If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

THE BRISTOLIAN 28/03/2009

Discussion in 'What's Going On' started by leander, Mar 27, 2009.

1. david1984

david1984 Resident of Nat Pres

Totally inauthentic, the wheelbarrow doesn't have a headboard bracket for a start :D

2. saltydog

saltydog Part of the furniture

Retired
    But it was a green wheelbarrow so the livery is authentic. \:D/

3. RalphW

RalphW Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Administrator Friend

Retired-ish, Part time rail tour steward.
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    It would tend to bounce a bit probably only landing every 20th sleeper.

4. baldric

baldric Member

I assume it is a vacuum fitted barrow otherwise it would not be allowed out.

5. Steamage

Steamage Part of the furniture

Doesn't need a headboard bracket if it's being towed. All it needs is a tail-light. :smt003
    Glad to know they got home safely. What's the next trip? York on 25th April?

6. dhic001

dhic001 Member

It might have been borrowed from Nunney Castle, in which case it will be Air and Vacuum fitted and will have large amounts of pipework down the sides.
    Daniel

7. Umseke

Umseke New Member

As well as the 'Steam Loco Enginemen's hand book' there is also quite a good animated description of Walschaert's valve gear at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walschaerts_valve_gear. Labelled diagram at end is useful, though not quite of the GW camp !

8. Kerosene Castle

Kerosene Castle Well-Known Member

Not to mention a shovel plate and raised floor at the back.

9. Pannier Man

Pannier Man Member

Network Rail - Retired
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    The wheel barrow was so full of tools it took three of us to carry it up the subway stairs, so I hope they didn't tow it... There'll be a trail of tools all the way from Didcot to Tysley!

10. Bob Meanley

Bob Meanley New Member

Sorry to spoil the thread chaps, but the barrow is actually unfitted, and is not through piped. It is also narrow gauge, so it went back home buried in a hole at the back of the coal space. Its contents were sent home by road earlier but at least they provided a bit of Saturday weight training for the GWS lads who were sufficiently gullible to offer assistance.

We are still looking into some aspects of the problem, so we would not wish to comment until we have reached a full conclusion and shared it with our operator West Coast Railway. Once we have done that we shall let you know what actually happened and why. One aspect of the day which has to be commented on is the teamwork that went on behind the scenes with Network Rail and West Coast. We managed to get Ray Churchill to turn up at Tyseley, by which time Dave Fisher had got back there from Oxford by Kami-taxi and collected the spare part and tools. They were all loaded in the back cab of 47773 and moved to Didcot in a path supplied at literally a moment's notice by Network Rail route control at Birmingham and Swindon. Once there hoards of GWS helpers descended to help or offer advice, and Roger Orchard made arrangements to open the centre specially so that the passengers had something to do until the 47 was able to take the train on to Bristol. The response from everyone at Didcot was phenomenal, with help, food, tea, and encouragement (well I think that's what they said!) freely given. I do however suspect that we didn't do much for GWS productivity on Saturday.

We managed to work through the afternoon to effect full repairs to 5043 but unfortunately the decision was made to return the train to Birmingham by diesel, although the engine was fit, and it was Monday before we were able to return as the exit from Didcot shed was blocked by a possession from late Saturday to 04.00 Monday. The return journey on Monday afternoon was completed without any problems, again on a path provided at short notice by Network Rail.

Not exactly the sort of day out you would choose, but a marvellous example of everybody in the industry working together, so thanks to Network Rail route control at Birmingham and Swindon; Andy Taylor and Pat Marshall at West Coast; Roger Orchard, Pete Gransden, Carl Buckingham and everyone else at Didcot, and to all of our crew as well.

Bob

11. Steamage

Steamage Part of the furniture

Thanks Bob, your contributions are always much appreciated.

12. 60124Kenilworth

60124Kenilworth New Member

Thanks for the explanation about Saturday's events Bob,it seemed obvious to those of us on the train and observing the events at Didcot, once 47773 had arrived,that everything that could be done was being done and its' a pity that your sterling efforts just fell short of getting us back to Solihull behind the Castle.
    It was good of the GWS to allow us to visit the site during the layover and,reading your post,they obviously helped your boys whilst you were trying to effect the necessary repairs,I don't envy you crawling about under the hot bolier trying to remove the damaged rod with the clock ticking against you.Its' a pity that our train was further delayed at Banbury waiting for other trains to pass which meant a late arrival back home in Wakefield,especially with the loss of the hours' sleep!,but these things happen from time to time,unfortunately.

13. Alberta 45562

Alberta 45562 Part of the furniture

Train Simulator Developer
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Many thanks for the information Bob,so glad to hear you fixed her succesfully,it is always great to hear your input as opposed to much of the tosh that goes on here!

Cheers,
    Mark

14. Pannier Man

Pannier Man Member

Network Rail - Retired
    Gullible.... dammit, knew I should have nicked those 1" drive sockets while you back was turned.
    Besides, it was way more entertaining than spending the day rubbing down paint on a pannier tank!

Glad you, the crew, 5043 and your repertoir of jokes got home ok.

15. Autotank

Autotank Member

Radio Producer
    Is that a freshly overhauled Mk 1 in the middle of the formation? Don't think I've seen it on VT trips before.

16. Bob Meanley

Bob Meanley New Member

Not exactly freshly overhauled, though repainted in the not too distant past Mk 1 FO 3125, on loan from Locomotive Services