If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

The Great Britain X - 29/04/17 to 07/05/17

Discussion in 'What's Going On' started by steamvideosnet, Aug 5, 2016.

1. steamvideosnet

steamvideosnet Well-Known Member

2014 on the GB7 with 5029 and 34046.

James

2. acorb

acorb Part of the furniture

This was the route I did behind 46115 on a SRPS trip to Inverness a few years back. A 37 dragged us from Dundee to Perth but was left behind there. The attraction is of course the two bridges.
    Good on Rtc for persevering with this, the flagship tour for Britain. I hope they are duly rewarded.

3. D1059

D1059 Member

Doh, I'd forgotten that one. Thanks

bobsungod likes this.
  4. Big Al

Big Al Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    This really does seem to be possibly the last big tour in this kind of form, although it seems that only First Class travel is offered in 2017. After an enquiry about it I received this:

Please be advised that at this stage I can confirm that all locomotives have been requested and are in place for 2017 and the necessary route checks have taken place with Network Rail. As you will be aware operational issues can occur but as in the past we will always ensure our best efforts are made to provide the tour as near to that that has been advertised.

I presume that the 'operational' bit will be simply because the TOC probably has not yet made a firm proposal to Network Rail with requested timings etc, not to mention gauging. As the brochure states that the leg from Bristol to Cornwall will be with 6023 and 5029 (or 34046), taking what I have been told on face value, it appears that either or both of 6023 and 5029 " have been requested and are in place". It would be interesting to know from LSL and the GWS whether they are aware.

5. 6024KEI

6024KEI Member

I would like to hope that 6023 was running mainline by next May but my recollection was a pretty clear statement by GWS that they wouldn't be taking bookings until they knew it was ready to run. I guess that doesn't preclude RTC from asking and GWS from saying that in principle if its ready and they can get a support crew for the two days, they'd get into proper negotiations. I'd be rather surprised if its "in place" in any usual meaning of that phrase.

6. Kylchap

Kylchap Member

I thought about taking my wife on the GBX as we've never done it before. I did a few calculations. £5500 for the two of us for a 9 day rail trip in the UK. Almost exactly the same as it cost us for a three week holiday in New Zealand last year, including a main line steam run.

John Rowley likes this.
  7. Big Al

The first casualty of GBX seems to be 6201 that was booked for Day 1 out of KGX to York. If the information from Steam Dreams is correct then the recent failure and necessary boiler work will put her out of action until next summer. There is time to sort out a substitute but it does illustrate the tentativeness of advance information irrespective of how secure it may appear.

Harry Stanger likes this.
  8. Big Al

So as we roll towards 'T minus 12 weeks' which I think is the point at which NR should have specific proposals for GBX, a few details must now be dropping into place as the TOC makes sense of the storyline in the RTC brochure.

It's a good itinerary, in my view. Nothing outlandish so hopefully it's all workable. Let's assume that all the routes are fine, every leg will be steam hauled and there are no gauging problems, well none that are known about. That still leaves quite a few loose ends on the loco front. Taking stock it seems that:
    Day 1 has nothing yet available for KGX to York.
    Day 2 promises 70013 that has yet to appear on the ML
    Two Black 5s are promised but will both of Ian Riley's locos be available or might there be a substitute?
    Days 8 & 9 feature GWR motive power (and/or Braunton) but neither have been confirmed or yet appeared on the ML.

Nothing new there, of course, except for the important gauging issue where I presume that a specific loco must be proposed so NR can deal with it. I know that Kings have been west of Plymouth but that is an interesting proposal. We will see how that one unfolds.

9. Matt37401

Matt37401 Nat Pres stalwart

Nosy aren’t you?
    Just out of intrest has a Great Britain ever gone according to plan as regards motive power?

10. jsm8b

jsm8b Part of the furniture

Escapee from the corporate bear-pit
    As far as I can see the original one in 2007 ran with the planned locos. And GB2 seems to have run much to plan apart from 34067 replacing 6201.

11. charterboy

charterboy New Member

Or indeed are there enough punters to make it a viable runner ?

I know of a good number of previous regular participants including myself have not booked and said enough is enough after the gb9 shovathon and the gb8 farce , thus loco availability and gauging maybe irrelevant

12. Interesting line up for the SW legs with 46115 over Llanvihangel and 6023+5029 into Cornwall. One has to wonder though how feasible this is with 6023 not yet making an appearance even at WSR where she is supposed to be going to be looked at and 5029 still in bits? A King and Castle into Cornwall would certainly be good, very good. Lets hope it can be pulled out of the bag.

13. The Black Hat

The Black Hat Member

Defender of the Faith
    Any idea how the run to Oban will work? Will the two black 5s on the day top and tail or will they haul one leg tender first double headed?

14. Big Al

It probably all hinges on what West Coast decides to do at Crianlarich. It could be here that they revert to a top and tail arrangement down to Oban.

15. jsm8b

If I recall correctly, I seem to remember there are weight restrictions on the bridge at Loch Awe -- It's some years since I saw anything double head ( 61264 & 75014 ).

Scott

16. The Black Hat

The Black Hat Member

Defender of the Faith
    Yes - but you cant turn an engine anywhere near Oban can you?

Having research and seen a tour run in September 2013 the two black 5s were top and tailed. Is it likely that will be repeated. Just checking as thinking of a massive chase on this tour!

17. railrover

railrover Member

This tour still looks good in theory and when originally advertised the planned motive power appeared a good deal more realistic than in many previous years. As the running date nears it is noticeable however that whilst the website still quotes 6201/60103 for the first legs and 5029/6023 as the final two days the actual locomotive variety is likely to be somewhat different.

6201 is quoted by the owners as not back until "summer" whilst the Ian Riley webpage listing 2017 tours with Scotsman doesn't mention the GB trip at all, though this may be an oversight.

I know both 5029 and 6023 are near the end of their respective repairs, but again neither seems to have been confirmed as mainline fit yet.

I don't think RTC can be blamed for the need to change the plans, but it would be reassuring to know what the contingency plans are for these very significant elements of the tour.

18. jsm8b

If you are planning to follow the train I'd seriously recommend not booking accommodation you can't cancel, as things do change at the last minute as they did last year. Hope you enjoy it if you do.

Scott

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 7, 2017
  19. The Black Hat

The Black Hat Member

Defender of the Faith
    Looking at the tour I'm thinking that a lot of the engines should be able to make the run. In particular I'd very much like to see 62005, 45408, 44871 and 70013 all on the Scottish legs, hence the research into a mad and massive chase around Scotland.

The run to Kyle looks to be top and tailed too.

20. Steamage

Steamage Part of the furniture

If so, then that would be a first for a Great Britain. In previous years, a single loco has taken a reduced formation to Kyle, returning tender-first. The trip has been an extra-cost add-on to the main tour.