If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

The Cotton Mill Express 31/1/09

Discussion in 'What's Going On' started by cossie matt, Jan 29, 2009.

1. malc

malc Part of the furniture

Didn't 45407 go to Liverpool just before Christmas? :-k

2. Victor

Victor Nat Pres stalwart Friend

Retired
    I think.... I don't know.... but I think the tender bit was some sound recording equipment The support lads moved it from the other side of the tender during the stop at Brighouse.

3. cossie matt

cossie matt Member

Reservoir keeper for United Utilities
    I like an "out of the window" shot my self, but its easy to do with just a hand, whole body out is madness, not good for the safety case. Especially when you consider that camera tech is such you could put a tiny unobtrusive camera / mic any where on the loco, within gauge, without risking death !

4. david1984

david1984 Resident of Nat Pres

The thing on the tender looks like an external microphone to me, i must admit last night when i saw the pic i did wonder about him hanging out that far, it wasn't that long ago Network Rail through the toys out the pram about diesel bashers having half their bodies out the window, plus on the left hand side in particular there's a greater risk of a foliage bash.

5. belle1

belle1 Part of the furniture Moderator

I forgot about my stills from yesterday with all the frustartion of trying to upload my clip of 45407 and Tornado to Youtube. Heres one anyway at Diggle.
    [​IMG]

Neil.

6. cossie matt

cossie matt Member

Reservoir keeper for United Utilities
  7. jinty182

jinty182 New Member

Student at Thornleigh Salesian College
    Congrats to everyone for a cracking run!
    We were early for most of the trip (10 - 20 mins), I heard too much steam was to blame :p
    We also managed to make 2 minutes between Blackburn and Darwen.
    I went armed with a camera with the hope of getting some nice footplate photos/videos but it died on the way to Man Vic so sadly all i have to offer is the photo below. Sorry for the low standard of photography, I was too bleary eyed.
    Silly o' clock in the morning just after collecting the stock at Castleton. Taken from the support coach with the 57 on the business end at this point.

[​IMG]

8. Linesider

Linesider Well-Known Member

I must agree with you Frank - head and shoulder is the most that should be risked. Plus, I feel that holding the camera to the carriage makes the image far more stable, rather than holding it out in mid-air at 30 mph or whatever. To my mind, if you want to see more of the loco from onboard, go for 3/4 carriages back - and you normally get good/reasonable sound too. Just not worth it.

9. GWR4707

GWR4707 Nat Pres stalwart

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Does seem a little risky to me, but at least no one appears to have been hurt which is a positive and hopefully NR will not have an issue or not be aware. How does this compare with tresspass, I would assume that it is considered to be less of an issue as seems to have attracted much less ire than the trespass on the 60163 thread.

10. Stepney32655

Stepney32655 New Member Account Suspended

Grave-digger
    One "Smilie" that is NOT provided by our honourable hosts, but, nevertheless, which does admirably sum up what everyone else feels concerning that totally selfish IDIOT >>>>> (_!_)

(Perhaps a prime illustration of precisely why such people have become universally branded as "VIDIOTS" by the more-established 'linesiders', it doesn't take much imagination - even for such people - to work out the message intimated and I can now but hope that the pi**ock concerned actually does see it!)

11. IKB

IKB Member

Looking at the pic again it's obvious he's a professional.
    Wouldn't have thought many amatuers could afford that sort of kit.

However!
    He may be a professional as far as video goes,
    but he's obviusly lacking in 'something' as far as rail travel goes.

As has previously been stated, the fact that he is in the support coach
    means he must have been there with permission of either the tour operator or loco crew.

Perhaps someone from either of these groups could have a quiet word,
    & make him aware of the dangers of his behaviour.

12. Guest

Guest Guest

I am glad that, last weekend having forsaken the Cotton Mills for the first time ever, in order to savour the numerous alternative attractions on offer at the GCR, including '48773' hauling '1Z74' (the 4th Aug 1968 re-enactment) and, almost certainly for the first time since 1967, seeing a Q6 hauling precisely the sort of train that it was built to haul (a complete coal train), I very fortuitously missed all of this.

Had I not done so, I think it would have required considerable restraint by others to have prevented me from immediately getting into my car and driving over to Blackburn Station to seek out that BA***RD - "professional", or not - and to have punched him right in the face!

Selfish, selfish pratt!!!

13. 5596

5596 Member Account Suspended

Don't lower yourself to his standards - it demeans us all.

14. Dan Hamblin

Dan Hamblin Part of the furniture

Rolling Stock Engineer
    I'm a bit confused here - have the previous few posters been annoyed because he did (or would have) spoiled their photographs or are they annoyed because his actions may harm main line steam in the future.

If it is the former case then, I'm sorry, but if you didn't contribute to the running of this tour then you have no right of complaint.

If it is the latter, then I am in agreement. But I think the language used by certain posters is unnacceptable.

Regards,

Dan

15. Guest

Guest Guest

Yes, Frank, but, whether the correct thing to do or not (and, I agree, probably not), do think of the intense pleasure that such a gesture would have brought to so many people out at Copy Pit on Saturday .... all of whom, whether on the train or not, will, each and every single one, almost certainly have contributed far more to the preservation cause than that "professional" has - or ever will do - and, as with the helicopter vidiots of old, damage well and truly done, will probably now return to the hole that he crawled out of in the first place .... to be replaced in due course by yet another idiot!
    I'm sorry, the likes of Dan Hamblin might puff and blow, but here up North we tend to say things exactly as they are!

16. richard_3672

richard_3672 Member

student
    To throw, and I use the phrase because it's been used on the forum a fair few times, a spanner in the works:

Do you care more about the loco or the coach? Yes there is a leaner out the window. But he's filming for a potential DVD which you may buy, and (as stated) adds to the preservation scheme.......

17. Guest

Guest Guest

How did you know for certain that this person was filming for a potential DVD? Was it, perchance, yourself .... or one of your cronies?

Indeed, can you actually now share with us all the identity of the outfit concerned? If this guys valiant life-threatening efforts are likely to add significantly "to the preservation scheme" - whichever one that might be - then, surely, we must all need to know precisely which DVD it is that we should all then rush out to purchase!

However much controversy the following is likely to cause, conversely, it has also to be observed that "professional" DVD makers are in it for the money (to line their own pockets) as much as for any other reason! Obviously, this guy's pictures were not being ruined by the 'linesiders' (who were nowhere near as prominent in his viewfinder), but, even though it had been his turn to purchase a ticket on that particular day, he clearly cared little for anyone else!

Finally, I have some difficulty in understanding precisely as to what you were alluding in particular when you enquired whether I cared more about the loco or about the coach. Perhaps you might care to re-phrase your thoughts in order to assist me ... and probably a few others as well?

18. IKB

IKB Member

[/quote]However much controversy the following is likely to cause, conversely, it has also to be observed that "professional" DVD makers are in it for the money (to line their own pockets) as much as for any other reason! Obviously, this guy's pictures were not being ruined by the 'linesiders' (who were nowhere near as prominent in his viewfinder), but, even though it had been his turn to purchase a ticket on that particular day, he clearly cared little for anyone else! Finally, I have some difficulty in understanding precisely as to what you were alluding in particular when you enquired whether I cared more about the loco or about the coach. Perhaps you might care to re-phrase your thoughts in order to assist me ... and probably a few others as well?[/quote]

As he was in the support coach, he may have been there by arrangment with the loco owner/tour operator, hence may not have even bought a ticket!

Again you have seem to have lost track of the fact that, as a linesider, not having contributed to the trip, you do not have much ground to complain. If you had been on the train, in a carriage further back, trying to get a shot of the loco when this guy was hanging out of the window, you might have grounds to complain.

19. Guest

Guest Guest

However much controversy the following is likely to cause, conversely, it has also to be observed that "professional" DVD makers are in it for the money (to line their own pockets) as much as for any other reason! Obviously, this guy's pictures were not being ruined by the 'linesiders' (who were nowhere near as prominent in his viewfinder), but, even though it had been his turn to purchase a ticket on that particular day, he clearly cared little for anyone else! Finally, I have some difficulty in understanding precisely as to what you were alluding in particular when you enquired whether I cared more about the loco or about the coach. Perhaps you might care to re-phrase your thoughts in order to assist me ... and probably a few others as well?[/quote]

As he was in the support coach, he may have been there by arrangment with the loco owner/tour operator, hence may not have even bought a ticket!

Again you have seem to have lost track of the fact that, as a linesider, not having contributed to the trip, you do not have much ground to complain. If you had been on the train, in a carriage further back, trying to get a shot of the loco when this guy was hanging out of the window, you might have grounds to complain.[/quote]

Just for the record, I didn't even see the Cotton Mills that day, let alone have been in a position to purchase a seat in the main body of the train and where my own video would also have been ruined every bit as much as it was for the linesiders.
    Might I just remind you of what you said previously ..... "He may be a professional as far as video goes, but he's obvi(o)usly lacking in 'something' as far as rail travel goes. As has previously been stated, the fact that he is in the support coach means he must have been there with permission of either the tour operator or loco crew. Perhaps someone from either of these groups could have a quiet word, & make him aware of the dangers of his behaviour".
    I rest my case!

20. 5596

5596 Member Account Suspended

Fine - then let's know the name of the Video producer.

If they conduct themselves in this way - (which must also have been far, far, in breach of the TOC and Loco supplier's safety case for their equipment), then they deserve to have their products boycotted as a bunch of cowboys - and cowboys who contribute absolutely nothing to any railway activity that I want to be associated with.