If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

The Easterling 28/08/17 UKRT/A1ST 60163

Discussion in 'What's Going On' started by Paul42, Aug 18, 2017.

1. The Green Howards

The Green Howards Nat Pres stalwart

Layabout
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Okay, I'd have lost a day working on the 'vintage' bicycle... but I could have joined at Potters Bar, done the trip, returned to Potters Bar, drive to the usual hotel I stay in for when I work several days in a row (about ten minutes away) and then been ready for work at 7.30 next morning!

AAAAGGGHHHH!!!!!

Actually @Spamcan81 , you've reminded me that I need to book my ticket for the Pacifics weekend at the NVR :)

2. Sean Emmett

Sean Emmett Member

So return not going so well. Left GYM few mins late and despite smart running 10 L round Wensum curve.

Then various unexplained checks with nowt ahead? Sig failure at Ely didn't help.

More checks after Shepreth Br Jn. Watered at Royston, up services o/t on down line.

Now away exactly hour late.

3. Groks212

Groks212 Well-Known Member

Train still showing as being at Royston where it arrived 50 minutes late for its water stop, following services being routed through other platform, wonder if there is a problem?

Dave B

4. Groks212

Groks212 Well-Known Member

Thanks again for update Sean. Sent my post as yours was appearing.

Dave B

5. Spamcan81

Spamcan81 Nat Pres stalwart

Training moles
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Just got back from seeing her through Hitchin, 60 late.

6. D1002

D1002 Resident of Nat Pres

Spooner Row:

Last edited: Aug 29, 2017
    Spamcan81 and Mick45305 like this.
  7. Big Al

Big Al Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator

A good day out if only to experience Tornado with 600 tons. Some of the 0 to 20 mph spells were remarkedly sure footed and quick. The tight path home started to unravel around Ely and we never recovered. Worth the money though plus rare track.

Sean Emmett and Paul42 like this.
  8. JDTTRAINS

JDTTRAINS Member

Station Team Leader, Thameslink
    'Tornado' on "The Easterling", seen at Letchworth Garden City, Cambridge North and Baldock.

D1002, Spamcan81 and Mick45305 like this.
  9. Bulleid Pacific

Bulleid Pacific Part of the furniture

A Thingy...
    Still traveling back to York on an engineering diversion. However, agree it was a good trip, although the signal issue at Ely didn't help.

10. Matt37401

Matt37401 Nat Pres stalwart

Nosy aren’t you?
    Is that what happened? I was part of the crowd at Fen Road Level Crossing, it seemed like I was the only one checking on RTT and having to update everyone there! What did we do before smart phones?!

11. Bulleid Pacific

A Thingy...
    I seem to recall that was an explanation given on the speaker system. We were doing fine until Norwich. A second long day on the Bank Holiday weekend; suffice to say, it was 20 hours in total, as I didn't get back to the flat until 01:00. I was certainly flagging on the return journey!

12. Big Al

Just done a rough calculation of the DBHP on the climb up to Potters Bar. I reckon it was around 1490......with a locomotive straight out of the blocks at King Cross, so to speak. As it turned out the day had some pretty quick interludes notably in the Thetford, Attleborough area. And you kept having to remind yourself that this was all taking place with a British Pullman equivalent load on the drawbar of 600 tons. Only in a few places did this become apparent like the plod up to Royston on the return when the schedule was really quite impossible for the load and slippage was inevitable.

All in all, this was a great day to experience the pulling power of Tornado and the novelty of a different part of East Anglia for the loco had the same 'pulling power' effect on the Great British Public who I was told were generally well behaved this time from the point of view of proximity to the track. That said, some of these half barriers are only a marginal disincentive to prevent straying onto the infrastructure around these crossing points, of which there are many. But I was reminded that despite a not particularly intensive service in parts of East Anglia there are also 'pinch points' in the system as we discovered on the return.

Sean Emmett likes this.
  13. 1020 Shireman

1020 Shireman Part of the furniture Friend

Relaxingly retired
    This is a game for the young. Up at 0320 to set out for BTM at 0415 yesterday morning; got in at 0240 this morning. Bad enough only having the 2330 BTM to catch without it going via the B&H!! Didn't get a Savernake Summit speed...

Sean Emmett likes this.
  14. Bulleid Pacific

A Thingy...
    Indeed. I consider myself a youngster, but even I occasionally question why I do the early starts and late finishes- until I end up doing another one...

15. SteveA

SteveA Member

Retired
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Was any explanation given for the long delay getting away from Wymondham on the return journey? Seems to have lost over 20 mins there.

16. Bulleid Pacific

A Thingy...
    I think that if there was an issue with the signals at Ely, then we were probably in a queue. Running was pretty subdued after Wymondham, which may tally with this, although I understand there's a couple of miles of speed restrictions between Ely and Lakenheath in any case. Hopefully someone can clarify, though.

17. Sean Emmett

Sean Emmett Member

By the rate at which we departed SVG on the way back I assumed the diesel had been fired up....
    But of course it hadn't :)

Big Al likes this.
  18. Sean Emmett

Sean Emmett Member

Yes as Mazeppa pointed out its 45 mph for non-sprinters in both directions from just after Ely North Jn to just before Lakenheath.
    Also there were clearly additional slacks over various river bridges, most noticeably the Ouse south of Ely.

19. Big Al

The Wymondham stop was a DBC operational one but we were actually only there for 10 minutes. It is also a section of track not under the wires and therefore convenient for bringing coal forward etc as the moment you get to Ely and beyond you cannot go up on the tender. And there is also nearly 10 miles between Lakenheath and Ely North Junction with a 45 restriction for everything other than units. That explains the slow progress in each direction. Steam in East Anglia is not as straightforward as it may seem.

20. Bulleid Pacific

A Thingy...
    Thanks for confirming. Incidentally, one of my challenges for the day was to sample a pint from the recently-resurrected Lacons brewery. Despite being brewed locally, I was disappointed to eventually find (with assistance) only one pub selling it. The other challenge was to trace the surviving sections of town wall. It seems the town doesn't really know what to make of them.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2017