If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

The Exchange Sidings

Discussion in 'Links' started by tsr5619, Dec 23, 2014.

1. tsr5619

tsr5619 New Member

Hello All

I would like to intoduce a new web site that i have started called

www.theexchangesidings.com

the idea for the site is a central location for heritage railways to offer items that other heritage railways may want or require. The idea was born when i kept reading or hearing X, Y or Z had been scrapped because no one want it or this or that had been sold and I or others did not know it was for sale or available.

The site is not for profit, placing an advert is free (T&C apply) but if you use it please donate to its upkeep, any surplus will be donated to heritage railway projects.

So if you are involved in a project why not dig out any surplus items and offer them to others, it could well swell your projects bank account and/or forward someone elses project.

Paul

marsa69 likes this.
  2. flying scotsman123

flying scotsman123 Resident of Nat Pres

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Looks like a good website, much better than many others I've seen offering similar services. How are you going to spread awareness of this site through here, as although there are plenty of "laymen" from around the railways here, there aren't an awful lot of people from each railway that the knowledge of this website would be something they would be in a position to use.

On a completely different note, TSR selling a MK 1 for a carriage shed? As much as a carriage shed is something important, given that many railways larger than them still don't have one, don;t they have more important things to concentrate on? I keep meaning to have a visit at some point, it's not too far away if I'm seeing family...

3. Breva

Breva Well-Known Member

This is an excellent idea. I have always wondered why nothing like this has been started before, whereas in a country like Germany such a site has been running for years:
    http://www.vdmt.de/wp/index.php/such-und-angebotsliste-2 (Click on the 'download', then scroll)

This site is also free, and is run by the German Heritage Railways Association. There are hundreds of offers, and even parts of the DB use it to dispose of surplus stuff.
    There are countless steam & diesel locos for sale, carriages, equipment, spares, PWay material etc.

Good luck with your site. I hope it grows into something similar, there must be hundreds of sales and wants in the heritage railway industry.

4. 61624

61624 Part of the furniture

We already have the Carriage Exchange, CAR services and Traction & Rolling Stock Advertiser, so we're not exactly devoid of sites!

5. flying scotsman123

The carriage Exchange site is pretty poor though being honest, CAR services website is fine, but they want 10% on anything bought through them, and Rolling Stock Advertiser is both an awful way of displaying everything and they charge you too. I've often wondered why most rolling stock websites are pretty naff. Is it worth getting in contact with the HRA and seeing if they could promote it and let its members know of its existence? Now you've got a good website you need to focus on both awareness and keeping things up to date.

6. tsr5619

tsr5619 New Member

Thanks for the replys guys, i know there are other sites out there but always felt it was a bit here a bit there and wanted to try a more central aproach.

I also felt that direct charging was putting people of listing smaller items, or items they want to give away, so feel a donation based fee hopefully will cover the running costs and save some items that may have otherwise gone to scrap or binned.

some time ago i aproached the HRA as suggested, apart from a 'we will concider it' reply i herd nothing, so i take it they are not interested.

i hope to email as many of the railways as i can over xmas break, but please help spread the word.

Paul

7. Breva

Breva Well-Known Member

I agree, the three mentioned above are not the same thing. I need several heritage items, and will not find them on any of those sites, yet they are likely to be lying about in a yard somewhere - but where? On the other hand, I have stuff left over...., Ebay is an unsuitable channel, as you need to sell in a few days, whereas heritage items come up, and are needed, at very infrequent intervals.
    I hope this takes off, as the potential need is considerable - look at the stuff for sale in Germany!

8. marsa69

marsa69 New Member

The site is an excellent idea and should take off big time once word gets around.

As for the TSR selling a Mk1 for the purpose of funding the carriage shed then allow me to clarify that for you. The Mk1 in question is completely unsuitable for our railway with it being compartment stock. As you all know once there are occupants in a compartment it tends to put people off sitting in there, preferring to find an empty compartment for themsleves. That and the restoration costs would eat into our limited resources. So we decided to list it an duse the money to fund a carriage shed which would finally allow us to put our wooden bodied autocoach under cover. It also allows us to base future projects in the 'shed' expanding our facilities. We are now in the market for a TSO type coach which is more suited for our needs. Like this the money raised through the sale of the coach and the funds saved by not having to restore the coach allows to progress multiple projects.

I hope to start a Telford Steam Railway thread to keep forum members updated on our progress,

Cheers,

Mark

Steve B likes this.
  9. flying scotsman123

Ah fair enough, we were discussing that only the other day how people don't mind sitting next to strangers in TSOs but would sometimes rather stand than get in a compartment with other people! Surely then, funds raised selling the compartment coach will be exactly that required for a TSO? Autocoach sounds nice, is it operational?

10. marsa69

marsa69 New Member

It would be nice to buy a direct replacement but the autocoach is in dire need of being under cover :(

flying scotsman123 likes this.
  11. Ken_R

Ken_R Member

I like the idea but, am sceptical as to whether it will take off. A suggestion (or 2). Make it "Carriages & Components" and "Wagons & Components".

For Mk1's, we are looking for a number of the 'female' door locator plates that fit on the door frame, below the lock, and opposite the bottom hinge. Also a couple of copper roof tanks for an FO.

I think something like this has been needed for a long time. Not only for supplying parts, but also for identifying where parts are no longer available and permitting groups to 'bulk order' where they need to be cast or fabricated.

Paul, BTW, please correct the error on the Home Page. FROM "A Uncertain Future". It glares out like a lighthouse.:)

12. tsr5619

tsr5619 New Member

It will only take off if people use it, in your post you say you are after parts for a mk1,

why don't you email me with all your details and I will post your ad. Let's at least give it a chance/a go!

Paul

marsa69 likes this.
  13. marsa69

marsa69 New Member

I have a list Paul. Will mail you the details after Christmas,

Cheers,

Mark

14. Breva

Breva Well-Known Member

15. flying scotsman123

Another thought - it needs to appear higher up search listings. Searching "The exchange sidings" it is about 5th down, search "rolling stock for sale" and it isn't even on the first page, the others mentioned are, even if they aren't as good.

16. Ken_R

Ken_R Member

Bump!

At a time when there is little else of importance:rolleyes: ongoing, I thought I'd bring this back to the forefront.

I said at the time that I liked the idea, and still do.

I make no apology for reminding people of the facility/service.

marsa69 likes this.