If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

The Gwili Railway thread

Discussion in 'Heritage Railways & Centres in the UK' started by Matt78, Jan 28, 2012.

1. thb17

thb17 Member

National Key account manager
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    IM hoping to come this summer when I am back from uni. Olwen has been on the line for years so I think it would appropriate for the opening of the extension. Do you think you will run services down the extension from bronwydd until funding for the access road is found? I'd have thought the council or other body would consider funding the access road since its such a tourist attraction and it increases it's potential and it's in a objective one funding area. The quicker it can be opened the better probably because hopefully then funding bodies will see the potential and provide grants to finish off the station. It will become a trip down the dual carriageway putting the railway far more feasibly in the sites of Swansea and Llanelli as just a day trip.

Regards Tom

2. Bulleid Pacific

Bulleid Pacific Part of the furniture

A Thingy...
    Ok, I am now in a position to say that we have acquired a new ground-based signal box for eventual use at Llwyfan Cerrig. I won't yet reveal where it was originally from, or where we found it (and for those in the know, please keep schtum!), but the team involved are sure it will be a pleasant surprise when all is revealed in due course. Naturally, funding is required to see this project through, and details on this will also be posted in due course.

All I will say for now is a big thank-you to the team of Gwili volunteers who have given up their precious spare time to see this delicate phase of the project through to what seems to be a successful conclusion. Also a big thank-you to the team at Davies Crane Hire of Carmarthen, who managed to complete the topographically challenging crane lift efficiently and with the minimum of fuss.

3. thb17

thb17 Member

Brilliant news! Looking forward to hearing the details! All the best with it. Regards Tom

4. Matt78

Matt78 Well-Known Member

Solicitor
    For those interested Llwyfan Cerrig does have a basic signalling system which is only used for two train running (primarily Thomas events ATM). The present Llwyfan Cerrig "box" is a GWR crossing keeper's hut formerly located at Crundale near Haverfordwest. There are no plans to make the new SB an operational one, but it will be a very worthy addition to the atmosphere at Llwyfan Cerrig.

5. Matt78

Matt78 Well-Known Member

Solicitor
    Brief extension update, the hole in the trackbed that used to be where Bridge 6 has now been filled and drained in accordance with the new design- job done! Below is the detail of some of the work done from the project manager-

We installed a new culvert, filled the leat and reprofiled all the embankments last weekend. It needs a month or so to dry and then who knows, we could be laying track soon!

We have also started some ditch clearing slightly further south and are currently searching for the inlets to some cross drains through the embankment (where the bedrock shows alongside the river and the embankment has the stone retaining wall).

They are original seven inch square stone drains about ten feet below track level and the one inlet we have found so far was under two and a half feet of mud and silt! (yes it stank!) Amazingly it flowed freely once the inlet was opened up.

Only another six or seven to go in that 100 yard stretch!

regards
    Matt

6. Matt78

Matt78 Well-Known Member

Solicitor
    A couple of pictures showing the works done- before and after (c) Alan Hadwin
    The first photo is the "after" shot looking back towards Bronwydd, the head of steel at present is in the background
    The second photo is the "before" shot, with the remains of the bridge retaining wall.
    Regards
    Matt

Attached Files:

7. thb17

thb17 Member

Although dinmore manor was at the railway it was odney manor that visited and hauled trains in 1988 5years before I was born. I presume it must have been one of the first loco's on the llwyfan cerrig extension? Any body know any more?

http://www.theaylesburynews.com/images/7828 Odney Manor3.jpg

8. Matt78

Matt78 Well-Known Member

Solicitor

As is mentionned above on this thread, the Llwyfan Cerrig extension was openned in April 1987. Odney Manor visited from May 1988 to Easter 1989 following restoration. The other locos on the Gwili operational around this time were Olwen, Peckett Merlin (now at Shildon), and Rosyth No.1 an Andrew Barclay now at the Teifi Valley Railway. Pannier 7752 visited from Tyseley during Easter 1988 and the visit overlapped with that of 7828 for a short while, providing the one and only time we have ever run a GWR double header!

Around this time was when I first became involved with the railway, they were pretty good times with a Manor on every train and high hopes that we could get to Cynwyl Elfed within a year. We've probably spent the last 20 years trying to achieve that level again.....

Some pictures of Odney's visit here- happy days.

GWR & WR Locomotives - Railway Photography by Phil Trotter

Regards

Matt

9. thb17

thb17 Member

Very interesting! I feel like these good times are happening very soon if not now again with dining trains 3 steam locos and an extension in the near future. Viva la gwili lol

10. thb17

thb17 Member

I have noticed the aberaeron signal box from Fishguard on fishguard trains. Looks really good and will be an asset to llwyfan cerrig! Any news where abouts it will be going and when it will be in place? Regards tom

11. Insider

Insider New Member

thb17 - if you think you saw the Aberayron Signal Box whilst travelling on a Fishguard train either you can see round corners and over hills or you may have seen it from a train as it passed you in the Treffgarne Gorge as it went past on the road.

12. thb17

thb17 Member

Hey good one insider... Naaat! Fishguard trains is a website about the opening of the Fishguard and gwdig railway station.... Nice one

13. thb17

thb17 Member

[h=2]http://fishguardtrains.info/ - there is where I saw it.[/h]

14. Matt78

Matt78 Well-Known Member

Solicitor
    Yes there is a lot more info on the "Fishguard Trains" blog which Tom posted a link to above. It is nothing short of remarkable that the box survived, it had been assumed that the box was long gone! At Llwyfan Cerrig it will join the only other surviving building from the former Aberaeron branch (the former Felinfach ticket office. The Aberaeron branch was a late starter (opened 1911) and closed to passengers in 1951.

15. Matt78

Matt78 Well-Known Member

Solicitor
    Taff Vale Railway No.220 is now nearing the end of a comprehensive overhaul- pictures on the Gwili Vintage Carriage Group website
    Gwili Vintage Carriage Group » News

"Finishing off" jobs now consists of refitting the doors, glossing one side and varnishing both sides and ends, together with new running boards and refitting the door locks- hopefully by mid-June so that the team can then tackle the remaining jobs on GWR 216 ahead of the proposed debut of the vintage train in September.
    Regards
    Matt

16. Bulleid Pacific

Bulleid Pacific Part of the furniture

A Thingy...
    As regards the 'box, keep your eyes peeled in the railway press over the next few weeks. We were also donated a bench from Aberayron station.

17. Phil_Guard

Phil_Guard Member

Hi all -

Below is the loco roster for June 2012 - all the usual caveats apply. The information is provided in good faith, however occasionally things can change - so if you're travelling to see a specific locomotive, it is best to ring the railway in advance on 01267 238 213, to confirm that it is running.

Hope that helps!

Cheers,

Phil.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

23rd May - Haulwen
    24th May - Haulwen + Jennifer (Cream Tea Trains)
    25th May -
    26th May - Haulwen (Driver Experience - No Public Trains)
    27th May - Haulwen
    28th May -
    29th May - Jennifer
    30th May - Jennifer
    31st May - Haulwen (Cream Tea Trains)

June 2012

June 1st -
    June 2nd - Haulwen (daytime - Teddy Bear Day)
    - Haulwen (evening - Private Charter, no public trains)
    June 3rd - Haulwen
    June 4th - Haulwe
    June 5th - Haulwen
    June 6th - Haulwen
    June 7th - Haulwen (Cream Tea Trains)
    June 8th - Haulwen
    June 9th - Haulwen (daytime - Driver Experience - No Public Trains)
    - Haulwen (evening - Event Train, advanced booking only)
    June 10th - Haulwen
    June 11th -
    June 12th - Haulwen
    June 13th - Haulwen
    June 14th - Haulwen (Cream Tea Trains)
    June 15th -
    June 16th -
    June 17th - Haulwen (Sunday Lunch Train)
    June 18th -
    June 19th - Haulwen
    June 20th - Haulwen
    June 21st - Haulwen
    June 22nd -
    June 23rd - DOWT - Special Timetable & Loco Roster applies.
    June 24th - DOWT - Special Timetable & Loco Roster applies.
    June 25th -
    June 26th - Jennifer
    June 27th - Jennifer
    June 28th - Haulwen
    June 29th -
    June 30th -

---------------------------------------------------

18. thb17

thb17 Member

On the 24th will haulwen and Jennifer double head? Regards Tom

19. Matt78

Matt78 Well-Known Member

Solicitor
    Double heading at the Gwili this Thursday folks.....

20. 50044 Exeter

50044 Exeter New Member

Has track laying restarted on the railways southern push to Carmarthen North?