If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

The Great Britain Monday 13th.

Discussion in 'What's Going On' started by RalphW, Apr 3, 2009.

1. RalphW

RalphW Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Administrator Friend

Retired-ish, Part time rail tour steward.
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    http://uksteam.info/tours/t09/t0413a.htm

2. ADB968008

ADB968008 Guest

Any ideas why the final leg from York to London is diesel hauled ?

I guess looking at the timings it would be around 10-11pm arrival in London (not too late considering).
    Was it a cost thing ? or an availability thing ?

3. ADB968008

ADB968008 Guest

Noticed 60163 is doing a light engine move from Barrow Hill to London on thursday light engine, and this tour is going diesel from York to London...
    Anyone missed a trick here ?

4. Bean-counter

Bean-counter Part of the furniture

GB II is a West Coast job and Tornado is only operated by DBS (ex EWS), presumably the reason that 60163 was dropped from today's section after originally being annoucned as the loco (assuming the loco booking was ever definite!).

5. steamingyorkshire

steamingyorkshire Well-Known Member

Lecturer
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    After deciding against going over the Shap on Thursday because of the weather, i felt the need to go capture No.9 on the return to York, also a big closer to home!

What stunning weather we had this evening, was splendid.

We turned out at Shipton as planned and very few people around to be honest, not that we can complain :)

Anyway just before No.9 came we had 2 class 67's pass us, the first being 67001, i didn't catch the rear number and what looked to be 'The Blue Pullman', i'm sure someone will be able to point us in the correct direction, i've uploaded the clip after No.9's.

I've uploaded the two videos and can be viewed via the link below.

Footage Available Here

Now time to take a rest after one very long weekend! Although more footage to come from the Moors on Wednesday :)

6. gwr4090

gwr4090 Part of the furniture

Scientist (Rtd)
    It was probably a timing thing - 11pm is too late for most passengers on this tour.

David

7. Bean-counter

Bean-counter Part of the furniture

The Class 67 hauled tour was probably the West Highlander, another multi-day land cruise but all diesel (guess where it wnt?!)

This is where it gets confusing - the stock isn't "The Blue Pullman" but Rivera's luxuary train which is called - "The Great Briton"!

So, I am afraid you saw two "Great Britons/Britains", one of which was the "Great Britain II" - I seem to remember some surprise with the first RTC "Great Britain" that this was what the headboard said as it had been advertised as "The Great Briton" - perhaps the change was to avoid confusion with the Rivera set, which I think was being used for the now defunct Hertforhshire Railtours programme around that time.

8. steamingyorkshire

steamingyorkshire Well-Known Member

Lecturer
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Thanks for clearing that one up, i had a comment made on the Youtube video regarding me calling "Briton" and i thought that was it, now i know where i got it from.

Thanks for the info.
    Simon

9. belle1

belle1 Part of the furniture Moderator

Thanks for posting the clips Simon, great to see Union of South Africa out again and doing what she was built for. :smt023

Neil.

10. Guest

Guest Part of the furniture Account Suspended

Occasional
    Well that's it - eleven days of main line steam completed for me. VSOE, PMRT, SRPS and RTC. Well over three thousand miles travelled by rail and road, and a grand tour of most of the entire British Isles achieved.

Thank goodness for the kit to do it so competently.

Overwhelmingly the impression has to be of competence by WCRC, DBS, and loco providers, in servicing the needs of tour promoters; and of a good social crack both on the lineside, and between tour participants and chasers, and of overwhelmingly good weather to boot. Of course being one of the sources of amusement for the passengers helps.

Kyle to home with the top down all the way was something I did not expect to repeat after 2007, but we did!

It appears that I have started a war between those who want one, and a reason to shake heads and wonder what people get so excited over amongst others.

One thing that is certain - run steam over a holiday weekend and its NOT fellow enthusiasts to get bothered about!

Many thanks to all the professionals and volunteers who put this all together and made it work - Here's to the next time - because wind in yer hair touring is unbeatable, with or without cinders!

11. 46236

46236 Well-Known Member

lord of the manor
  12. green five

green five Resident of Nat Pres