If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

The Saint David, 1/03/17

Discussion in 'What's Going On' started by Bulleid Pacific, Feb 20, 2017.

1. Wayne

Wayne New Member

We had a 5mph restriction.

2. eggbert

eggbert Member

IT
    My dark effort opposite Chalford viaduct, always have to video my local line, no matter what

3. Wayne

Wayne New Member

1600 gallons on arrival at Bristol East Depot.

4. Big Al

Big Al Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    That locomotive seems to sip water!

5. Groks212

Groks212 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the information Wayne.

Dave B

6. Wayne

Wayne New Member

Yes we were upset with the length of time we sat at Swindon.
    Platform staff told us we were waiting for the 1200 to Bristol, didn't tell us it was ten late!
    Otherwise I would have queried the wait. Plus a container train sitting in the middle road, which was slightly interfering with our departure, stopped me contacting them.
    Because we would have found the real reason we were stopped there for so long.
    Interference by a person who had no right to interfere in DB Cargo operations.
    There was due to be a crew change at Bristol East Depot. Vince Henderson and Matt Hunt replacing Jim and myself.
    With the late running a thought was made of changing Me and Vince over at Swindon.
    This was before we left Paddington. However this plan was shelved as we were making up time, plus the train Vince was due to catch was having engine problems (power car shut down) so was unlikely to get to Swindon in time.
    So we reverted to the original plan.
    This of course was an internal DB Cargo decision, that no one needed to know about.
    Network Rail would only have been contacted by us if there was to be a problem with our schedule that an 'out of course change' was happening.
    But a person (not on the train and not from DBC) reported, wrongly, that a change was being made and was travelling on the late running Bristol to Paddington train.
    And the person 'suggested' that 60163 be held for the crew change to take place.
    This person reported this without anyone from DBC being aware that it was being reported.
    So we (and our control) are totally unaware that Network Rail had been advised of the possible crew change.
    So we are not in contact with them regarding it, because we're working to the plan they are expecting us to do.
    They, on the other hand, are waiting confirmation of the change.
    Net result 35 wasted minutes at Swindon because some one interfered when they had no right to do so.
    Network Rail thought they were receiving correct information and had 'at the time' no reason to doubt the source of the information.
    DB Cargo and Network rail have had an in depth discussion regarding the problem and a line has been drawn under it, I believe.
    Please please be careful what you say on any social media sites. Some one might add 2 + 2 and make five!

alastair, sunstream, Johnb and 5 others like this.
  7. AlexGWR1994

AlexGWR1994 Member

I filmed at the first of three foot crossings at Frampton Mansell just before the tunnel.

8. Big Al

Big Al Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator

There's little to be gained by discussing further on here the facts around the delay at Swindon but anyone who cares about the interface between fact and rumour should be grateful to @Wayne for his comments.

And on a wider point, it really does bear repeating that Forums such as this one (and YouTube) are not viewed solely by enthusiasts; they are also a source of information for industry professionals in the heritage movement and the national network. That is one reason why people who really know what is going on are sometimes rather circumspect about saying anything on here. Remember that video evidence from YouTube, for example, has been used to illustrate the salient detail of locomotive operations.

So the next time a Moderator removes a post immediately, which is rare but it happens, it's worth remembering that maybe it's because the Forum is trying to protect the very activities that members of NP support in their different ways.

Johnb, Stephen Hughes and RalphW like this.
  9. 1020 Shireman

1020 Shireman Part of the furniture Friend

Relaxingly retired
    Thought I'd take up Sean's mantle and finish the journey. For a number of years the run from Reading to Paddington has hardly been exciting. This night was no exception.
    Relief Line. Decent start - 60.4 in 5m 50s. Twyford 62; Braked hard on Maidenhead approach - looked like engineering works - passed at 17.
    Max of 54 between Taplow and Burnham. Arr Slough after 25m 56s. Looking OK for the 2145 Exeter we hoped to catch.
    Decent start. Langley at 49 in 4m 20s then braked to 35. No idea why. West Drayton 45; Max 59 through Southall, 13m 29s from Slough.
    Slowed to 18 through West Ealing; Ealing Broadway 32; Acton Mainline 36; Max 43 near old Oak.
    Arr Paddington 2130, 30m 13s from Slough.
    Got packed 2145 Exeter to BTM. As always 1/3rd of carriage and probably whole train alighted at Reading.

Where's Mazeppa? and Sean Emmett like this.
  10. Sean Emmett

Sean Emmett Member

Thanks to Shireman for rounding off. Only third time in well over 100 tours I have baled early on a steam section, work reasons.

Whilst a minute or two would have been saved by 90 mph running down Dauntsey I suspect rather more could be saved by sorting that 5 mph at Bath!

Is the planned 90 mph intended for sustained running at that speed, or to allow transitory maximae at places like Christian Malford without breaking the rules?

If the latter it would make much sense as loco wouldn't have to be worked so hard uphill if allowed to run more freely downhill.

I am mightly impressed by this loco and the crews who get the best out of it. Logs to follow in due course.

Where's Mazeppa? likes this.
  11. free2grice

free2grice Part of the furniture Friend

Retired Rolls-Royce engineer
    The 'modernisation' of Bath Spa station may ease the problem .....or make it worse. <BJ>

From Network Rail:

Bath Spa station modernisation works.
    From 8 to 23 April 2017, we will be modernising Bath Spa station in preparation for the new, longer Intercity Express trains which will enter service later in 2017.
    This work includes making the platforms wider and will significantly reduce the stepping distance to and from trains. Platforms will be widened by up to 1.8m in places giving much more room for passengers on the platform.

12. mike1522

mike1522 Long Time Member Friend

Won't this give us gauging issues?

13. Dan Hamblin

Dan Hamblin Part of the furniture

Rolling Stock Engineer
    Stepping distances can have vertical as well as horizontal components, so it might be that platform heights are being raised. From memory I think the narrower section of platform 1 at the West end is lower than the wider section by the station buildings.

Regards,

Dan

14. Sean Emmett

Sean Emmett Member

OK a bit late but here's my log of the down journey.

I estimate the 5 mph slack at Bath (one mile ave 15 mph) cost at least 2 1/2 minutes compared with running through at the regulation 40 mph PSR. To put this in context you would need to run over 18 miles at 90 mph compared with 75 mph to make up the time lost. As ever its haste rather than speed. I really hope these niggling restrictions can get sorted as part of the IEP works. It would help everyone.

I reckon the climb from Chippenham up to Corsham was worth 1,200 EDHP and Tornado developed 1,350 EDHP up Filton bank, so solid rather than exceptional.

Return leg to follow.

Attached Files:

15. Sean Emmett

Sean Emmett Member

Here's the return journey. No records on Sapperton and a few slips, but overall a solid performance.

Attached Files:

16. gricerdon

gricerdon Guest

Using the average speed through Sapperton Long tunnel I reckon the minimum was 18 mph. Carefully judged by Graham Ward in very poor rail conditions. There was a also a TSR to 35 at Chalford though I am not sure the engine was eased very much for this.