his come-uppance in time.

15. hes got a good solicitor anyet sill gets away with murder

16. jonwright87

jonwright87 Member

Student (Civil Engineering) P-Way Engineer on Lond
    Theft from 50040

17. cct man

cct man Part of the furniture

CONSTRUCTION
    Re: Thefts from Embsay and KWVR (can you help?)

These lowlife,s should be made to clean it off wearing chains plus namwd and shamed.

I wonder id they would do it again if they were?

Chris

18. RalphW

Re: Thefts from Embsay and KWVR (can you help?)

I suppose one idea would be that if you get reproductions, made then make sure they are stamped on the back either simply 'This is a reproduction' or 'Stolen from ******'. :-k