If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

The Gwili Railway thread

Discussion in 'Heritage Railways & Centres in the UK' started by Matt78, Jan 28, 2012.

1. Matt78

Matt78 Well-Known Member

Solicitor
    Big thanks to the Network Rail team who joined us today for a team-building session in the sunshine, painting the white line on the platform, fish plating, clearing undergrowth etc.

Regards

Matt

Attached Files:

2. Matt78

Matt78 Well-Known Member

Solicitor
    More progress....signs being erected for the open crossing (Pontyfelin)

Anti-trespass grids due to be assembled this week and the gradient boards are also taking shape.

Regards

Matt

Attached Files:

3. gwilialan

gwilialan Well-Known Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Still trying to correct this for you... For some reason my website access isn't working... enquiries with the hosting people are ongoing.

It's a bit like BR days. Remember the old slogan "We're Getting There"? Now, like then, you still have to add the "(Eventually...") bit on the end :)

nick813 likes this.
  4. Phil_Guard

Phil_Guard Member

Hi all,

Friday evening gala update: unfortunately RSH No.7849 "Moorbarrow" is unavailable for traffic tomorrow. As a result, this has meant that there are a few small changes towards the end of the day.

Revised public timetable: http://pleg.org.uk/files_ln/Gwilitt.pdf
    Revised working timetable: http://pleg.org.uk/files_ln/Gwiliwtt.pdf

NB the demonstration goods train will unfortunately not be running. All other attractions will be happening as planned.

We will still be running the intensive three-train gala timetable (using RSH No.71516 "Welsh Guardsman", cl.03 D2178 and the cl.117 DMU) - along with all the usual gala side attractions, as described earlier in this thread.

The final moves of the day (moving TVR No.28 to Bronwydd Arms, to be posed for photographs) will also still be happening as planned - see timetable above for revised times. "Welsh Guardsman" will be doing the honours, to shunt TVR No.28 - providing some unusual photo opportunities.

Hope to see some of you there tomorrow.

Thanks (and apologies),

Phil.

Attached Files:

5. daddsie

daddsie Guest

This is like a favourite soap reaching its exciting climax. When you say 'Anti-trespass grids' do you mean 'Arris Rails' although they could be called Harrs Rails, any ideas?
    An arris edge in carpentry is a sharp edge or corner which is left after planing and needs to be sanded or planed off.

6. Matt78

Matt78 Well-Known Member

Solicitor
    The soap analogy is more accurate than you might think! Yes the anti-trespass grids are also known as arris rails.

Regards

Matt

7. Matt78

Matt78 Well-Known Member

Solicitor
    And the soap opera continues....

Despite the counter attraction of the gala, wiring up of the signals on the extension took place today. Photos on Facebook show the up starter (no.8) being pulled off for the first time.

There are a total of 4 new signals on the extension, one being the fixed distant and one motor worked.

Regards

Matt

8. Matt78

Matt78 Well-Known Member

Solicitor
    Update

Gradient boards in GWR style ready for installation

Regards

Matt

Attached Files:

9. Breva

Breva Well-Known Member

Matt, how did you get the numbers/letters for them? Looks quite real....

10. Matt78

Matt78 Well-Known Member

Solicitor
    Confession - they are plastic screw on ones but from a distance....
    Will have to check with my colleague who made them

Regards

Matt

11. Matt78

Matt78 Well-Known Member

Solicitor
    Update

The public footpath crossing is now almost complete with gates, anti-trespass grids and sign posts now erected, just the signs left now.

Regards

Matt

Attached Files:

12. Duty Druid

Duty Druid Resident of Nat Pres

Nice & tidy job, that. :)

13. D1004

D1004 New Member

Fantastic job. As soon as the date is announced for the opening I am booking a hotel and heading west ...
    D1004

14. Matt78

Matt78 Well-Known Member

Solicitor
    Update

1. Anti trespass grids now installed on platform

2/3 Platform surface complete

4. A general view looking north

Regards

Matt

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 14, 2016
  15. Breva

Breva Well-Known Member

Is that the final surface for the platform?

One could envisage tarmac (not authentic) or ash/ gravel (authentic, but gets carried into carriages and damages flooring)

At Broadway, it was 2x3ft slabs under the canopy, narrowing to a single row of slabs further out, backed by gravel at the rear. This strikes me as the best combination. But I guess you won't have a building there?

Any thoughts?

16. Matt78

Matt78 Well-Known Member

Solicitor
    Yes it is the final surface (for now). The budget this time doesn't extend to tarmacking. The platform width does allow for a building, again at this point it is not envisaged.
    We have a gravel surface at our northernmost platform (Danycoed) which isn't ideal for carriages as you say.

Hopefully increased revenues will allow for some of these improvements, but deciding on our priority list post-this extension is going to be interesting. For example do we develop the site we have or do we push north....we aren't quite ready to have the debate pending the openning but almost!

Regards

Matt

17. Felix Holt

Felix Holt Guest

Can't we get EU grants to rebuild the bridge into Caerfyrddin/Carmarthen - oh, wait ....:Bawling:

18. Matt78

Matt78 Well-Known Member

Solicitor
    Putting aside the funding situation, the odds are stacked against going any further south. We would firstly need to acquire the land and obtain a Transport and Works Order, heading towards a centre of population is likely to meet with opposition.

Some of the formation would need rebuilding, most notably the bridge over the river Towy into Carmarthen (I just about remember the old bridge which was demolished in 1986). There would be an option to terminate the line before the bridge (in "old station road") where a portion of the Carmarthen and Cardigan building remains from their Carmarthen station in the 1860's.

It seems unlikely that any significant extra business would be generated by terminating short of the Network Rail station and even if we somehow did rebuild the bridge it is difficult to see the cost benefit ratio being satisfied notwithstanding a main-line connection. I think it does fall into the WIBN category whereas (as outlined above) an extension further north would do better on the cost/benefit analysis. We of course own the land and possess the LRO in this regard.

In the meantime we have to focus on getting the southern extension to Abergwili open, not long now hopefully....

Regards

Matt

19. Reading General

Reading General Part of the furniture

I'd say the terminus would be fine next to the main road roundabout, lots of passing trade and still quite close to the town centre.

20. Felix Holt

Felix Holt Guest

Of course, I was only jesting :)
    I'm hoping for Conwil in the not toooo distant future!
    I well recall hopes of Conwil in the early 80s....