If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

The Great Britain X - 29/04/17 to 07/05/17

Discussion in 'What's Going On' started by steamvideosnet, Aug 5, 2016.

great. Thanks

1. Big Al

Big Al Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    It's nice to know, at last, what is happening on Day 1 but my, how times have changed to reflect the pathing pressures on the ECML.

2009. London to Edinburgh with steam and a 75 mph loco. No pickups. Just water and coal. Total time - 8 hours.
    2017. Ditto but with a change of loco at York that adds about two hours. Total (adjusted) time - 11½ hours.

KGX to Holme Junction, non stop, in 95 minutes. That is exactly the same timings as a charter I have been on that calls to pick up at both Potters Bar and Stevenage. I'm not saying that the path should have been an even time one to the water stop (although that would be easily possible) but it does illustrate how much slack is dropped into these schedules. It also explains that despite an early start we don't get to Edinburgh until after sunset. Plenty of time to enjoy the scenery. I just hope that the crew can keep the fire alive.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2017
  2. Steamage

Steamage Part of the furniture

Can anyone with knowledge of the Durham area suggest some good video shots between Tursdale Jn and the southern outskirts of Newcastle, please? I'm looking for something fairly side-on, to minimise the effect of the overhead wires. Also somewher that has fairly easy access from/to the A1M. From the map, Sunderland Bridge (over the R. Wear) looks promising, perhaps from the bridleway on the north side of the river. Any good? Alternatives? My previous shot is likely to be around Bradbury / Mordon, which I've done a few times before. After that it will be Beal / Cheswick for a view with Lindesfarne in the background

@guycarr360 ? @The Black Hat ? @henrywinskill ?

Thanks in advance

3. henrywinskill

henrywinskill Well-Known Member

Transgender toilet attendant
    Hi Mark I would suggest Croxdale Viaduct just north of Sunderland Bridge Footpath goes underneath to west side DSC_1977 lr.jpg Its visible for about 50 yds after viaduct finishes Good luck

Spamcan81 likes this.
  4. The Black Hat

The Black Hat Member

Defender of the Faith
    Croxdale viaduct is quite far from the A1, and like me if your looking to chase then it could mean that you have a detour for that one shot.

Some suggestions for you could be to start at Brafferton, then its northwards for Bradbury, and after that, as the train skirts into Durham, Id suggest maybe either Plawsworth just south of Chester-le-Street, or depending on traffic, Newcastle for the bridges. Then like you, its a charge up the Northumberland coast.

How far are you chasing the tour?

5. henrywinskill

Mark is a video man Brafferton is quite overgrown and Plawsworth is only good southbound

6. The Black Hat

The Black Hat Member

Defender of the Faith
    All true. Theres Ricknall Grange which is ok for north bound and the shot off the bridge for the A1, but you probably wont make Bradbury. There's Hett area or Croxdale near the bridges, but that really takes you away from the A1, unless you plan on going via the side of Durham and come back on at Chester-Le-Street.

7. Steamage

Thanks chaps. Croxdale sounds good, especially if the leaves aren't out too much yet up there (though Oxfordshire is greening rapidly - you can see the change day-to-day)

The whole way! It's my annual holiday. There's three of us traveling in 2 cars and 1 "golden" priv ticket. 10th time we've done this. Look out for a silver Skoda Fabia and a crimson Renault Scenic.

Bradbury will be my first shot of 60009. From there to Croxdale, is it worth going up the A1M 1 junction, or better to go up the A167? Looks like it's reasonable road to the west of Ferryhill. After Croxdale, I guess it's better to go south, east and north to J61 (it's not more than about 5 miles, is it?) rather than picking one's way through Durham at 5pm on a Saturday.

8. henrywinskill

Hi Mark
    A167 best route to Croxdale from South,(Durham services) I wouldnt go to jn 63 from Croxdale as loads of lights,head back towards Hett brings you out at Durham Services jn (might be j61) A1 again

9. Steamage

:) Hope to see you somewhere along the road, Henry.

10. MarkinDurham

MarkinDurham Well-Known Member

For somewhere different, if you park up at Tursdale, having turned right into the little trading estate (Tursdale Business Park) off the A688 as you head towards Spennymoor from J61 (Durham services/Bowburn) but immediately go left after coming off the A688 and follow the track round to the south of the trading estate, there's a footpath that goes over a stile, ( at 54° 42’ 55.05”N, 001° 32’ 02.97” W, according to Google Earth) , crosses the Leamside alignment then heads towards Tursdale Junction, between the Leamside and the ECML. It then drops down and bears right under the ECML, next to a beck. You can make your way along it, following the path round the field, until you're far enough away from the ECML for your needs.

11. MarkinDurham

It is indeed J61 :)

12. Steamage

Thanks Mark - up towards Broom Hill Farm? Is the lineside fairly clear along there? I'd spotted that on the map, and thought about approaching it from the minor road to the west, via the footpath through the farmyard. No 9 should be working nicely, accelerating away from the loop, though I think it's downhill there.

13. steamvideosnet

steamvideosnet Well-Known Member

Post 178 updated with day 7 from Grange to Bristol.

James

14. MarkinDurham

Yes, it's a nice walk, either way you do it. The lineside was pretty clear the last time I was along there, last year. You're right about the gradient falling for northbound trains there, but she will be getting up to line speed as quickly as possible I would think, so she should be working well, although not 'against the collar', as it were. If you go towards and past Hett from that farm, there are some nice vantage points looking into the cutting along there, but obviously that's not what you're looking for on this occasion.

Sadly I'm going to miss this - I'll be arriving at a Norwegian port about the time she's due past. Pity, as it's not a long walk for me to get to Tursdale Junction from home - just down the Leamside formation for a mile or so... :)

15. The Black Hat

The Black Hat Member

Defender of the Faith
    Edit: Will repost in the morning!

16. henrywinskill

Yes as usual see you somewhere

17. guycarr360

guycarr360 Part of the furniture

A spot I have looked at many times is in the Estate at Hilda Park, that gives you an uninterrupted view of the viaduct at Chester le Street, have never seen it done either.

Also, you can get really close to the viaduct on the North Side, East side, for a great view as it comes across the viaduct.

Again have never seen that one tried either.

A great southbound one, is just behind meadowfield industrial estate, where you will get a long view, as it heads towards you, and then curves off away, have not scouted that one fully yet.

Any questions just message me, could probably meet you if required, and maybe take a test shot in Hilda Park if you want.

Good Luck!!!

18. Big Al

Big Al Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator

I cannot help but feel a slight sense of wonder and frankly, amazement, about tomorrow morning. If things go to plan I will be standing at King's Cross next to a locomotive that I last saw in steam more years ago than I would care to remember. Once again, I will be on that same platform (4) about to head north with Flying Scotsman. Back then we went to Cambridge, Ely, Peterborough and Leicester, returning into St Pancras. This time it will be a more appropriate route but, as they say, the legend lives on.

It will be remarkable if the whole week goes to plan, but it might, and whatever happens, I feel confident that it will not be through any lack of effort. The logistics of it all, both from the on-board team but also West Coast and the various loco owners is hard to imagine. No doubt Network Rail will have a hand in it as well - good and bad - if normal practice is anything to go by. But either way, it is 2017 not 1967 and there will (should) be 9 days of continuous unassisted steam haulage in the UK.

Remarkable.

19. henrywinskill

That does look interesting Guy, cheers