If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

The Steam Ban around York

Discussion in 'What's Going On' started by james miller, Aug 8, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. james miller

james miller New Member

Hi all,

I've come here as we are booked on the Waverley line for 17th August and have just learned of the steam ban from York to Hellifield

The journey is a 70th birthday present for my Dad and he is not impressed having to use a diesel for nearly half the journey :/

Is there a place i can get up to the minute information on the ban?

I have rung Network Rail who didn't have anything on hand

The touring company have the info but i'd like to be able to find out directly for myself

Thanks if anyone can help

James

2. Desert Songster

Desert Songster New Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Recent information on the WCRC /Scarborough Spa Express webpage indicates that the York area steam ban may apply for the rest of the summer, though I suppose it is possible this may change if Yorkshire is deluged for the next couple of weeks.

This coming Sunday (10th August) the train is diesel throughout from York to Carlisle, then steam (48151 likely/45699 maybe) from Carlisle to Hellifield with a diesel attached, and then diesel alone Hellifield - York. The reason for the outward being all diesel this week is that it coincides with the times of an FBU strike.

As far as I know the FBU haven't (yet?) announced strikes beyond 16th August, but I suppose still have time to do so. The best you can hope for on the 17th (at the moment at least) would seem to be steam + diesel Hellifield - Carlisle - Hellifield.

Sorry not to be more positive.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2014
  3. Steamage

Steamage Part of the furniture

As far as I remember, Sun 17th is the last day of the current FBU action. We've been discussing the likely impact on the next Shakespeare Express, Torbay Express and Weymouth Seaside Express trains, too, which are not affected by the York area NR restrictions.

4. mrKnowwun

mrKnowwun Part of the furniture

Retired
    Only the touring company will know what they are running.

They won't tell you you are not a train operating company.

Why? the up to date information will be from the touring company

5. 5098

5098 Well-Known Member

The last day of the current series of strikes is the 16th: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-28588333

6. james miller

james miller New Member

Thanks for the replies which were helpful

Yes they know what they are running. At the minute they are running diesel to Hellifield on the 17th

It's not public knowledge then?

Because i want to find out for myself. I would like to get more information than the touring company may necessarily provide. Finding the source of the information could be useful

Edit: just thought i would add to this last section. I want to know the company is telling me the facts ie if they say the ban could be lifted at any moment i would like to corroborate that with other independent sources

The information mentioned above suggests the ban could last the rest of the season so now i have two things to work on. If it seems the ban will last the rest of the year we can ready ourselves for either taking a part diesel ride or postpone, or ask for a refund

tbh a broader understanding is what i am / was after. Never have i heard of this happening. When i mentioned it to my Mum she said it used to happen fairly regularly in't old days - fires that is. I guess they don't want to risk it now

:)

7. mike1522

mike1522 Long Time Member Friend

Someone said to me that it would be a big shame if 4472 got stuck in York during a York Steam ban in the future.

47406 likes this.
  8. Desert Songster

Surely the entire current membership of the FBU will have retired by the time it's actually fixed?

RayMason, Kje7812 and Neil_Scott like this.
  9. mrKnowwun

mrKnowwun Part of the furniture

Retired
    You will not, reliably, find out more information or faster than that provided to the touring company You seem to be under the impression they are lying to you. The steam ban has been on and off most of the past two or three months, due to weather and FBU action. The same thing happened last year (no FBU complication then either)
    AT times in the past various regions of Network Rail have had completely differing views on what constitutes a risk and subsequently have had different rules in force at the same time. While the FBU is acting the goat and /or the sun is shining there is the ever present risk that the motive power will change.

You also have to bear in mind that no-one can predict the mechanical foibles of preserved steam locos, they break - often.

In short, stuff can change at the last moment, (tho it takes days to warm up a loco, get the crew rostered, and get it in position) and the only people who will know what they are running and tell you is the tour company. You are wasting your time trying to find another source, its not available to you. No-one is going to guarantee you steam at any time, let alone under current circumstances.

10. james miller

james miller New Member

Thanks for that

I will now stop looking..

The company want me to take the trip and may or may not be forthcoming with all the available information

I have them as a source. I have the company above as a source

If i get any more information, i will have that too

You have filled in some of how these bans work so thanks for that

I am however still interested to know more

James

11. gricerdon

gricerdon Guest

You are right if course, sadly, despite the latest downpours and the very wet forecast. The FBU strike doesn't help but what would help would be if NR lived on the same planet as the rest of us.

Don

Drysdale likes this.
  12. 30567

30567 Part of the furniture Friend

Perhaps NR live on the planet we collectively have created --- in this case delay minutes, key performance indicators, the bonus culture and risk aversion.

13. gricerdon

gricerdon Guest

Yes of course but we created it so we can change it. We live in one of the most regulated counties in the world which I seem to remember DC was going to change. The cost is beyond belief and for what benefits?

Don

Drysdale likes this.
  14. Desert Songster

National Rail enquiries reporting 60 minutes delays at Church Fenton due to FLOODING

RayMason and Drysdale like this.
  15. hatherton hall

hatherton hall Well-Known Member

I suspect this is a precursor to the predicted "wettest day of the year" throughout the UK tomorrow with an amber warning from the met office. And even so, down south anyway, they fail to realise that there will be no fire risk and so if the FBU strike or not, we do not need a diesel to help out on the Weymouth. Elsewhere, let's hope that the restrictions on steam will be lifted with immediate effect once the storms have moved through. Surely common sense must prevail at some point. Seems in short supply just now.

2J66 likes this.
  16. Big Al

Big Al Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator

The way that NR works I suspect that the issue is not just the (lineside) fire risk but the wider fact that during the strike there will be no means of dealing with any fire that might need to be put out. This includes a locomotive issue when the fire has to be dropped quickly. There will be a risk assessor somewhere who will know that so don't hold your breath. And yes, should a HST catch fire during the strike there will be no means to extinguish that either but that's a different matter......of course!

17. Southernman99

Southernman99 Member Friend

Has anybody thought it isnt just the thought of fires. Its also the watering of tours that are more often than not a fire tanker. I can hardly see NR wanting a repeat of the black 5 incident a couple of years ago or 34046 at Folkestone earlie r this year.

18. Christopher125

Christopher125 Part of the furniture

Different levels of risk, how often do HSTs set themselves alight let alone set off a whole series of lineside fires along a route in the way that steam locos sometimes do with all the resources they require to put out?

Chris

19. mike1522

mike1522 Long Time Member Friend

It is rather nice that 5043 has that water carrier.

20. malc

malc Part of the furniture

The "fire tankers" used for watering steam Locos are actually privately owned and would not be affected by the FBU strikes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.